TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in Dallas, TX, moving to Virginia next summer, and then on to Africa in 2023. I will be looking for a reliable, 4x4, vehicle (SUV or truck with bed cap for family of four) to buy here in the US that will have plenty of parts and service knowledge available in Africa. I've learned that Toyotas are the most popular make of vehicle in Africa.
This will be in a very dusty/sandy environment. I'm here to learn as much as I can (vehicle pros and cons, what to avoid, DIY service, after market parts, etc.), and ultimately find a vehicle to buy and ship over with us. I'm not looking for anything pretty, but more suited for the environment. I have plenty of time to research, but I want to be pro-active and know what to look for.

Thanks everyone.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,596 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

Big difference between US vehicles and those Toyota builds for the rest of the world. Left vs right hand drive, gas vs diesel, different model types, etc. If you want something you can find parts and service in Africa, buy a vehicle in Africa and don't export a US model. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear what you're saying, and that thought has crossed my mind. My company is willing to ship one vehicle over for us, and we plan to buy a lesser, second vehicle when we get there. They have an American mechanic to help employees with repairs of their vehicles. We won't be buying anything new here or there. Buying both vehicles that have spent years in a sub-Saharan environment doesn't seem ideal (so much fine desert sand and dust is hard on vehicles), not to mention what kind of whacko African car dealer or individual I may end up having to buy from. So ultimately, I'd like to bring one vehicle I have faith in. I won't be doing any heavy off-roading unless it's an emergency.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hear what you're saying, and that thought has crossed my mind. My company is willing to ship one vehicle over for us, and we plan to buy a lesser, second vehicle when we get there. They have an American mechanic to help employees with repairs of their vehicles. We won't be buying anything new here or there. Buying both vehicles that have spent years in a sub-Saharan environment doesn't seem ideal (so much fine desert sand and dust is hard on vehicles), not to mention what kind of whacko African car dealer or individual I may end up having to buy from. So ultimately, I'd like to bring one vehicle I have faith in. I won't be doing any heavy off-roading unless it's an emergency.
Can't go wrong with an 80 series Land Cruiser

1 - 4 of 4 Posts