TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for the newb question, so today im driving around, and i get lazy in a parking lot, so instead of backing up, I decide to go over the median type bump stop thing. the thing is only 5-6 inches tall at most. anyway, it felt like i bottomed out somewhere, I didn't think about stopping to check, but when i got home, i looked and it looked like my muffler, right behind the tranny support bar got bumped up a little. im kinda pissed, because i felt like i was in a damn car. so it can either be the muffler or mud flap, what do you guys think? im thinkin about going back tommorow to the same place to see where it hit, but not too sure.

first day i bought the truck, normal here, but is the muffler supposed to be that low?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I did the same thing in my 99 lifted 3"... but the curb was about a foot drop off the other side. Where i bottomed out was on the first cross member under the tranny. Nothing hurt, just a few scratches on it.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The bad news is that everybody agrees that the exhaust crossover pipe is in a stupid place.

The good news is that EVERYBODY has bashed theirs, and NOBODY has hurt it.

When I first saw that I was pretty pissed off that Toyota had built it like they did, but two years, 40+ thousand miles, and lots of wheeling later it's still hanging in there just fine.

Worry less, wheel more. Your Toyota can take it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Yea I've noticed them being really low on mine too... Sux balls.. Need to but it lol and do something else with that BS

·
Registered
90 Posts
It kinda sounds like it was the mudflaps if the median thing was only 5-7" tall. When I first got my truck I took it out in the dirt and every time I went over a little rock I was hearing a horrible POP! (or maybe it was a BANG!) either way I had the same feeling of discust with my new truck but then I went home and yanked off the mudflaps and the noise went away.

Also, x2 on what fastfrank said, I've bonked my crossover pipe many times without a problem thus far.

·
Registered
151 Posts
or the crossmember i hit that a couple times f-ing around.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The exhaust behind the cross member in the picture you have posted is supposed to be flat on the bottom, that section is flattened from the factory to set it at the same clearance as the cross member. But it still gets hit (mine has a BUNCH, but it doesn't hurt anything, at least not yet)

You probably hit your mudflap, they hang WAY TO LOW!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh yea, that was the first day i bought it, trust me, its plenty dirty now :p

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds like it was the mud flaps.

I scraped and subsequently lost my fr. passenger side flap within a week of owning my 06. probably a rock on a FS road. the rear passenger side flap went down about a month later. I've been meaning to pull off the driver's side flaps for a while now... :2cents:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts