TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has put the supra MAF in their SC tacoma? What kind of power increase does it produce, and have you experienced any ill effects due to this mod?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I think I was the second one to install a Supra MAF. You will need larger then stock injectors and a calibrator to retune for it.

If you have a 99 or later you will need to rewire your MAF plug in a different order. The pinouts on the 99+ trucks are different.

The pre 99 MAFs seem a tad more restrictive then the later ones. On my pre 99 it worked out very nice. On the 99 and later trucks, you could just put the stock MAF module in a larger tube and then retune with a calibrator and save some money and hassel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have the Supra maf and noticed with the S/C about a 10whp increase (when properly tuned as gadget mentioned).
According to my SMT6 at wot with 9.5psi it reads 89% which means its almost at full 5v reading fromt he map (as far as the maf can read) the stock maf i was hitting 97%...so it is alot larger :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Gadget said:
On the 99 and later trucks, you could just put the stock MAF module in a larger tube and then retune with a calibrator and save some money and hassel.
So what should we use as a larger tube?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Super Doody said:
U you dont need to use a larger tube but can if you want. The supercharger does a great job at sucking in the air :p
Say u removed the maf alltogether then you can go for a larger tube.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Super Doody said:
You want a larger MAF so you will have less restriction, right?

Well, you can use a larger diameter tube to place the MAF sensor module (99+) in. You can use aluminum, steel, plastic or what ever. You will just need to make the proper bung type mount for the sensor module.

The larger tube will make it a larger MAF and you will have less restriction. This will reduce the flow velosity through the sensor and it will throw the reading off. This is why you will need to recalibrate/tune it with some sort of calibrator box.

This has been done by many people and it is not anything new.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Gadget said:
You want a larger MAF so you will have less restriction, right?

Well, you can use a larger diameter tube to place the MAF sensor module (99+) in. You can use aluminum, steel, plastic or what ever. You will just need to make the proper bung type mount for the sensor module.

The larger tube will make it a larger MAF and you will have less restriction. This will reduce the flow velosity through the sensor and it will throw the reading off. This is why you will need to recalibrate/tune it with some sort of calibrator box.

This has been done by many people and it is not anything new.
here's a aftermarket idea. you could trick the MAF into thinking the airflow is moving faster by inserting a hollow cone right in front of the MAF sensor. once the whole thing was indexed (tube size , maf type, cone size) using correct calibration gear, you could then just sell a kit that included a bigger pipe for maf and the small cone. fluid mechanics trickery....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds like a good product for the URD website,
so who has done it like this and what did you use, and how about a pic, so far all i have found is a beer can and some pvc out in the garage and i dont think either of these will do the job, maybe after a trip to the home depot well have something to fab into a bigger MAF

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
boosted said:
blower, URD Fuel mods, 2" pulley, deckplate
do you have a copy of your dyno including AFR?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Noid said:
Did you retune the URD kit for you mods?
i had to dump quite alot more fuel in at WOT, (9.5 pounds of boost)check your email,
since the dyno i have put the stock pulley back on, larger tires and a muffler, but i keep the 2" pulley with me just incase one of those chiped diesels want to check out my tailgate

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
boosted said:
i had to dump quite alot more fuel in at WOT, (9.5 pounds of boost)check your email,
since the dyno i have put the stock pulley back on, larger tires and a muffler, but i keep the 2" pulley with me just incase one of those chiped diesels want to check out my tailgate
Why did you go back to the stock pulley?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its a 99 with 90000 miles and im gonna try for a nother 90000, so i figured i would go a little easier on it (at least for now) what has the supra MAF done for you???

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
boosted said:
its a 99 with 90000 miles and im gonna try for a nother 90000, so i figured i would go a little easier on it (at least for now) what has the supra MAF done for you???
The stuff on the bottom of my sig are all in the garage. I haven't installed it yet. I am still working on integrating it into my set up, but with all this rain we've been getting (So Cal flooding) I haven't been able to install it. I am also waiting on my WI install since the 04 have a slightly different throttlebody, the bolts for the spacer weren't long enough so I have to go out and get some new ones. Once I get those two things on it and tune it up I will take it in for a Dyno test and see how it does.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
boosted said:
Thanks for the dyno. Looks good. Did you tune it yourself? Do you have a 2'' pulley or 2.2?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Super Doody said:
Thanks for the dyno. Looks good. Did you tune it yourself? Do you have a 2'' pulley or 2.2?
i have a 2" pulley, we did a little tuning at the dyno shop then afterwards i cleaned up the AFR a little more

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
boosted said:
i have a 2" pulley, we did a little tuning at the dyno shop then afterwards i cleaned up the AFR a little more

Is it a pulley boys pulley?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts