TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is rattling and needs replacing.

Two questions:

1) Is there longevity/performance issues with the magnaflow cats? It seems people with the California versions have issues. Is this the case with the 49-state (non-ca) ones?

2) I just replaced my rear 02 sensor...is the bad cat damaging the new sensor?

Thanks.

vehicle is 2004 tacoma 3.4 liter

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
1- There is no issue with the cats themselves. A vehicle in good working order will operate just fine with either. The CA cats have more surface area to reduce the emissions levels over a 49-state cat.

2- If you are running really rich and causing the cat to overheat and burn off chunks of the catalyst honeycomb or one of those pieces hits the sensor, then you can damage that sensor. Otherwise it isn't likely.

Keeping your sensors in good working order and engine properly tuned will help prolong the life of the cat(s).

·
Registered
131 Posts
I replaced my bad cat with a magnaflow along with a toyota mini header and new O2 sensors, and it started throwing a p0420 code a little over a year later. Toyotas in general are sensitive to emissions and will throw a code more easily than domestics. These aftermarket cats do not contain as much precious metals (if any at all, I heard they are all ceramic) so they just don't last like OEM.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Since this got brought up, I've been looking for a High-Flow cats for my 3.4L Supercharged Taco. Is anyone running one that they would recommend? Thx

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ive just replaced both my cats with magnaflows, waiting for the monitors to set so I can go smog it, hopefully will report back soon with positive results. Even if the magnaflow cats only last 2 years, that equates to 8 years when compared to an oem replacement b/c they are a quarter of the price.

To me its a worth while gamble considering even the oem cats do not last as long under the offroading conditions we put our trucks threw.

·
Registered
268 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts