TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone with a lunarmist (or any other) paint job thats going south. I had an old 874runner and loved the paint because it took a beating to get the paint to chip. I have a 04 taco and the front of the hood is actually chipping. And on the back of the cab where it rolls to the back of the cab from the side, it's looking like someone bufffed it up with steelwool.

Im just wondering if this is a common thing on the new tacoma or not. Im not used to newer paint jobs where there is the clearcoat and all. Im used to the old base model toyota paint job of the 80s

·
Registered
231 Posts
I got a chip or two in mine, and a couple scratch/swirl marks on mine.

The chips have been filled in, and the rest will get buffed out this summer. It's not a real tough paint job, but it ain't bad.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about 3 months after I bought it, I felt jipped because my old 4runner has less chips total than my hood. And it's not like I go driving behind bump trucks or something. Just wondering

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have one here in Chicago area with all the salt and winter conditions and have no problems,but I have waxed the snot out of it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My 2001 Tacoma has the Lunar Mist also but I have had no problems with it holding up and I beat it to death in the bush all the time. I like it because the scratches hardly show. I do keep it waxed with Turtle wax scratch and swirl remover.

·
Registered
148 Posts
jon_7248 said:
about 3 months after I bought it, I felt jipped because my old 4runner has less chips total than my hood. And it's not like I go driving behind bump trucks or something. Just wondering
The paint that was used on your 87 was not the same enviromentaly friendly paint that PPG produces today.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you have any small part that you can remove from your truck you can take it to a good paint shop and they can duplicate the color with there computer.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I didnt think about that. It's not a big deal to me since it's just a truck and I do no just drive around malls with it. Just wondering if it's like the old Blue color that never stayed on the hoods of the 82 pickups

·
Registered
136 Posts
My Lunar Mist is holding up fine, with the exception of the rocker panels. I trimmed the mudflaps a bit so I wouldn't tear them off, and now it is much worse. Well, it was, I got the rockers line-Xed last week. As far as desert pinstripe, lunar mist hides those real well once they are buffed out. Only white would beat it, in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts