TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you make the forum wider so it takes up the whole space inside my browser window?? Like ih8mud.com??

That way, thread replies will be fewer lines long and I won't have to scroll up/down so much to get from the subject threads box to the text box below.

Just more user-friendly that way.

Jody.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BigBadBob0 said:
This has to be one of the funniest posts I've ever seen before in my entire life. lol

73s, K6RTY :)
Actually that's not a bad idea.

Right now I'm looking at the FAQ and because of the narrow witdh of the page, do you know how much scrolling viewers are going to have to do to read even a short article???

To me, to use less than a viewer's whole screen width is poor programming!

Paul
TTORA FAQ Administrator

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support on this Paul...

Good to see other hams out there in the off-road community K6RTY.

KE5CCC monitoring mobile...

Jody.

·
Hoist The Colors!
15,832 Posts
paulp575 said:

Right now I'm looking at the FAQ and because of the narrow witdh of the page, do you know how much scrolling viewers are going to have to do to read even a short article???

Paul
TTORA FAQ Administrator
It is set this way so people using a 800x600 display setting on their monitor can view it properly and not have to scroll from left to right to read messages.

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
TACOZILLA said:
It is set this way so people using a 800x600 display setting on their monitor can view it properly and not have to scroll from left to right to read messages.
yeah, which is good for the main site.
but for the forum, setting at least the forum pieces (below the header and above the footer) to something like 90% would yield a bit more visibility.

btw, it would look the same for 800x600 or whatever.. (90% of screen for everyone)

i'm not knocking the site... it's damn good. just talking usability of the forum

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
TACOZILLA said:
but honestly who the hell uses 800x 600 anymore??? 90% of the people use 1024

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
Shannon hits the nail on the head here guys, for usability purposes humans don't like to read characters at size 12pt font for 1,280 pixels. It's hard to follow and you'll more often lose what line you're on. It's for this exact reason (and a few others) that most professional developers prefer that code be written in 80 columns (no line longer than 80 characters).

·
www.madmav.com
547 Posts
paulp575 said:

Paul
TTORA FAQ Administrator
Im sorry paul, vertical scrolling is to be expected on the web in fact the web is designed for it. It is much more easier to control content and design then variable horizontal scrolling.
After the time ive put into this, changing the width of the site just requires too much more work and would ruin the design.

Like bob said, any english professor can tell you, and also what I learned in design school, the width of text columns needs to be controlled for a readability issue. If it becomes too long, lets say 90% of screen width. Those with high resolutions, 1600x1200 in my case, the lines of text would become so long it would be difficult to read and follow.

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
LavosTRD said:
but honestly who the hell uses 800x 600 anymore??? 90% of the people use 1024
that's not true... plenty of ppl use 800x600

That's why i like scaling sizes, at least for forums.
That way if you're using 1600x1200 or 800x600, the website looks the same, minus the small fonts for 1600x1200 users.

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
Maverick said:
1600x1200 in my case, the lines of text would become so long it would be difficult to read and follow.
that's what magnifying glasses are for :)

but all seriousness aside, i run high resolutions on all my puters and if i come across a site that has fonts too small (very rare), i just resize the text

yotatech, pirate4x4, etc.. all work at any resolution

but that's the last i'll say about this... it really isn't that bad. the forum page index has it the worst.. when you start reading posts it isn't that bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
nastynate
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing