TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about renting a spring compressor to change the crappy front shocks in my truck. Someone told me that a few years ago a local "kid" was found dead in his parents garage with a large chunck of his head and a coil spring embedded in the ceiling. We can all guess how that happened. Is using a spring compressor really dangerous? If the compressor is of high quality, in good shape, and used by a half-way intelligent person who can read directions is the job all that dangerous? I would think that if one took his/her time, and kept the "armed" spring pointed in a safe direction that the job wouldn't be that bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
yes they are...IMO...if you have no expericen with them....i don't recommand using them at all...take the springs to a shop to save ur life!!..that's crazy some kid died!!

FYI...i had my trd coils (progressive coils) compressed with 3" spacers at tire kindom and they end up breaking the compressor...it was wall mounted also...i don't know what coil springs u are going to use but IMO i wouldn't use it because i have no expericense with it...and i dont' think i well every use it after seeing that coil compressor bust!

but i did get it compressed at NTB...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
He's absolutey correct!! Take them to a shop and get them done..I have done many sets and still get nervous knowing what "could" happen..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
838 Posts
ditto...I have done some before, and its scary to say the least ...the last set I did we took to Big-O and they charged $40 for the pair...well worth it IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Everyone is right it is dangerous. Me and my cousin did two sets mine and his and I wont do it again. I borrowed the compressors from auto zone and it took me and my cousin holding the spring one person each side to crank it down. The kind I used like a long bolt with a hook on the top that fit like a washer and the bottom hook screwed on like a nut. It's not a good Idea its hard to turn and takes awhile. Just save your time and facial features and go to a shop who has the proper equipment.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,997 Posts
97TacoDude said:
I'm thinking about renting a spring compressor to change the crappy front shocks in my truck. Someone told me that a few years ago a local "kid" was found dead in his parents garage with a large chunck of his head and a coil spring embedded in the ceiling. We can all guess how that happened. Is using a spring compressor really dangerous? If the compressor is of high quality, in good shape, and used by a half-way intelligent person who can read directions is the job all that dangerous? I would think that if one took his/her time, and kept the "armed" spring pointed in a safe direction that the job wouldn't be that bad.
There's a bunch of different ways you could injure/kill yourself working on your truck, just have some common sense. I've compressed springs before, it's no big deal. Just be safe about it.

Later,
....Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There are many horror stories. There's one about a local chain tire/suspension store that will remain un-named. Anyway, it was "rush hour" with many customers in front of the counter. Suddenly a spring and a string of one of the workers intestines came flying through the observation window into the lobby and impacted a sample tire, bouncing off and landing at the feet of some customers. Not pretty. Needless to say the worker was killed. I am scared to death of spring compressors.

I forgot to mention that Kermit the Frog and a guy from The Chemical Brothers was in the waiting room.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
97TacoDude said:
I'm thinking about renting a spring compressor to change the crappy front shocks in my truck. Someone told me that a few years ago a local "kid" was found dead in his parents garage with a large chunck of his head and a coil spring embedded in the ceiling. We can all guess how that happened. Is using a spring compressor really dangerous? If the compressor is of high quality, in good shape, and used by a half-way intelligent person who can read directions is the job all that dangerous? I would think that if one took his/her time, and kept the "armed" spring pointed in a safe direction that the job wouldn't be that bad.
Yup, it happens. Even the shop that I had my 2nd set done at had had an accident with their heavy duty wall-mount unit.

Unless you have and air-ratchet and at least a 20gal compressor, forget it. Even then, the experience is nerve-racking to say the least.

Pay the $ and have them done. Average price that I've seen posted is from $20/pr to $40/side. shop around.

been there, done that
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
I heard a story once about this guy filling up his truck at the local gas station, and the pump slipped and went up his ass, and it fill up his colon like a water balloon, and then he sharted and some lady on the other side of the pump was talking on her cell phone and a spark shot out of it and the shart spray ignited and her hair melted to her hand which melted to her phone, and her ear became fused with her acrylic nails and the gas station attendant came running over to help her but he got disemboweled by a flying coil spring from this dude's tacoma when him and his buddy were trying to install a spacer in their garage a few days earlier, and the spring kept flying and hit a school bus and decapitated the bus driver, then ricocheted off the handrail and flew back through the bus and killed like 30 of the 40 kids by coiling in one eye then through their skulls, grinding up their brains, then coiling out of their other eye. Then the coil flew across the river with chunks of gall bladder and liver and eyeballs hanging from it, and the fish in the river jumped up and ate pieces of the raw entrails as it flew by, and then it landed at the feet of a young couple making out at a riverside park on their lunchbreak. I heard it was nasty, and the young couple were kinda freaked out by it. You should just have an experienced shop do your coils.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
synovus said:
I heard a story once about this guy filling up his truck at the local gas station, and the pump slipped and went up his ass, and it fill up his colon like a water balloon, and then he sharted and some lady on the other side of the pump was talking on her cell phone and a spark shot out of it and the shart spray ignited and her hair melted to her hand which melted to her phone, and her ear became fused with her acrylic nails and the gas station attendant came running over to help her but he got disemboweled by a flying coil spring from this dude's tacoma when him and his buddy were trying to install a spacer in their garage a few days earlier, and the spring kept flying and hit a school bus and decapitated the bus driver, then ricocheted off the handrail and flew back through the bus and killed like 30 of the 40 kids by coiling in one eye then through their skulls, grinding up their brains, then coiling out of their other eye. Then the coil flew across the river with chunks of gall bladder and liver and eyeballs hanging from it, and the fish in the river jumped up and ate pieces of the raw entrails as it flew by, and then it landed at the feet of a young couple making out at a riverside park on their lunchbreak. I heard it was nasty, and the young couple were kinda freaked out by it. You should just have an experienced shop do your coils.
LOL. Can you recite that in one breath? :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,997 Posts
hytenor said:
LOL. Can you recite that in one breath? :D
That's kinda like the story about how when you install a lockright and drive in rain or snow you will spin out and fly off a cliff and roll 47 times and land on a busload of handicapped kids bursting into flame and killing yourself because you installed a lockright and drove on rain.

Later,
....Mike
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
Mike said:
That's kinda like the story about how when you install a lockright and drive in rain or snow you will spin out and fly off a cliff and roll 47 times and land on a busload of handicapped kids bursting into flame and killing yourself because you installed a lockright and drove on rain.

Later,
....Mike
but at the speeds you drive you don't have that problem ;)

I will hopefully be joining the slow-motion crowd by AZ rocks ;)
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
synovus said:
Anything's possible with enough helium... or nitrous. :D
Hmm, and that would enable you to do that in one breath, how? :p

I could probably teach you ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
synovus said:
I heard a story once about this guy filling up his truck at the local gas station, and the pump slipped and went up his ass, and it fill up his colon like a water balloon, and then he sharted and some lady on the other side of the pump was talking on her cell phone and a spark shot out of it and the shart spray ignited and her hair melted to her hand which melted to her phone, and her ear became fused with her acrylic nails and the gas station attendant came running over to help her but he got disemboweled by a flying coil spring from this dude's tacoma when him and his buddy were trying to install a spacer in their garage a few days earlier, and the spring kept flying and hit a school bus and decapitated the bus driver, then ricocheted off the handrail and flew back through the bus and killed like 30 of the 40 kids by coiling in one eye then through their skulls, grinding up their brains, then coiling out of their other eye. Then the coil flew across the river with chunks of gall bladder and liver and eyeballs hanging from it, and the fish in the river jumped up and ate pieces of the raw entrails as it flew by, and then it landed at the feet of a young couple making out at a riverside park on their lunchbreak. I heard it was nasty, and the young couple were kinda freaked out by it. You should just have an experienced shop do your coils.
LOL !! Thats the best story Ive ever heard! haha im still laughing!

p.s. just be safe and use a quality compressor, be sure to clean and oil the threads before you get going on any sort of puller or a compressor like this becuase that can make or break a puller. And its faster but I wouldnt really recommend and impact becuase the operation could be jerky and make things more dangerouse than they need be, just take it smooth and easy with a wrench and a vise. Oh and oil your threads! It went without any problems the 3 times ive done mine(twice becuase I lined up the spacer wrong the first time) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
Sure it can be dangerous. Just get spring compressors with the biggest diameter stud you can, and don't scimp on the cost, low cost = low quality. Don't point a loaded spring at your head, it's a shame that young kid didn't have someone to tell him that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
jason demello did mine, hes buff and did it with his bare hands, no actually he used the compressor too. it was money well spent IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
synovus said:
I heard a story once about this guy filling up his truck at the local gas station, and the pump slipped and went up his ass, and it fill up his colon like a water balloon, and then he sharted and some lady on the other side of the pump was talking on her cell phone and a spark shot out of it and the shart spray ignited and her hair melted to her hand which melted to her phone, and her ear became fused with her acrylic nails and the gas station attendant came running over to help her but he got disemboweled by a flying coil spring from this dude's tacoma when him and his buddy were trying to install a spacer in their garage a few days earlier, and the spring kept flying and hit a school bus and decapitated the bus driver, then ricocheted off the handrail and flew back through the bus and killed like 30 of the 40 kids by coiling in one eye then through their skulls, grinding up their brains, then coiling out of their other eye. Then the coil flew across the river with chunks of gall bladder and liver and eyeballs hanging from it, and the fish in the river jumped up and ate pieces of the raw entrails as it flew by, and then it landed at the feet of a young couple making out at a riverside park on their lunchbreak. I heard it was nasty, and the young couple were kinda freaked out by it. You should just have an experienced shop do your coils.
:lmao: :lmao: i'm crying over here!!!! :lmao: :lmao:
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top