TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to re-do the lift on my truck with some CO and uni-ball uppers. My lbj have some grease on them like thier leaking. So my question is Toyota, Moog, Spicer, etc. What have you used? Toyota seema to be the most expensive at about 78 bucks apiece. Moog or spicer has one thats says prof version. 48 bucks. I was just curious............... I'm planning on replacing all front susp parts when I tear it down, Arms, lbj's, tie rod ends, etc. My front end is getting loose now, rattles alot when going over rr tracks and such. I have had a spacer lift on for over five years now. But after reading ALOT of threads on here I've decided to go with Camburg uni-balls and some nice DR, SAW, Coil overs.

Thanks

Ebay has some for like 16 bucks apiece :confused: I don't think I wanna put those on my truck :eek:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Was that the TTORA price for those stock replacements? If not you need to get with either Toyota of Dallas or Champion in Houston to get a better price.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lowers from here are $73, just the listed price.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214074&chapter=APM809&appSectionid=19&groupid=20090&subgroupid=60997&make=34&model=Tacoma&year=1997&catalogid=1

Spicer prof version for 48 bucks,

https://www.rockauto.com/applet3.html

I'm not worried too much about price. 50 or 80 bucks doesn't seem too bad considering all the weight rides on those. I'm looking for the best ones. I don't wanna get junk lbj's and have to replace them in a year if they are JUNK. I'm leaning towards the stock Toyota's but thought I'd ask here first. And maybe get some flaming action here. I've done a bunch of searching but cant find the answer.

Thanks C

·
Registered
140 Posts
It does not show what year Tacoma you have but there is a recall on certain year models for the lower ball joint.If yours falls into the year range and you have not had it done already you can get new ones for free.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I just replaced mine with the OEM from toyota. They are pretty dourable, while you are in there you might want to check out your wheel bearings since you have it all apart anyways. Save your self the hassle or tearing everything apart again in the future. What year and how many mile do you have on it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is a 97 reg cab 4x w/ a 2.7l. I know its not in warranty, ha, not with 210K. Thats a nice thought though. I might do my wheel bearing while I'm in there. I need to do some searching first. Gaskets, o-rings, special pullers or presses, oh yeah some bearings and races, etc.

Front susp was my first concern. My truck has faithfully driven my ass all over with very few problems. A couple of batteries, TPS, front brake pads once, and an A/C tube that decided that it needed a hole in it. I was going to reward it with some softer springs for the last of its life. Shit, i'll keep this truck for another five years or so. I gotta see if I can get 300K out of that clutch :eek:

I was thinking the Toyota lbj's were probably the better of the ones i've found, but just wanted a second opinon.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I had to replace my wheel bearing after I let mine sit for the better part of 2 years (deployed) so when I came home and my drivers side wheel bearing was frozen I just replace everything (upper and lower BJ, wheel bearings, inner/outter tie rods and poly rack bushings). Just make sure you have all of the parts before your tear into it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Toyasaurus
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing