TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me the best way to shut off the maint light on my wife's 04 Runner? I always had her Runner serviced at the dealer(they would reset it) because when we bought it it came with tires and battery for the life of the car. Well the factory tires have 54,000 miles on them and are almost showing cords on the outside of the tread and the service guy tells me their not even close th needing replaced:rolleyes: . So long story short why spend the $$ to have them service it when they aren't going to give me my free tires. I do my truck all the time anyways so now I'll just do hers.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
First, you need to fight the dealer harder. They promised tires for life, and yours are unsafe.

I'm not super familiar with the newer 'runners - is there a separate maintenance light from the Check Engine Light? It would be the same on the Tacomas - might want to search in that forum on here or check out www.yotatech.com or www.toyota120.com

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
1. key off
2. hold the two buttons on the side of the dash (odo & trip)
3. turn key on (car off)
4. maint light will flash and then go off
5. let go of buttons
6. turn car on and check that light is reset

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LavosTRD said:
1. key off
3. turn key on (car off)
5. let go of buttons

·
Registered
947 Posts
I had not choice in that tire deal when buying the 05. However, I am glad I did not take it in and have them rotated seeing that it is a waste of time. My wife has 52K on hers, and I have never rotated them :D They look fine. Just waiting until they wear out to replace with a better tire, but its taking longer than expected.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jhunter said:
I had not choice in that tire deal when buying the 05. However, I am glad I did not take it in and have them rotated seeing that it is a waste of time. My wife has 52K on hers, and I have never rotated them :D They look fine. Just waiting until they wear out to replace with a better tire, but its taking longer than expected.
I hear ya, the sad thing is we had them do all service intervals(and some extras)that this dealer says is better than just what Toyota recommends.At the last service 5000 miles ago they said they would need to be replaced, I get there today and the service guy says they are at about the same wear depth as last time:confused: .So instead of waiting until my wife is driving on slicks I'll just buy the tires and tell those dumbasses they just lost my buisness. Changed oil in both vehicles today for what I paid them to her car alone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
LavosTRD said:
1. key off
3. turn key on (car off)
5. let go of buttons

I'm sure that will probably work, but these are the instructions I have been using that I can confirm are accurate.

TSB EL002-03 has these instructions:

1. Turn ignition switch to "ON" position
2. Set odometer/trip display to "ODO" mode
3. Turn ignition switch to "OFF" position
4. Depress and hold the Trip Meter "RESET" button while turning the ignition switch to the "ON" position
5. The service maintenance reminder light will:

i. Illuminate solidly for 3 seconds
ii. Blink for 2 seconds
iii. Illuminate solidly for 1 second
iv. Turn off

6. Release the Trip Meter "RESET" button
7. Turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position
8. Turn the ignition to the "ON" position and confirm that the service maintenance reminder light goes out.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
I'm not super familiar with the newer 'runners - is there a separate maintenance light from the Check Engine Light? It would be the same on the Tacomas - might want to search in that forum on here or check out www.yotatech.com or www.toyota120.com
Yes, there is a separate maintenance light from the check engine light.

How much of a kickback do you get for all the referrals to YotaTech?

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
LavosTRD said:
1. key off
3. turn key on (car off)
5. let go of buttons
You're pretty smart! You must be from this "Yota-Tech" that Troy is always telling people about....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts