TTORA Forum banner

541 - 560 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #542
I built a roof rack over the weekend. I'm hoping i can still fit in the trailer without taking it off. I took a few measurements and kind of winged it

And the best part (the other 2 seats are on order)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #543
I got my roof rack back from powdercoat. I'm pretty happy with it. I'm pretty nervous to see if i can still fit in my trailer without taking it off. I kind of half-assed measured and made it so it should fit but it's going to be close

I wired up my LEDs finally. it took me awhile because I decided to rewire my center console and replace all my ghetto radio shack switches. dont worry though i kept the missile launcher covers lol
Headlights high beams only

LEDs and Headlights

HIDs, LEDs, and Headlights

Just HIDs

I'm really happy with the LED light output. I think my light setup is perfect now

And a random pic from SST. It was a blast

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
^I hate you. Oh well, someday.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #547
Forgot I never put my weight down. It was 5140 without me in it and 1/3 tank of gas, so basically 6000 with a full tank and 4 people. It blows my mind how much heavier it is. I'm going to ditch a spare tire this summer when I redo my bedcage. the weight distribution was really good though. 52/48

I haven't updated in awhile. I took a trip down to mexico for the Baja 500 and got to test out the new seats. They were a big hit and no one fell off

I ran about 30 miles of the course too. i couldnt imagine trying to race it. it was super rough

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #548
The plan was to take all this time before huckfest and redo my interior and install the supercharger but I got talked into doing huckest. It was my first time doing anything like this

I ended up doing 2 runs at 1pm and 2 runs and 5pm. They allowed us to walk the track before they started the race. The whole time I’m thinking in my head that there is no way I can make the jumps. They were easily the largest jumps I have ever tried but I was already committed. They had us all form a long line and they started each truck as the previous one finished. If I wasn’t nervous enough I hear the crowd roar about mid way through the first trucks run and they call in the tractor which drags out a rolled truck off the course. It was not a great boost of confidence. It seemed almost unreal as I was inching up to the starting line with my stomach in my throat. They dropped the flag and the adrenaline took over. My biggest worry was not clearing the first jump which had next to no distance from the starting line and an impossible gap between the take-off and landing. I hit the gas as the flag dropped and my truck seemed to only inch forward and I kept thinking there’s no way I’m going to make this. But sure enough I cleared it and then the rest of the course just seemed to fall in place. After every obstacle I was surprised that not only was I not broken but how well the truck was handling. I made it to the finish with the biggest smile on my face and a huge sigh of relief. My hands were literally shaking as I got out of the truck. My times were getting progressively faster after each lap as I was learning the course and learning the limits of the truck. As I get halfway through my last run I hear a loud pop and my truck limps to a stop. A coordinator comes top my truck and tells me my driveshaft is dragging on the ground. I was unable to move under my own power so they tow me off.

I was able to drop the drive shaft, put it in 4wd, and I drove it home. And that's why I love my truck! Even with the carnage I was happy I did it. my logic was if it happened there it would have eventually happened anyway. I'm happy it was there and not in the middle of the desert. I'll replace the stock case with a nodular one

Here is a video of my second run which i hit the final jump the hardest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJdm2QWShYE

And here was my fastest run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOBDPnQkiSA

I was so impressed with how the truck did. nothing felt harsh.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #549
I haven't updated in awhile. I've fixed the drivetrain now. I ended up with a Yukon nodular case. We'll see how it holds up. I tried going to a solid carrier bearing (http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175913) but the driveline shop couldn't get it balanced so I switched back to the stock one.

I forgot to update that I got the supercharger installed. It was a pain to piece together the kit from buying it used but it's all done. I made my own tensioner bracket using my buddys as a template

It's def a night and day difference. I'm still working on tuning the 7th injector. It's running on the rich side which makes it bog down under high loads. I can't load it up enough on the street so I've only had limited time to tune offroad.

When I got the supercharger I set up my intake like this

From what I've read you need about a foot between the throttle body and MAF. as the throttle body opens and closes it sends shockwaves backward to the MAF messing with the reading. I was having problems tuning the 7th injector and I was getting some CEL regarding the MAF so I redid the intake to look like this

Hopefully that does the trick.

I redid my exhaust with some ultra high flow cats and changed the tailpipe to just have a quick turndown instead of up and over the axle. It's super loud now, borderline too loud. I may end up getting a new muffler but we'll see

I finished my engine cross member finally as well. Sangel Motorsports lol...

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Why the 7th instead of 6 bigger injectors?

URD recommended(EGR vs. NonEGR)?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #552
felixre7 is correct. with the bigger injector kit, the piggyback computer is always running because the stock ecu isn't made to control the new injectors. with the 7th injector the piggyback isn't doing anything under normal driving conditions (idle, warm-up, low loads) letting the stock ecu do it's thing. Once you go into boost, the piggyback turns on and adds fuel as needed. The 7th injector is much easier to tune for that reason

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I've read Gadgets comment on the preferred use of the 7th. If you have an EGR use the 7th-it helps seal the rotors and reduces intake temp.

Someone(initials D.F.) quoted Eaton and Magnussen saying running fuel through the SC is not advisable. Bad for the bearings IIRC.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #554
I forgot about the fuel bringing down the intake temps which helps. The 7th injector kit actually doesn't work if you have an EGR unless you do something custom. The injector plugs into the same port so you can only have one.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I forgot about the fuel bringing down the intake temps which helps. The 7th injector kit actually doesn't work if you have an EGR unless you do something custom. The injector plugs into the same port so you can only have one.
Yeah, wrote it backwards. no egr=7th. As preffered by Gadget

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #557
I made some pretty substantial changes to my rollcage over the last week. My main goal was to give the rear passengers more leg room

Before

After

I'm 6'3" and I'm pretty comfy back there now.
I also did door bars which should make the cage much more stiff

I insulated most of the cab. The product is from Raamaudio. it was super easy to work with and it seems like a legit product so far. It's a two part system. the first layer is the aluminum/putty layer. cuts vibration and deadens noise. I did the whole cab with that. The second layer is the foam which isolates noise and makes a thermal boundary. I only did part of the cab with that because I didn't want to leave it uncovered. I'll do the whole cab eventually and cover it with carpet.

This spray is legit. I highly recommend it.

all the foam areas I wanted to cover with some temporary carpet so it didn't get messed up with peoples feet.

rivets to the floor

and to the carpet

and me being an idiot and not checking the backside and drilling through my fuel line doing the rivets

all buttoned up and ready for the Baja 1000 this weekend (spectating obviously)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I really dig using the snaps with the carpet. Great idea. Have you thought of using rubber mats instead of carpet? With respects to sound deadening and ease of cleaning up?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #560
thanks. I haven't really thought too much about it. the raamat worked awesome for sound so my only concern would be clean up. rubber would be a lot easier to clean but i like the look of carpet better. maybe ill do carpet with rubber mats. that's probably a ways away so I can see what i have for options

541 - 560 of 585 Posts
About this Discussion
584 Replies
88 Participants
socalmoto
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing