TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ha and dont just say half the travel.. what would i be missing out on if i went mid?

·
Registered
748 Posts
The chicks...
No chick digs mid trael.. You will kick yourself in the ass when you have a wimpy midtravel setup and want that cool long travel ;)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
^yup

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
ha and dont just say half the travel.. what would i be missing out on if i went mid?
Well i had about 11"s of travel with icon ext. coilovers and TC UCA's, now i have the Camburg LT kit with icons 9.3" shocks and im getting about 15.5" of travel. Im 4x4 now so i limited my travel since then so i dont bind my CV's. But you get the point

Trust me on this, ask any shock tech: Travel is just a number, its about how well the shocks are tuned in. You think a old I-Beamed Ranger getting 22"s of travel can out run a LT tacoma getting 14"s of travel on a Total Chaos kit? Hell no, the yota will keep up just fine since arms provide smoother travel and if his shocks are tuned good he will be riden like a cady and will have an advantage despite having less travel.

Also your forgetting a couple HUGE things about what makes LT stick out and be much better that u might wanna think about other then travel numbers.

1. The lower Control arm on a Tacoma/ Tundra suspension takes roughly 75% or more of the pressure on the suspension components when compressing, so its safe to say its probably a good idea to have a tough lower control arm if you jump it or hit whoops considering how much is at risk if your lower control arm fails. I sure wouldnt wanna jump a truck or test its limits and have most of the pressure pending on a stock lower control arm.

2. Also when you go LT your track width is much wider and makes your center of gravity have a night and day difference, your chances of rolling are mucchhh lower, turns i use to be able to take going 25, i can take 35-40 easy now. And i have no sway bar so i never have to worry about wanting to unbolt that shit to gain travel ever again becasue I simply dont need one of those silly things....

3. When you go long travel and go with a company like Camburg, your connection from LCA to hub is with a uni-ball and not a stock shitty bushing. Also the LCA bushing that attach to framemounts and swivel the lower arm are much more reinforced and made to handle the abuse in dezert. you think stock lower arm pivots are? No.

4. LT lower arms are gusseted up with chromolly 4130 steel and have secondary shock mounts to have airbumps or bypass shocks put on if wanted and chances ae you will want them

So just think about it, the lower control arm is a huge essential in tacoma suspension ergonomics. Would you rather have a gusseted up, stronger and larger lower control arm holding your truck up out in the dezert as you jump it or rapidly channel threw whoops or have a stock one keeping you afloat? So just think deeply about what you plan to do. Because there are ALOT more reasons why LT stick out then just travel numbers. Like I havnt even gotten into how nice it is and safe it is to have limiting straps. If you have questions feel free to PM me

Cole

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
To me LT is more like insurance. If you take a big hit with mid travel you may or may not take damage. All the extra travel gives you a safety net. But it also allows you to go so much faster that you often loose the saftey net by your increased speed. :rolleyes:

Its frustrating to learn that the LT kit and shocks etc are only scratching the surface of a solid build. You will bend all kinds of stuff if things arent beefed up and reinforced. Tons more work than just your LT parts.

Its so worth it though:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts