TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, ran a search to try to see if anyone else had this problem and had no luck. Anyways, have an 05 db cab short bed, with a top-load spacer lift up front, fond of the softer ride. Been ridin' w/this lift for about 8,000 miles, and no problems. Lately though when turning the wheels sharply (almost to the steer stops) there is a loud bang noise that comes from the front end. I have double checked the tighteness and torque of everything up front. When turning into a drive way, going slow, but turning sharp, it makes a nasty metal-to-metal noise. Sounds like something is breaking. Checked to see if the sway bar was making contact with coils, but notta! Everything up front is snug tight. The noise does not continue as you hold the wheel cut, like it would if it were a cv issue. Bad cv's sound like crap all the time! Plus, I can't get this noise to happen all the time, even if I get the truck off camber with the wheels cut sharp. The noise sounds as if something is getting hung up, and then suddenly letting loose. Well, hope this wasn't a double post, if it is, oops. Burrow

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's probably the steering stops. you've finally rubbed off the plastic cap off the part on the hub and it's grinding on the control arm.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read about that before, but I went over to my brother-in-law's to check his brand spankin' new 07 db cab, and there are no plastic caps near or on his steer stops. What a shitty noise, hope you are right, cos if you are correct then this is not a big problem. Thanks for the input, I'll drive by a dealer and get under a new truck to see if I can find these caps you are talking about. You are not the only person I've heard about these steering caps from, so you must be on to something. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Best guess: the problem is the coil spring hitting the UCA and popping over it. I had the same problem with mine until I went to the TC arms. Check the spring for wear marks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
checked that last night, but could not tell if the wear was from the uca or me when I was re-installing the coils. Uca's do not appear to come anywhere close to hitting the coils, but a friend of mine told me the same thing you did! Guess maybe the coils really bow when under load from turning? I'm not even running 2" of lift. The noise really does sound like it is from the coil, but I just couldn't see where the coil could cause that noise. Thanks for the help, Burrow

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You're welcome. I was stumped when it first happened on my truck too. The TC arms took care of this prob. The springs do bow quite a bit under load. The biggest problem you will have is when you are at full droop, then you will really hear it. It's annoying, but IMO doesn't do any significant damage to the arm or coil. I just couldn't see driving a new 30K truck with this noise.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I actually had this same issue except it would happen to me evertime I turned to the left but not to the right...

My passeneger side CV boot had a huge tear in it so i replaced it and disconnected the sway bar and never reconnected it and now the sound is gone...i only have the 881 OME coils everything else is still stock. (about 1.5" of lift).

At first it started out as not happening all the time with just me in the truck but as soon as a passenger would hop in it would happen every single time i would turn the wheel further then 9 oclock to the left. Then it got to the point where it happened all the time turning to the left no matter what.

Not sure which one of these fixed it...but it doesn't make the sound anymore.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Did it sound like a loud metal to metal "snap"????

hahaha Demello installed my UCA's and the next day i heard that noise after full lock turn. I called DO and they said it was something to do with the A-Arm, they were quite busy so they werent able to elaborate, but basically they told me that they have gotten complaints about that before and it was typically normal. I trust them......

So ive had my lift on for about 15k and i hear that noise from time to time and nothing "bad" has happened yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks again, that noise is terrible sounding, and it does not do it all the time, wish I had the $ for some new arms! Like you said, it can't hurt too much, except your pride maybe. With a new kid I think new arms are out of the question for now. Burrow

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my cv's are just fine and no tears. Doesn't your vehicle rock like hell when turning without your sway bar installed? Never tried so I wouldn't know. Just wondering! burrow

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, that metal to metal noise is great sounding! Especially on a $30,000.00 truck! As long as nothing gets prematurally worn, then who cares. Drive it like truck, a nice one that is! Well, for now anyways. Burrow

·
Registered
532 Posts
is your swaybar bolted down tight on ALL connections? try disconnecting it and duplicating the problem. if it goes away with the swaybar off then thats whats causing the noise. the swaybar gave me a noise like that before from being loose.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
unfortunately the sway bar is quite snug, wish that was the issue, cause that would be easy to fix! Thanks for the advice though, Burrow

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is not too bad with the sway bar disconnected. I mostly drive free-ways...i'm not entering into any street races or anything...and only half of it is disconnected...my driver's side is still connected...

I haven't noticed any thing drastic with body roll with the sway bar disconected...if it is more then I haven't noticed it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how is one end disconnected? I'm in a 2005 db cab tacoma. The ends of my sway bar attaches to the steering knuckle assembly with little rods having ball joints on both ends. Not sure how one side being hooked up and the other not, would fly?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the endlinks were causing noise for someone at somepoint on this site. Something about them not moving freely. I don't think it was a newer Taco though. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I am a noob and my head might be up my ass though....

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
BurntOrngeLonghorn said:
It is not too bad with the sway bar disconnected. I mostly drive free-ways...i'm not entering into any street races or anything...and only half of it is disconnected...my driver's side is still connected...

I haven't noticed any thing drastic with body roll with the sway bar disconected...if it is more then I haven't noticed it.
The sway bar doesn't work at all with one side discoed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
mojavegold said:
Really? Since my sway bar on my 99' is connected at 4 points - two to the frame (which is the part that mainly controls the body roll) and then to each LCA (not to the steering knuckle). I thought a sway bar is just a bar that keeps the body roll to a minimum by acting as the limiting factor and keeping the body/frame true with respect to the LCAs when you turn. With both sides connected the system works perfectly as it is intended.

With my reasoning I figured with only one side disconnected the other side would still have forces and loads acting on it still limiting "some" of the body roll. I know that it won't work as well and probably puts more stress on it until it finally gives too, but it still has some function.

I realize the body roll that i problably save is very minimal and maybe insignificant but i was too lazy to unbolt the other side at the time :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mojavegold said:
Hey, found the noise, had to tighten the lower a-arm, weird, it was tight, but I torqued the bajesus out of it. It was not the sway bar, and thanks for your time, Burrow

·
Registered
181 Posts
burrow said:
Hey, found the noise, had to tighten the lower a-arm, weird, it was tight, but I torqued the bajesus out of it. It was not the sway bar, and thanks for your time, Burrow
good you found it. so what was causing the noise?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts