TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm at work right now and were really damn slow and i was doing a search on this forum about an e-locker conversion for my 06 taco. So far it just looks like all you need is a complete 3rd member, axle housing, wiring harness and switch from an 05 and up e-locker equipped tacoma. I compared the axle part #'s on a lsd equiped tacoma and a e-locker equiped tacoma and the axle part #'s are the same. Has anyone tried doing an e-locker swap yet? I tried doing a seach and all found was a lot of talk about it but no one that has done it to a 05 and up taco.

·
Registered
883 Posts
they are not the same. the Elocker is an 8" compared to 8.4" which is the LSD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so is that the ring gear size? If it is then all you would need is the third member and diff housing. Right?

·
Registered
313 Posts
they are not the same. the Elocker is an 8" compared to 8.4" which is the LSD.
Actually I've heard the axles are the same, a buddy of mine in Phoenix was told this when shopping around to replace a broken axle on his elocker. He was told the axle from an 8.4 was the same length, same spline. Like I said, this is hearsay on my part, so it'd be better to verify with someone who really knows the dealio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well like i said i looked up two trucks today by the VIN on my EPC at work. My truck and a buddies with an e-locker. the part numbers for the axles are the same. Just wondering if anyone has tried this yet. I've read on the early tacoma threads of people who have done that but maybe the late tacomas are just too new? I tried calling Toyota Auto Parts Recycling in rancho cordova and they haven't seen a 05 and up tacoma with e-lockers come in yet. Maybe i'll have to wait till one comes in under warranty haha ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Xtreme 4x4 did the opposite of this by switching a e-locker third member out with a non e-locker third member, so they could put an ARB air locker in the rear to match the front ARB air locker.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Xtreme 4x4 did the opposite of this by switching a e-locker third member out with a non e-locker third member, so they could put an ARB air locker in the rear to match the front ARB air locker.
Really? I thought the axles were interchangeable but not the 3rd members. The e-locker's 3rd only fits on 8'. Then again they must've used an 8' 3rd and not one from an 8.4

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Well i'm at work right now and were really damn slow and i was doing a search on this forum about an e-locker conversion for my 06 taco. So far it just looks like all you need is a complete 3rd member, axle housing, wiring harness and switch from an 05 and up e-locker equipped tacoma. I compared the axle part #'s on a lsd equiped tacoma and a e-locker equiped tacoma and the axle part #'s are the same. Has anyone tried doing an e-locker swap yet? I tried doing a seach and all found was a lot of talk about it but no one that has done it to a 05 and up taco.
the '05s have a wider axle assembly than previous models so only the 3rds are interchangable between model years.
to get an elocker rearend into an '05 will require swapping the complete axle assembly...same as with previous Tacomas.

you cannot put an elocker 3rd in a non-TRD housing and visa versa

the older style elockers from pre-Tacoma days are a different story, however. There is a writeup for modifying an open diff housing to accomodate the elocker 3rd. This is not the case with Tacomas axles, however...unless someone has done one and not posted it anywhere ;)

It will be simpler to just get an ARB.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think people are confusing axles (axle shafts) with axle housings... axles are the shaft, the housing is...well.. the housing.. reading thru it looks they the terms are being misread and/or misused.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think people are confusing axles (axle shafts) with axle housings... axles are the shaft, the housing is...well.. the housing.. reading thru it looks they the terms are being misread and/or misused.
that was my guess as well, hense the attempted clarification ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts