TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to the truck market, I once had a jeep, but wrecked it before I learned about the whole locker scene.

I would like to know about Limited Slip, lockers, and 4WD. I know that is a fairly broad statement, but I am hoping that someone can help.

I am soon to buy this year a double cab, and I don't want to learn everything from the deal the day that I buy.

I think that I want a 4WD because if I don't buy one I am sure that I will be regreting it about 15 minutes after signing.

I will do some light off roading, and a lot of driving in the snow. (Northern Illinois)

**Do the 4WDs have lockers?

I am not really sure what I am getting at with this post, but I hope that someone can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am fairly new to the truck market, I once had a jeep, but wrecked it before I learned about the whole locker scene.

I would like to know about Limited Slip, lockers, and 4WD. I know that is a fairly broad statement, but I am hoping that someone can help.

I am soon to buy this year a double cab, and I don't want to learn everything from the deal the day that I buy.

I think that I want a 4WD because if I don't buy one I am sure that I will be regreting it about 15 minutes after signing.

I will do some light off roading, and a lot of driving in the snow. (Northern Illinois)

I am not really sure what I am getting at with this post, but I hope that someone can lead me in the right direction.
Thanks!
Just for future reference you should search for your answer before posting, this site has been around for quite some time and many topics have been covered countless times. This site also has a FAQ page that has a lot of general information that you could find your answer in, without being flamed for not searching. With that being said here is the link to the FAQ and General Info Page:

http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

And to answer your questions find the definitions to your questions in the following link:

http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/General_Tacoma_Information

And finally a question such as this should first be posted in the Newbie Tech section (providing you have searched, and feel it hasn't been covered, which this topic has).

The TRD Offroad model comes with a locker, the Sport model comes with LSD.

Welcome to TTORA by the way!

Luke

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Where in Northern IL are you?

I'm in the Waukegan / Gurnee area.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Welcome. I lived in Oak Park many years ago. We used to go Muddin out in the Rockford area. If you get the TRD with the locker,it can only be engaged in 4lo unless you do the relay mod, then you can engage it in any mode. If you choose the LSD it is egaged all the time, but is not as good OR as the locker. The LSD is a good choice for the type of DD that you do, especially in the snow and black ice.:2cents:

·
Registered
344 Posts
So what do you guys think is the best for the front? I have an E-locker in the back and it works great for me, I am planning on doing a gear change and I figure while I am in there I should get something for the front, I am worried about breaking my CV's with a locker in the front.

Any ideas/suggestions/setups you are running and works for you?

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
So what do you guys think is the best for the front? I have an E-locker in the back and it works great for me, I am planning on doing a gear change and I figure while I am in there I should get something for the front, I am worried about breaking my CV's with a locker in the front.
Any ideas/suggestions/setups you are running and works for you?

ARB - RD90
I am running an ARB RD90 up front /RD89 in the rear

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=43572

To sum up, all "traction aiding devices" (limited slip, lockers, etc) have to either compromise on-road performance, off-road performance, or cost/complexity.

The only lockers to not sacrifice performance are the selectables, but they cost more. You can do a Toyota e-locker in solid axles, but for IFS, your only selectable option is ARB.

LSD's work great on-road, but are very aggravating off-road as they turn into open diffs if there is very little traction at one wheel.

Lockers work great off-road, but can create some different handling on the street, especially in slick situations like rain/snow. You can learn to "drive around" these situations and it will be liveable, but if you let others drive your rig, they may have to learn your driving habits by putting it into the rail/ditch.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
x2 redrunner, I agree, even selectable lockers have drawbacks. One is driving in snow. Yeah they are great for getting unstuck and have great straight line traction, but they don't differentiate, so cornering in the snow and icey conditions can be challenging for rookie drivers. The LSD handles these situations much better. Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet when it comes to on road manners and off road ability.

·
Banned
722 Posts
I agree, even selectable lockers have drawbacks. One is driving in snow. Yeah they are great for getting unstuck and have great straight line traction, but they don't differentiate, so cornering in the snow and icey conditions can be challenging for rookie drivers. The LSD handles these situations much better. Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet when it comes to on road manners and off road ability.
turn it off? :dunno:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've always wondered why there aren't more LSD/selectable-locker type devices out there. LSD when off, and locked when on. Sure it would be more expensive, but it would also solve a lot of the other downsides you all are talking about.

I guess the new A-TRACK stuff is supposed to solve this dilemma?

Before I got my FJC, I was planning to put an LSD in the back of my '97 Taco, and a selectable ARB air locker in the front. That way I'd have the LSD for all driving conditions (something I think all trucks should have), and then turn on the locker only when I needed it.

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
One is driving in snow. Yeah they are great for getting unstuck and have great straight line traction, but they don't differentiate, so cornering in the snow and icey conditions can be challenging for rookie drivers. The LSD handles these situations much better. Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet when it comes to on road manners and off road ability.
turn it off? :dunno:
x3 - the magic bullet is a selectable locker. For me, living in CO, it was the ONLY choice as I was unwilling to deal with the quirkiness of a locker or LSD on snowy roads.

I TOTALLY disagree about an LSD in the snow. IMHO, they are even MORE unpredictable than a locker in loose conditions - especially if you get one that has enough torque biasing to be worth a damn off road. If you are offcamber on a slick surface, having open diffs is a significant ADVANTAGE as the wheel that is not spinning provides lateral stability so you don't slide down the hill.

There are locking LSD's available (Jeep Rubicon, Auburn ECTED, Detroit Electrac), but for now, all the mechanisms are built into diff covers, which we don't have.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The best advise is learn to wheel what you have? Once you know what your doing, then you know what works for you? Then it's time to get in trouble with mod's?

·
Banned
722 Posts
If he's buying a new vehicle and thinks me might want a locker at some point it's stupid not to just buy the vehicle w/ the locker from the factory if it's an option. I think that's why he asked.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I don't agree with the statement that LSD is less predictable in the snow. I have driven both. Locker is always on, selectable locker is fine for when you need it but is a pain to turn on and off all the time on a DD driven in snow and LSD has decent street manners in the snow IMO. To each his own.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts