TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After removing the 4 bolts and the outer tie-rod, how do I get the ball joint loose without buying the SST? How does the new one go back in? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
As I recall you just run the nut up to the top of the threaded stud and give it a whack with a soft hammer and it should pop loose. Then remove the nut and it's outta there. Remember to put some blue locktight on the four bolts when you reinstall it. They have a habit of coming loose. When that happens, it's not fun or pretty.

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Remember to put some blue locktight on the four bolts when you reinstall it. They have a habit of coming loose. When that happens, it's not fun or pretty.
I was driving around with 3 on one side for about 3 years...as the last time I had to pull a CV was at the Tellico Takeover :D

The hole has a good bit of rust too.

All good now

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
After removing the 4 bolts and the outer tie-rod, how do I get the ball joint loose without buying the SST? How does the new one go back in? Thanks in advance
A pickle fork works pretty well to get them out, however it will usually eat the grease boot in the process.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how about getting the ball joint back in, just slide it in and tighten down the nut? (alright no sexual jokes in response to my reply)

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
You don't need to remove the four bolts, just loosen them.

Be sure to support the upper control arm and steering knuckle.

Remove the four bolts when installing the new ball joint.

·
Registered
214 Posts
that sucks!!!!!

I got one out befor buy threading the nut on the bottom bolt to protect the threads and sticking a floor jack under it and picking up the front end with that balljoint shaft and whacking the lower control arm with a 3 pounder a couple times and boom it popped out. when it popped out the control arm will slam down on to the jack and scare the poo out of you but just watch what you are doing and stand clear. it might not be the safest way but it works with the tools that I have in my box. :saw:

RBB

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
If you are still in touch with Ralph, get his help. He had his shear off a year or two back, Yes I mean the ball joints.

Anyway, he had to replace the entire passenger side assembly, He'll be able to help you but it back together

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
ShowStop said:
A pickle fork works pretty well to get them out, however it will usually eat the grease boot in the process.
untill you bend up 3 pickle forks :D :eek: :saw:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
99TanTaco said:
Other than a BFH, a breaker bar and some sockets are there any other tools neccessary to replace a lower ball joint?
What is the "SST" referred to in the first post?
Is there a write-up on this somewhere?
Any other tips or advise (that wasn't already posted above) would be appreciated.
check the date of the thread

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
99TanTaco said:
How does that help? I realize this thread is old (I found it by searching) and thought it would be more appropriate to place my question in this existing thread rather than start a new thread.
it doesnt :D
but this will
if you are REPLACING ball joint
1. take tire off
2. turn rotor so the rear is further out than the front
3. remove cotter pins (recomend gettign new ones) on tie-rod and lower BJ
4. remove 22mm but on tie-rod
5. remove 24mm on bottom of tie-rod
6. use BFH and hit side of BJ where tie-rod is. keep hitting until comes loose, hit it hard, dont hit the rotor, if you hit the backing plate dont worry just bend it back out of the way when you are done, and DO NOT hit the top of the tie-rod bolt
7. when tie-rod is free, remove 4 14mm bolts on bottom of BJ attached to spindle
8. use BFH to hit the bottom of the BJ stud to pop it loose
9. take rubber boot from old BJ and put onto new BJ
10. put new BJ in
11. line up spindle so it sits evenly on balljoint
12. start the 4 14mm spindle bolt in the holes and check to make sure the spindle is on correctly and tighten to approx. 58 ftlbs i believe, you can use lock tight if you want
13. start 24mm BJ nut by hand
14. start 22mm tie-rod nut by hand
15. tighten BJ nut to 105 ft lbs, keep turning till cotter pin hole is lined up
16. install cotter pin into BJ nut
17. tighten tie-rod nut
18. install cotter pin
19. put tire on

thats how i do it all day long at work on the stoopid recall and have both sides done in 15 mins, but i have a lift and air tools, so it will prolly take you longer :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts