TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When changing fluids (diffs, radiator, trans.) are there gaskets on the drain/fill plugs that need to be replaced as well? I'm looking to do my 60K service and want to make sure I have everything I need. If there are gaskets, please advise me on where to get a hold of the correct ones

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
I believe you'll need new crush rings for the drain and fill plugs for both differentials. You might also need some for the tranny and x-fer- I can't remember.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
camaddy said:
I believe you'll need new crush rings for the drain and fill plugs for both differentials. You might also need some for the tranny and x-fer- I can't remember.
Know where I can get those? Any others ?....

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
hmmm I"ve never used any new crush rings or anything. If i'm worried about it i just take a glob of RTV gasket sealant and put it on the threads.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
They should cost about 70-90 cents each - so I'd change them atleast once every 60-90K
X-case & Tranny fill/drain 90430-18008
Front diff Drain 90430-24003
Rear diff fill/drain & front fill 12157-10010

Just get them from Barb @ Trdparts4u.com

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
VaTaco1 said:
When changing fluids (diffs, radiator, trans.) are there gaskets on the drain/fill plugs that need to be replaced as well? I'm looking to do my 60K service and want to make sure I have everything I need. If there are gaskets, please advise me on where to get a hold of the correct ones

Thanks
There are steel crush washers that come stock on the diffs, they should ONLY be used on the diffs. There are soft aluminum washers that come stock on the t-case & gearbox, these could be used on the diffs too if you wanted (except the front diff drain which is a different size and is soft copper). The soft metal gets hardened with each use, so they don't seal as well after a while. Myself I will typically use them twice each, cycling them from drain to fill to discard. I get a bag of them from the dealer.

Do not overtighten the plugs in an aluminum case.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's a good point about not over-tightening. Here are the torque specs if you don't already have them:

Tranny/Transaxle: 27 ft-lbs (need a 24 mm socket for these)
Rear diff: 36 ft-lbs
Front diff fill: 29 ft-lbs
Front diff drain: 48 ft-lbs

·
Registered
9 Posts
camaddy said:
That's a good point about not over-tightening. Here are the torque specs if you don't already have them:

Tranny/Transaxle: 27 ft-lbs (need a 24 mm socket for these)
Rear diff: 36 ft-lbs
Front diff fill: 29 ft-lbs
Front diff drain: 48 ft-lbs

Just wanted to double check the front diff drain and fill hex sizes - fill 10mm; drain 12mm?

Thanks for the help.

*Edit* I have a 2000 w/ADD

·
Registered
103 Posts
toyopet said:
Just wanted to double check the front diff drain and fill hex sizes - fill 10mm; drain 12mm?

Thanks for the help.

*Edit* I have a 2000 w/ADD
Just going from memory I believe mine were both 12mm, I could be wrong though. I've got an '03 so I'm not sure about an '00. I would go to Sears or somewhere and get the socket that has the hex key welded in, it will make the job much easier.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
grillmasterp said:
They should cost about 70-90 cents each - so I'd change them atleast once every 60-90K
X-case & Tranny fill/drain 90430-18008
Front diff Drain 90430-24003
Rear diff fill/drain & front fill 12157-10010

Just get them from Barb @ Trdparts4u.com
Is there a crush washer for the front diff drain plug? I didn't see one on my 03 last time I change the gear oil. This was at 30k. The dealers changed the diff oils at 15k and could've screwed up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Super Doody said:
Is there a crush washer for the front diff drain plug? I didn't see one on my 03 last time I change the gear oil. This was at 30k. The dealers changed the diff oils at 15k and could've screwed up.
I just finished changing mine and there was a washer. Btw, both fill and drain plugs are 10mm hex for my 2000.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts