TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new to me truck that's probably familiar around here so I'm giddy to go out and shake it down..

Need to cut that awful front bumper off and cut some goofy extensions off the rear before it's ready to wheel but it's got all the good stuff. Tacoma width sky's housing, longs, psc hydro assist, and 5.29's. Drives 75 with one finger on the wheel to boot

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
lol i found mikes photo album and was just going to to post up that i was wrong, you beat me to it showstop. I was going to say that i was going to come check out one of the tacos that are on my bucket list to see, already saw tbobs old truck (inspiration for my build) a few years ago, and always wanted to look at Mikes truck up close.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's made a progression from Derek, to Chris (crolision), to Jimmy on the boards here. All the fab work on the sas is top notch, just the little bs that needs some catching up on it now.

Unfortunately I just had hand surgery today so I'll be laid up for a few weeks before I can really start working on it

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Im going to cut you some slack on lack of photos & progress since I know what you're going through. But still wondering when that pig is heading west? I thought you were going to make a side trip when you picked it up? Oh yeah!someone had class the next morning!lol

Still have room to work on it either here or in indy. Hell most of my tools are still there
and you know where everything is stored

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im going to cut you some slack on lack of photos & progress since I know what you're going through. But still wondering when that pig is heading west? I thought you were going to make a side trip when you picked it up? Oh yeah!someone had class the next morning!lol

Still have room to work on it either here or in indy. Hell most of my tools are still there
and you know where everything is stored
Slow progress right now for sure, my current one handed-ness is killing me from anything remotely productive. The lack of centering force coming out of a turn from the HA, combined with the 5 speed, keeps me busy enough.

Congrats. Looks a lot better than when it was schoolbus yellow a few years ago, lol
Yeah, I'll keep the short bus name only..no more god forsaken yellow ;)

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Your comment about the HA steering made me realize thst mine doesn't self center either. Funny how things like thst get overlooked and taken for granted

·
4,068 Posts
Your comment about the HA steering made me realize thst mine doesn't self center either. Funny how things like thst get overlooked and taken for granted
Do you guys have your toe set properly? I am running HA on mine and it seems to return to center just fine :confused: Maybe a lil slower, but still returns due to the toe-in and still having an actual mechanical linkage (box) in the system.

I run about 1/8"-1/4" toe on the tape measure IIRC. A little more now that my tie-rod got bent, lol :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you guys have your toe set properly? I am running HA on mine and it seems to return to center just fine :confused: Maybe a lil slower, but still returns due to the toe-in and still having an actual mechanical linkage (box) in the system.

I run about 1/8"-1/4" toe on the tape measure IIRC. A little more now that my tie-rod got bent, lol :D
I shouldn't say that it doesn't center at all. It does at medium to higher speed fine, its the slower parking lot kind of maneuvers that the centering is reduced from ifs. Combine that with juggling gears on only one hand and I'm probably just being sensitive about my current situation and should grow a pair instead of whining about it.

Toe is on my list of things to check as I go through it. But it tracks perfectly down the interstate so I don't think its dramatically off, if it is at all

·
Registered
11,173 Posts

I recently replaced a front spindle because I discovered the threads were boogered ? Not allowing me to tighten the lock nuts down properly.

They way I discovered it was the tire wear on that corner was funkie. So im hoping once I get my fuel lines to stop leaking I will be able to test that theory as my steering is also being rebled for the millionth time since the failed extra reservior experiment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
Bear
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing