TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in cleaning my MAF sensor. What is the procedure for this? I have it out of my truck and I cleaned the easy to get to portion with a Q-tip, but what about the parts that are up in the sensor? How do I clean those? I talked to a mechanic buddy of mine, he cringed when I mentioned spray...he said they just use a Q-tip very carefully. Any insight?
Thanks,
Anthony

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
avc8130 said:
I am interested in cleaning my MAF sensor. What is the procedure for this? I have it out of my truck and I cleaned the easy to get to portion with a Q-tip, but what about the parts that are up in the sensor? How do I clean those? I talked to a mechanic buddy of mine, he cringed when I mentioned spray...he said they just use a Q-tip very carefully. Any insight?
Thanks,
Anthony
Do not use a Q-tip. The sensor is very fragile and using a q-tip could break or otherwise damage it. Best thing to do is get some non-residue electronic cleaner that is safe on ABS plastics (read the label, it should tell you all this). Spray that on the sensor, gently shake off the excess fluid and air dry. Thats it.

The sensor doesn't need to be cleaned very often either. A clean sensor will have a somewhat shiny silver metal appearance. A very dirty sensor will be dark gray, almost black. If you have to clean the sensor more then once every 30,000 miles, then you need a better air filter.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Use an electronic parts cleaner spray and spray the MAF sensor. That's all that is required.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the sensor, do you mean the whole thing? Inside and out? Or do you just mean the bubble on the outside?
Also, where is a good place to get the cleaner?
Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would Radio Shack Electronic Cleaner (64-4345) work okay?
Thanks,
Anthony

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
I've been told by several auto tech/mech that spraying the MAF with the electronis cleaner will do harm to it. some kind of proctive coating that gets washed off with the cleaner. I've done mine once and now not sure what I'll do when it need it again.
thats probably why your freind chringed when you said it

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See, now you have me worried again. I just cleaned it the best I could with a soft touch of the Q-Tip. I am going to leave it in and not clean it any more until it becomes a real issue. Then I will try the cleaner.
Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
279 Posts
avc8130 said:
See, now you have me worried again. I just cleaned it the best I could with a soft touch of the Q-Tip. I am going to leave it in and not clean it any more until it becomes a real issue. Then I will try the cleaner.
Thanks
Anthony
I wouldn't worry. Just don't use a q tip in the future. If you can't get the crud off with just a spray cleaner then get an acid brush. Radio Shack sells them but you still need to be careful with it.

I've seen people dip the sensor element in brake cleaner and I've seen others put the sensor in a cup of alcohol to clean it. The sensors still worked after that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I sprayed mine twice now. I used contact cleaner. Says on the can "won't damage plastic". I had to clean it when oil from my filter got on it and was making my truck run poorly. I did it again later because I was going through everything before a big trip. I would do it again and not worry. I sprayed everything inside and out. Cantact cleaner dries fast. Almost as soon as it is sprayed it is evaporated. I put the sensor right back in my truck. I didn't start my truck right away, but I'm pretty sure that the sensor would have been dry in less than 2 minutes after spraying. If there is something wrong with spraying the sensor, then my truck has been cruising around perfectly, with a damaged sensor, for a very long time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, off to Radio Shack after work to get some cleaner and an acid brush.
Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
185 Posts
On my 01 3.4, I have never cleaned the one up in the sensor itself. Only the one right in the air stream. The one up in the sensor looks much more fragile.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I bought spray from Radio Shack. I basically sprayed the heck out of the thing and put it back in. I waited a bit to start the truck, just by chance. The truck seems to run a little more smoothly and have a little more power than before. I think it was running a little lean before. Try it, I dont think it can hurt.
AC

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
avc8130 said:
OK, I bought spray from Radio Shack. I basically sprayed the heck out of the thing and put it back in. I waited a bit to start the truck, just by chance. The truck seems to run a little more smoothly and have a little more power than before. I think it was running a little lean before. Try it, I dont think it can hurt.
AC
i notices similar results once cleaning mine. i have a k&n fipk that the oil from the filter seems to have covered the maf sensor causing it to run "lean on bank one" according to the code it threw. But once clean the problem disappeared.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts