TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally installed the last part of the URD fuel kit today, the 318 injectors, on first startup the motor knocks so loudly its sounds like a blown motor. Ive got the fuel maps at 10 and timing at 0. Like it matters cuz I shut down instantly. The wideband was reading 10.0 flat. What could cause this?

One possibility-I used an excessive amount of liquid wrench on the old injectors so they would come out cleanly. Enough to pool up on the shelf where the grommet that you re-use goes. Could the liquid wrench in the chambers cause this? What should I do?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you drop something in your manifold while the s/c was off?

Look for missing sockets, bits or other tools that are not in your chest tool...

Remove your spark plugs and crank the engine. Be carefull if something shoots out.

Sorry to say but if its that loud, you might have to pull off heads or possibly get a new engine...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Did you fix your s/c'er? I saw that you broke the ear off the mount. Are you sure none of those fragments fell into the top end?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really dont think anything fell in there, I duct taped the s out of them sides and all?
Anyone know if the liquid wrench pooling in the combustion chamber could cause loud knock?

·
Registered
772 Posts
VF'N8 said:
I really dont think anything fell in there, I duct taped the s out of them sides and all?
Anyone know if the liquid wrench pooling in the combustion chamber could cause loud knock?
Depends on how much was in the cylinder. And I don't think anyone is going to know the exact amount of fluid it would take to cause a motor to lock. I've heard of some rare cases of people locking motors when doing seafoam treatments through the PCV or Brake booster too fast.

If you had to guess how much do you think was in the cylinder? Have you tried turning it over by hand as I suggested? It's pretty simple if you've never done it before. Just get a socket and wrench on the crankbolt and turn.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Pull the drive belt off of the SC and try it again for just a little bit. The rotors could be banging together after that break. Not for long now, remember you're running on just the battery alone. Make sure the SC bypass is open too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well whatever it was its gone thank god, it all of a sudden went away after about 45 sec running. Who knows, but I drove it all evening and its all good!!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Coulda' been the ECU learning the new fuel curve. Did you reset the ECU after installing the URD kit?

·
Registered
47 Posts
You are certainly correct Dick. My sarcasm implied only that something may have damaged a valve, and a compression check would be a good idea. Strange things happen and parts drop into the oddest places. I ounce lost a large 9/16 socket after rebuilding the heads om my thunderbird. Didn't find it for the longest time, months, it was in the Cat, no idea how.

WT

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
A compression check may be in order. My guess is that you dropped that socket into the exhaust. It wouldn't be at all hard to do while bolting a header or manifold back up to a head or even fitting up to the collector.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turned out to be no big deal thank god, After about 45 sec of idling it just stopped and 100 miles later ive heard nothing but normal sounds. All I can guess is that because I soaked the shit out of the stock injectors with liquid wrench, that is what was burning in the combustion chamber, bad or in this case abnormal fuel can definately cause knock. Fwwwooooo!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts