TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how widely known this is, but if your truck has a maintenance required light that comes on when a certain mileage is hit, this will tell you how to turn off the light.

1. Climb into the truck, close the door.
2. Turn ignition to "on" but don't start.
3. Set your odomoter on the odometer reading, not Trip A or Trip B.
4. Turn truck off.
5. Hold down the trip meter reset button while turning the key back to "ON". 6 little bars will show up where the odomoter display is, when they've all disappeared you can let go of the reset button.

The light is now reset. Repeat at the next scheduled maintenance interval.

I looked in my owner's manual and couldn't find out how to do it, so I called my buddy that works at the toyota dealer and it worked.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
is that the newer trucks or the older ones..... mine has never come on

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, sorry I forgot to say that I wasn't sure what all it would work on. I posted on behalf of my truck, 06 tundra.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From what the dealer told me this is the oil change signal. It will come on every 5,000 miles. I just got my 2007 and it was in the owners manuel on how to reset it.
Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
awessome info. That is a great thing to know.I was just driving myself nutz trying to figure out how to turn it off after doing the oil change. thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
same method with my girls 07 corolla.

·
Registered
366 Posts
any tricks for turning off the "check engine" light in an older (98) tacoma?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
check the codes yet?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
any tricks for turning off the "check engine" light in an older (98) tacoma?
Go to the local parts store, have them print the code, and turn it off. It's free at the local parts stores around here. Vatozone, Schucks/Oreily. It will obviously turn back on if you don't fix the issue. Don't forget to crank on the gas cap 50+ clicks if it just turned on after a recent fill-up. :2cents:

·
Registered
678 Posts
I don't know how widely known this is, but if your truck has a maintenance required light that comes on when a certain mileage is hit, this will tell you how to turn off the light.

1. Climb into the truck, close the door.
2. Turn ignition to "on" but don't start.
3. Set your odomoter on the odometer reading, not Trip A or Trip B.
4. Turn truck off.
5. Hold down the trip meter reset button while turning the key back to "ON". 6 little bars will show up where the odomoter display is, when they've all disappeared you can let go of the reset button.

The light is now reset. Repeat at the next scheduled maintenance interval.

I looked in my owner's manual and couldn't find out how to do it, so I called my buddy that works at the toyota dealer and it worked.
I used to work as a valet in Las Vegas. You'd be amazed at the number of people that have a "simpler" solution. I saw at least a car a month that just used a strip of electrical tape, cut to size, placed strategically over the check engine light. Cheap and trashy! :kewl: I though it was extra special when half of the dash would be taped out! Almost beats the truck that came in completely murdered out. Everything. Including steering wheel, seats, windows, dash, etc. Every inch of the truck was painted flat black. People amaze me!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts