TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far can you Drive with the Low fuel indicator on? Driving conservatively.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i usaully get really paranoid about it so the farthest i have ever driven with the gas light on is about 10 miles or so to a gas station and filled er up....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oddly enough, I don't have a low fuel indicator. I have a low washer fluid indicator, but no low fuel indicator that I can find. But after the needle dips down below E where I usually fill it up, it still generally has 4 gallons in the tank. You do the math.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
EVOM1 said:
on my truck i have about 3 gallons of gas left when my light turns on. with my foot in it i get 10 mpg. so i can go 30 miles with my foot to the floor, 45 or so if i drive conservatively

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you do the math, you would know how far you can drive. As soon as you see the low fuel indicator come on, if you pull over and fill up you will probably be able to fill the tank with about 16 gallons. The tank is 18.5 gallons, SO, that means you have about 2 and 1/2 gallons left when the light comes on, or at least that is the way it is in my truck. I get roughly 19mpg in my truck (v6). If it was an emergency, I think I could count on driving 50 miles more after the indicator comes on, and then I would end up running out of gas.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just wondering because I pulled in to the parking lot at work. Although the light isn't on it will be soon, all the gas stations are far away. Thank for all your input.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I don't have a low fuel light either, but once it is below the E I can go about 20 or so miles. I guess Toyota didn't put them in 99's, although my parents 99 4 Runner has one.

·
Registered
793 Posts
EVOM1 said:
I can probably get 36 more miles once the indicator lights up and stays lit.
Furthest I've ever pushed it was 30 more miles however.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
jtaco1 said:
I don't have a low fuel light either, but once it is below the E I can go about 20 or so miles. I guess Toyota didn't put them in 99's, although my parents 99 4 Runner has one.

My 99 has one and my 98 had one also. Might've only been on certain packages, both my trucks were SR5's.
I've only seen it come on one time, I ran about 20 miles before filling up and had about 2 gals left in the tank.
Tim

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've come to rely on my trip odo. The best mileage I've ever seen was approx. 400 miles on an 18. gal tank. (2000 2.7l 5 sp.SR5) About 22 MPG in warm weather. Winter and oxygenated fuel bring it down 3-4 MPG's. I too don't have a low fuel light. But last week, while only about a mile from home, the low washer fluid light came on. I pulled over and called AAA. I didn't want to chance it!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Oddly enough, you can drive with the low fuel light on RIGHT up to the point you run out of gas. Then, you get out and push.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
tbplus10 said:
My 99 has one and my 98 had one also. Might've only been on certain packages, both my trucks were SR5's.
I've only seen it come on one time, I ran about 20 miles before filling up and had about 2 gals left in the tank.
Tim
I've never had a low fuel light come on in my 2000. I guess a dashboard check in daylight will show if it's there. Once I left for work knowing it was low and it started stalling. I luckily coasted into a nearby gas station. We don't see no stink'n low fuel light.

·
Kill Yourself!
2,091 Posts
I think I have only seen the light once since I have owned the truck. I get all freaked out when its at 1/4 of a tank and I fill it up. So mine really never gets that low.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
00Andy said:
Oddly enough, I don't have a low fuel indicator. I have a low washer fluid indicator, but no low fuel indicator that I can find. But after the needle dips down below E where I usually fill it up, it still generally has 4 gallons in the tank. You do the math.
Oddly enough my 2000 has neither a low fuel or low w/w fluid indicator.

·
Registered
74 Posts
agroal said:
I've never had a low fuel light come on in my 2000. I guess a dashboard check in daylight will show if it's there. Once I left for work knowing it was low and it started stalling. I luckily coasted into a nearby gas station. We don't see no stink'n low fuel light.
I've checked it in daylight and with a flashlight and I can't find anything. I've also had that happen where you start rounding corners and the truck sputters. Last time I ended up coasting into a parking lot - glad I keep a gas can with me!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank all for the info! Filled up this morning after driving 23 miles, I wont go further than that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts