TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a '95 4runner 3.0: compression check on #4 (pulling one plug at a time) was 105. Number 6 was 155. I shot some WD-40 into #4 and that brought the compression up to 120. The vehicle had a valve job less than 10 thousand miles ago. The person that owns it wants to take it back to the person that did the valve job, but I think it is a ring problem. Could this still be a valve problem?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Definitely rings, when the compression goes up after you squirt oil in, that is a sign of rings...I am having this exact problem right now also. :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
I don't know a whole lot about the lifter/cam follower setup on the 3.0, so I figured I would post as a "last chance". I have had one (pushrod) engine dump compression after a head replace, and it was problems with the hydraulic lifters. The person bought this vehicle because it just had the valve job, and passed smog. The engine has about 100k miles on it. Personally, I think doing just the valves on an engine ups the compression, putting new pressure on the lower end, and you get things like this happening.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had only time to check those 2 cylinders for the owner. Someone else had reported the #4 problem, and she did not trust them. I was doing minimal troubleshooting to avoid getting drawn into the saga.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts