TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew both my lower ball joints a while back, presumably when I installed new upper control arms. I've had the parts for a while, I'm finally getting around to changing them out with OEM parts from toyotapartssales.com

2 questions. The FSM says to use both a tie-rod seperator and a lower ball joint seperator to get this done, I have neither. I do have a pickle-fork, though, can I get away with that or do I need the special tools? Second questions is that I haven't been through the box yet, does it have both new cotter pins or do I need to grab another pair?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
your right, it's prob easier with a puller, the hammer method took me about 45min the first time and less than half an hour the second time and my mechanical skills aren't exactly the greatest, never done it with a puller but it's prob a lot easier than laying on your back trying to figure out how to get a good solid hit without accidentally damaging anything

Aurelius: keep in mind you will also need to get your truck alined after changing them so you may want consider letting a alinement shop install them if it's not that much extra $$$ in labor, but it's not that hard to do them yourself

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
99TanTaco said:
Almost forgot the most important part: LOCTITE the (4) 14mm bolts, they have a tendency to work loose no matter how tight you crank them unless they are loctited. Medium strength loctite should be sufficient
Just an FYI those bolts have a torque spec of 57ft/lbs, which means if your over cranking them your probably stripping them out pretty good, ive found that setting these 4 bolts to that torque spec on our race truck we never once lost one of these bolts or had one rip apart.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How bad is it going to throw the alignment off? I'm replacing the entire plate with a Toyota Factory part and figured since there was nothing adjustable on it, I'd be golden.

Only reason I ask is I hadn't budgeted for an alignment and can't find anyone around here that does the lifetime deal.

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
Aurelius said:
How bad is it going to throw the alignment off? I'm replacing the entire plate with a Toyota Factory part and figured since there was nothing adjustable on it, I'd be golden.

Only reason I ask is I hadn't budgeted for an alignment and can't find anyone around here that does the lifetime deal.
Not a problem. No need for an alignment if your just swapping the lower.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Aurelius said:
I blew both my lower ball joints a while back, presumably when I installed new upper control arms. I've had the parts for a while, I'm finally getting around to changing them out with OEM parts from toyotapartssales.com

2 questions. The FSM says to use both a tie-rod seperator and a lower ball joint seperator to get this done, I have neither. I do have a pickle-fork, though, can I get away with that or do I need the special tools? Second questions is that I haven't been through the box yet, does it have both new cotter pins or do I need to grab another pair?
out of curriosity, what is the cost on that pair joints now?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe I paid somewhere on the order of $150 for the pair. Got 'em from our friends at toyotapartsales.com. I could have gotten them local, but they wanted close to $210 for the pair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
Aurelius
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing