TTORA Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are the man. I added this washer and fix the pinging. The drive shaft does feel more solid as well, removes play in the shaft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just ordered mine, drives me crazy. I have a manual and i down shift so every load/unload it does it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, my 2003 Prerunner 2WD is doing the same thing. I'm wondering if adding the 3rd shim will work the same way because it seems like everyone here has a 4x4? If so, would the shim go where the axle and driveshaft attach or the driveshaft and transmission i.e. back or front?

I also read the below post on another thread. If my problem isn't the shim it seems that this is the other logical problem. See below...

"It's in the center carrier bearing area where the 2 piece drive shaft meets. I've had this problem before, sometimes it'll come and then go, other trucks it comes and never leaves. Not enough grease on the splines. Pull it apart, grease the shit out of it, and it's fine!"

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just an FYI or update.

I have replaced both u joints, CSB added the third washer and i still have the horrible ping.

Anybody else have a new take on this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depending on the action my truck receives I have to lube the slip-yoke on the drive shaft about every 1-2 months. I usually add enough to get the shaft to start moving out of the yoke, then the ping goes away for another month or two. This is my fix until I can afford a new drive shaft or possibly get a professional opinion

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hate to revive an old thread, but I'm experiencing a very similar sound on my newly purchased 1998 Tacoma SR5 4x4 with about 265k miles. The previous owner just did a bunch of work (timing belt, transfer case/diff flush, etc) and lifted it 3". Wondering if the lift changed the angle of the shaft enough to create a "pinging" sound. The sound happens when I engage the gas pedal, let off of it, or create substantial front-to-back motion otherwise while in gear. Upon purchase the sound was not audible and developed after 2 nights of US Forest Service road travel (i.e., mild off-road activity). So far I have applied grease to the entire rear driveshaft, including the slip yoke, checked the u-joints for play, and am close to taking the entire shaft off and trying this third washer trick. Any reason I shouldn't and/or are there any better recommendations? I am also considering replacing the carrier bearing while I have the driveshaft off. Any constructive input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hate to revive an old thread, but I'm experiencing a very similar sound on my newly purchased 1998 Tacoma SR5 4x4 with about 265k miles. The previous owner just did a bunch of work (timing belt, transfer case/diff flush, etc) and lifted it 3". Wondering if the lift changed the angle of the shaft enough to create a "pinging" sound. The sound happens when I engage the gas pedal, let off of it, or create substantial front-to-back motion otherwise while in gear. Upon purchase the sound was not audible and developed after 2 nights of US Forest Service road travel (i.e., mild off-road activity). So far I have applied grease to the entire rear driveshaft, including the slip yoke, checked the u-joints for play, and am close to taking the entire shaft off and trying this third washer trick. Any reason I shouldn't and/or are there any better recommendations? I am also considering replacing the carrier bearing while I have the driveshaft off. Any constructive input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I've never had pinging but did replace my carrier bearing. It had about 1/4" of up/down movement by hand. I doubt it's the carrier bearing. I'm at 225K miles, 01 Taco, plenty of 4WD time and never replaced anything else in the drivetrain (except CVs).

21 - 27 of 27 Posts