TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking to build a 91-96 model landcruiser from gound up. I find them to be really great looking and practical trucks. but I need help with the best year. as far as locking diffs go, do any of them have this option. i think my old 91' that i used to own had CDL but im not sure if anything beter was available in any other years. also, how do most of you guys feel about the power. I used to own one and felt it was underpowered, does anyone do v8 conversions to thiers. I want to do this project right ( I owned a 89' pickup in college that I really slapped together with the little bit of cash i came across) and I want to really put some money into this to make it a great rig, mostly for camping and adventure driving, long road trips from houston to west texas, colorado, eas coast. but still be able to take on trails and beaches. any help with this is greatly appreciated. I am starting from scratch here, just some play money Ive saved and looking to do this right.

any recomendations, assistance, tips is all welcome

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I am looking to build a 91-96 model landcruiser from gound up. I find them to be really great looking and practical trucks. but I need help with the best year. as far as locking diffs go, do any of them have this option. i think my old 91' that i used to own had CDL but im not sure if anything beter was available in any other years. also, how do most of you guys feel about the power. I used to own one and felt it was underpowered, does anyone do v8 conversions to thiers. I want to do this project right ( I owned a 89' pickup in college that I really slapped together with the little bit of cash i came across) and I want to really put some money into this to make it a great rig, mostly for camping and adventure driving, long road trips from houston to west texas, colorado, eas coast. but still be able to take on trails and beaches. any help with this is greatly appreciated. I am starting from scratch here, just some play money Ive saved and looking to do this right.

any recomendations, assistance, tips is all welcome
Here is the basics between the two. The 91-92 is less efficient then 1FZ-FE and is under powered for its size. I would go with the 1FZ-FE for the simply three reason(Power/OBDII/Front&Rear locker option). If you don't already know they both drink gas like no other. Look at the FAQ on IH8MUD.com.

91-92 used the 3FE
FJ80 - An 80 series Land Cruiser powered by a 3FE engine
No factory front/rear locker available
OBD I

93-97
FZJ80 - An 80 series Land Cruiser powered by the 1FZ-FE engine
Factory front/rear locker available
OBD II

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scuba: thanks for the heads up on Ih8mud.com

Rubbertramp: Thanks for this info, do you know how i can tell which models had the front and rear lockers, and roughly how common it was.

Im not to familiar with the OBDI and II, but from what i have just read, it seems like the computer will be able to tell me more specifically what problems the vehicle has.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Scuba: thanks for the heads up on Ih8mud.com

Rubbertramp: Thanks for this info, do you know how i can tell which models had the front and rear lockers, and roughly how common it was.

Im not to familiar with the OBDI and II, but from what i have just read, it seems like the computer will be able to tell me more specifically what problems the vehicle has.

Look at the Vin on the door. Next to the axle code should be K294 which indicates Lockers and K292 indicates no Lockers. This is the best way to determine. You will find the knob for the lockers on the left side of the steering wheel along the dash. Be sure the lockers function before you buy.

OBDI-paper clip to jump circuit to read fault codes(count CEL flashes:().

OBDII-Scan Gauge:headbang:

·
Registered
61 Posts
93-94 had OBD I also. 95-97 Had OBDII

Roughly 10 percent of the vehicles sold had lockers. You can also get the LX 450 which was sold in 96 and 97.

These rigs are heavy and well built. I find that the power is adequate, even when towing. If you are in the rockies, that may not be the case...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't know where you're located but my sister in the Sacramento, CA area may be selling my old rig, a bone stock '96 Landcruiser with 180K miles and the TRD Supercharger. It's got great power with the blower but it doesn't have lockers. It would be a great starting point for a build. I'd buy it back but I already have two project rigs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts