TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a magnaflow muffler for my truck in the next week and need to remember what the best one is to buy for my truck. I have a 2.7L. There was a post once on the old board but now everything has changed. I know it has something to do w/ the 14" or 18" and I think that I want just a 2" inlet and outlet to keep my backpressure. I'm basically going for a cut off the stock muffler and weld the new one on kind of thing.

Thanks in advanced.
Chris

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
I'm purchasing a magnaflow muffler for my truck in the next week and need to remember what the best one is to buy for my truck. I have a 2.7L. There was a post once on the old board but now everything has changed. I know it has something to do w/ the 14" or 18" and I think that I want just a 2" inlet and outlet to keep my backpressure. I'm basically going for a cut off the stock muffler and weld the new one on kind of thing.

Thanks in advanced.
Chris
why not beaf up the piping a little?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
the 14" will be deeper/louder and the 18" will be more mellow. i have the 14" and it sounds great. i kept stock piping and they got it on fine

·
Registered
565 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:

Thanks in advanced.
Chris
I have read the best power range for the 2.7 is to go with 2.25" ID piping.

As for the length....longer = deeper sound, shorter = rice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jjrambo said:
why not beaf up the piping a little?
Talked to Dave one night online for about 3 hours about lots of things with my truck. He once went with 2.5" piping on his 2.7L and lost some of the power from his engine. Since I'm only doing a deckplate and muffler then I don't need to change the piping because I don't want to lose any power. Plus, I'm a college student that doesn't have that much money. When a friend can just weld it on - then that's perfectly ok w/ me. LOL.

Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DakotaTacoma said:

I don't have the money though to redo my piping right now. I might be able to later, but for what my truck is mainly I think that I should be ok. I wish that I could hear a sound clip from a 2.7L w/ a magnaflow on there.

Anyone know where I could find one or maybe someone that has one. I hear 2 different sides all the time. 14" is better - no 18" is better. I'm being to get confused because I'm not used to buying a muffler. I put my other one on when I got my '92 6 years ago and never thaught twice about it.

Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically what I'm looking for is what would sound the best for my truck. I know that I'm not going to see any substancial gain in hp/torque by just adding a muffler. I know it's all about the sound. Would a 14" magnaflow muffler on stock piping sound good on my truck?

Chris

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I've got a magnaflow stainless steel muffler on my truck. I don't have the stock piping coming out since I had a Y pipe put on for duals. I've sense cut the pipes back to the axle. However, I could measure the muffler tonight and let you know what length I'm running. I inlet/outlet was 2.25".

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
i have the 14" muffler on mine w/ stock piping and it sounds great, i do have the V6 though, not sure about the 4cyl. its not loud in the cab when you have the windows up, there's no drone on the highway or anything like that, and it doesnt sound ricey at all. from outside the truck its pretty loud, sounds good

·
Registered
18 Posts
MagnaFlow on a 3.4

Hey I think this is my first post!! Anyway... I am adding a magnaflow single in dual out on my 03 TRD. the 12258 is a 2.5 in and dual 2.250 outs, the 12268 is a 2.5 in with 2.5 duals out. 18" long 5 x 8 oval Aluminized. Don't know if this helped any. I have been trying to get some advice on the dual piping routing. I would like to exit on both sides at apprx. same position as factory( just behind mud-flap) but can't get any advice on deep sound with that method or would it be deeper if both exited next to each other. Maybe someone here has road this horse and will give opinion.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
DakotaTacoma said:

OE pipe diameter seems to be ideal for low-end, hi-end power and gas mileage.

adding a wider pipe system will decrease the back-pressure and give you a little better top-end but at the expense of low-end torque. ( to a limit)
adding a narrower tip will increase the low-end but drop the hi-end and reduce gas mileage. I tried a 2" and a 1.75" tip and both were great for 'off the line' performance and low-end torque but I lost the top-end and my mileage really sucked.

'00 4x4 excab 2.7 5-sp

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
Basically what I'm looking for is what would sound the best for my truck. I know that I'm not going to see any substancial gain in hp/torque by just adding a muffler. I know it's all about the sound. Would a 14" magnaflow muffler on stock piping sound good on my truck?

Chris

I just measured, and it's 14 inches. I also don't think it sounds ricey at all. Mine is loud in the cab now since I cut the pipes. When it exited out the back, it wasn't loud in the cab at all.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have heard many of the magnaflows on some sound bytes and haven't heard one sound ricey yet. I know they have been on a 6cyl but I don't think that a 4cyl will sound that bad. I'm sure that I can find someone to buy the muffler if I don't like the way it sounds anyways.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would rather keep my low end torque anyways rather then have the high end. I'm going to be buying a motorcycle and probably be doing some hauling with the truck. Around here where I live with all the hills - I want to keep all the low end I can handle.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know that I want to go with the 14" should I go with the magnaflow. Mine will be coming out of the back as well. Since I'm using all stock piping right now. I might change everything later when I have some extra money.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
educational

Tacoma4Life06 said:
I know that I want to go with the 14" should I go with the magnaflow. Mine will be coming out of the back as well. Since I'm using all stock piping right now. I might change everything later when I have some extra money.

Thanks
Chris
damn son, you ask more fucking questions, LOL, J/K! Man I ain't been able to get on AIM here lately, been to busy w/ school, but I should be online some over the holidays. I'll hollar at you then! Peace, Wesley aka jhnboyplyr

·
Registered
203 Posts
DocTaco said:
Hey I think this is my first post!! Anyway... I am adding a magnaflow single in dual out on my 03 TRD. the 12258 is a 2.5 in and dual 2.250 outs, the 12268 is a 2.5 in with 2.5 duals out. 18" long 5 x 8 oval Aluminized. Don't know if this helped any. I have been trying to get some advice on the dual piping routing. I would like to exit on both sides at apprx. same position as factory( just behind mud-flap) but can't get any advice on deep sound with that method or would it be deeper if both exited next to each other. Maybe someone here has road this horse and will give opinion.
The 2.5" in is fine but with dual 2.5" out, you'll loose your low end. Stick with the 2.5" in and dual 2" out.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wslytoy said:
damn son, you ask more fucking questions, LOL,
Hmm, he hasn't asked anything about sex that I've seen... and if he did, why would he ask you? :p

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
hytenor is a smartass J/K

hytenor said:
Hmm, he hasn't asked anything about sex that I've seen... and if he did, why would he ask you? :p
HAHAHAHAHA, ok smartass! HAHAHAHA!! I was just giving him shit, cause on AIM he's always got questions. Which I'm happy to answer, if I know the answer. He's definitely learning. MERRY CHRISMAKU!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wslytoy said:
HAHAHAHAHA, ok smartass! HAHAHAHA!! I was just giving him shit, cause on AIM he's always got questions. Which I'm happy to answer, if I know the answer. He's definitely learning. MERRY CHRISMAKU!
you give people shit?? ewwwww!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
16 Participants
04RedLobster
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing