TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 tacoma 4x4 excab, I-4 with close to 90,000 miles. In the past if I drive conservatively, I could get maybe close to 400 miles per tank and the chances of that increased even more when i got a tonneau cover for the bed. I was so suprised that the cover increased my mpg by that much.

Now even with 90% highway driving (sometimes i travel home on some weekends), I cant seem to get more than 300 miles out of my tank. And this is with the tonneau cover on.

I tried the fuel injector cleaners once but it didnt help. Do you recommend adding something stronger or is something wrong?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
JoeYu said:
2000 tacoma 4x4 excab, I-4 with close to 90,000 miles. In the past if I drive conservatively, I could get maybe close to 400 miles per tank and the chances of that increased even more when i got a tonneau cover for the bed. I was so suprised that the cover increased my mpg by that much.

Now even with 90% highway driving (sometimes i travel home on some weekends), I cant seem to get more than 300 miles out of my tank. And this is with the tonneau cover on.

I tried the fuel injector cleaners once but it didnt help. Do you recommend adding something stronger or is something wrong?

Thanks,
Joe
everything still stock?
try a new air filter
clean the MAF sensor
clean the O2 sensor(s)
replace fuel filter (major PITA)
how's your tire pressure?

I used to get 25+ until I started adding mods ;)

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
JoeYu said:

Thanks,
Joe
Ive got a 2000 4wd 2.7 and my best tank ever was 370 (w/ 30" tires, 3.58's), Im stock with, i believe 3.58 gears and now 31's. My tanks lately have run 250-300 as mileage always drops in winter. Mines shitty lately b/c ,Im assuming, it takes my truck 15 mins to warm up parked (its quite cold here lately)(GA), and usually I dont have 15 mins to give it to warm up so Im sure its consuming a lot more gas than usual from not being warmed up completely and it consumes more while warming up driving or parked.
Have you considered the weather where you are or the gas mix? Which changes during the winter.

Also oil viscosity affects mileage say 5w-30 vs 10w- 30 the lower viscosity gives better mileage due to lower friction, a small affect however. Also, tests have shown tail gate up or down has almost no effect on mileage (ie your tonneau cover really wont help, or hurt for that matter besides the fact its added weight).

·
Registered
29 Posts
wow.... i got 15.5 mpg last nite at my fill up!!! Well thats with leftting the truck warm up like 15min befor i drive it because its been friging cold here... But usally in the summer i am only getting 19 or so.... How do u clean o2 sensor???

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
I am lucky to get 250 with my 1998 I-4, I have just over 151K miles
my mileage was great stock, 30" tires and 4:10's gears
As soon as I put 33" ProComp MTs, my mileage dropped down to 250
I wish I could get it back up again!!

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
JoeYu said:

Thanks,
Joe
On my 2002 V6 auto with the snugtop lid i was getting 350 miles on a single tank but since i added the wheelers black alloys and changing the direction on my original bfgs that messed everything up. Since i added the revos its still pretty bad. Im anal when it comes to using fuel injector cleaner every oil change so im pretty sure the tires messed up the mileage some.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
98 Taco said:
I am lucky to get 250 with my 1998 I-4, I have just over 151K miles
my mileage was great stock, 30" tires and 4:10's gears
As soon as I put 33" ProComp MTs, my mileage dropped down to 250
I wish I could get it back up again!!
regear to 4.56s ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
My trucks about bone stock, sans the Amsoil filter.

I can get about 360 out of a tank all hwy. Otherwise, a little over 300, about 320. Worst tank I have gotten was towing my tracker, and that was about low teens, like 13-14 I think. Otherwise I avg pretty well into the hi teens, like 19, and into the 20's on the hwy, 22-24.

Debating heavily and trying to find good tires to buy soon. I got almost 50K on the stockers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything is pretty much stock with the exception of new agressive bridgestone tires-tire pressure dead on. Air filter just changed. Oil is 5w-30 right now. Maybe need a new fuel filter. I havnt done the 90K mile service yet but plan on doing it soon--maybe thats it?

I don't know..., before I could get 340 miles to a tank with my tonneau easy!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Its gotta be the gas.
I too have a I4 and my mileage has been 16-17. I used to average 20. as I live in CA I don't have to worry about allowing the vehicle to warm up, it's already 70 degrees.....:) ;)
I have cleaned the MAF, the TB, and recently the O2 sensors. Cleaning the MAF and TB had no effect. I will not know about the O2 until I fill up again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 95.5 I4 I used to get about 380-400 miles on a tank with the stock 225/75r15 tires. since I moved up to 31/10.50r15s with a K&N fipk and cat back system i'm luckey to get 300 miles on a tank. This week was a killer on my milage with sub zero weather up here had no choice but to let the truck warm up burnt of a quarter of a tank with just 30 miles on the guage. :xcrybaby:

·
Registered
565 Posts
HeloDude said:
How and what do you clean your MAF with?
It's the first electronic connection upstream from the air cleaner. It is attached with two screws. Unplug it, unscrew it, carefully pull it out, and spray it with a plastic safe electronics cleaner you can get at RadioShack for ~$10 a can. Let it sit, and then spray again. some people like to brush it with a q-tip if it is really dirty, but it is a fragile part and it you break it is $250+. I have found just washing with the cleaner is sufficient to get it nice and shiny clean.
Allow it to dry, and then reinstall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts