TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.... so long story short, I lost my left rear wheel while traveling north on I-25 on Sunday. I was pulling my camper at the time.

10 days prior, I had my truck serviced. After having a number of insurance adjusters and many others look over all the pictures, I am 99.9% sure the service tech did not tighten the lugs. I don't want to get to much into the specifics because I may need to get a lawyer involved. It has been moved to a body shop and they will be inspecting the frame in the next few days. Once I am 100% sure the shop is taking care of everything I can post up some pictures.

My insurance company is on it and it looks like the shop is going to pay for all the repairs. The insurance adjuster has asked me to compile a list of what I believe needs to be inspected / replaced. This is where I need everyone else's help.

I have brought up the obvious, leaf springs, axle housing, all axle / brake parts on left side, wheel, tire, hitch assy, etc. Can anyone think of anything non obvious that needs to be checked out? My adjuster has been awesome and has really appreciated all of my input.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Damn, that's scary. Glad you made it out ok.

As far as the list, I'm surprised they've asked YOU to tell them what's wrong with it. Sure, it's in your best interest but it's not your job. Can you take it to a 3rd party shop and ask for an estimate. I don't know what your relationship is with the shop that didn't tighten the lug nuts but I doubt I would take it back there again.

I would just tell them everything needs to be inspected and then from there you can compile a replacement list.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
First thing, Its good your OK! You could have been killed! Boulder Toy didnt tighten the lugs on the FJ last time it was in and I caught it cause they were starting to fall off. We got the "Were sorry" and they mailed me 2 lugs.

Sounds like your on the right track with everything. Id be super picky with it and pick out any paint flaws or damage you can. Take it to the shop of your choice and i would suggest SVE in broomfield.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone walked away from this, including the guy who was hit by the wheel on the other side of the highway.

They plan on going thru everything, I just told him I wanted the final say in what was done, since this was not directly my fault.

For instance, they had only planned on replacing one leaf spring. I had mentioned that they should be replaced in pairs since they had settled. He agreed and asked me to put together a list of my "concerns". He had stated at the end of the day, he is here to make sure I am 100% satisfied, and that every concern I had would be dealt with.

Basically I am just trying to make sure I don't get screwed in the long run because something was overlooked. I am by no means a mechanic, and most of my mechanical knowledge pertains to things that fly.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Replace it all in pairs. Your agent wont care cause im guessing they will just be going after the shop that did the work. Were any wheel studs busted off? I can only imagine how scarry that would be to drop a tire while towing. Im going home to rotate my tires and check my lugs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4 studs were broken, two were still full length, just bent a little as the wheel left. The weird thing is that 3 of the lug holes in the rim were galled, not 2.

The freakiest part was watching the wheel pass us, bounce 50 feet into the air over the guard rail, and then bounce into on-coming traffic. Had the truck it hit head on not had roof rack that extended over the cab, the other driver would probably be dead right now.

Everyone, including the state patrol, said that the camper probably saved our lives. It kept us from rolling and I used the trailer brakes to stop us once I lost the brakes on the truck.

·
7,735 Posts
I was in a truck that hit a tire head on like that, fucking destroyed the little ford courier we were in.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Damn glad to hear that you and everyone else is ok. List seems good but I do agree with Russ, replace everything in pairs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Must have been worked on at Discount Tire in Fort Collins. They rotated the tires on Lauren's Tacoma and now its missing a locking lug.
Wasn't discount. Last time I was at discount I watched the tech tighten each lug nut with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Glad everyone was ok, I saw your truck sitting there on I25 that day on my way home. It looked pretty bad and was wondering what had happened. Didn't see anyone in the truck, otherwise I woulda pulled over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts