TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a good cap on your bed, is it possible to make the whole thing water tight? The small openings at the front of the bed would be easy to fill, but what about the tailgate? Anyone ever try this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
valkyrie said:
trying to make a redneck swimming pool?
Haha! no, you just throw a big tarp in the bed and fill it up for that!

I am thinkin if I get a bed cap then I will probly be sleeping in it when I go wheelin. I don't want water from rain, or water from a water crossing to get all over my stuff in the back.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Puckett said:
If you have a good cap on your bed, is it possible to make the whole thing water tight? The small openings at the front of the bed would be easy to fill, but what about the tailgate? Anyone ever try this?
Yep. There's weather stripping you can put around the tailgate to seal it. My cap leaks very, very little water from two small openings in the corner of the rear hatch that can easily be filled. I just haven't gotten around to doing it. Are you thinking of getting one now, or do you just have some crazy idea? :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nees1212 said:
Yep. There's weather stripping you can put around the tailgate to seal it. My cap leaks very, very little water from two small openings in the corner of the rear hatch that can easily be filled. I just haven't gotten around to doing it. Are you thinking of getting one now, or do you just have some crazy idea? :D
I can get a free aluminum cap which I'm going to either paint black or use black Durabak. I wanted to know if I went to the trouble of doing it that I would be able to keep the inside of the bed dry for sleeping. Otherwise I'll just keep my tool box and my tent!

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Puckett said:
I can get a free aluminum cap which I'm going to either paint black or use black Durabak. I wanted to know if I went to the trouble of doing it that I would be able to keep the inside of the bed dry for sleeping. Otherwise I'll just keep my tool box and my tent!
I guess it really depends on the quality of the cap. You can put new weather stripping around the bottom of the cap where it meets the bed rail, and you can put it around the tailgate to seal it. The weather stripping around the back window can be replaced too, so unless the cap is damaged, you should be fine. My cap has definitely been my best purchase so far. When I get back from my vacation/honeymoon, I'm going to organize the bed by putting the bedliner back in, cutting a piece of plywood to fit in the bed and then coating it with an outdoor carpet or astroturf, and then getting some ammo boxes to set behind the wheel wells to store my straps and stuff in. Then in the summer, my buddy's uncle is going to paint it for me.

If you're getting a good deal for it, go for it. You can always resell it to someone.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Puckett said:
Haha! no, you just throw a big tarp in the bed and fill it up for that!

I am thinkin if I get a bed cap then I will probly be sleeping in it when I go wheelin. I don't want water from rain, or water from a water crossing to get all over my stuff in the back.
The toughest portion will be the tailgate area. Perhaps sown of that expandable door sealent willkeep dust and crap out ut watertight, I think not.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Puckett said:
Otherwise I'll just keep my tool box and my tent!
If you decide to go with the cap, what will you do with the tool box? I've been thinking about getting one for my truck.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
The toughest portion will be the tailgate area. Perhaps sown of that expandable door sealent willkeep dust and crap out ut watertight, I think not.
Only problem I see is that if you sealed the tailgate with something like that it would not open, and it would get old crawling over the tailgate to get inside. I have a cap for my truck that I don't use much, but it does seem to keep 99.9% of the water out.

You could always park with the tailgate downhill if you're camping in it, that would keep you dry. :)

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Rain will generally not get around the tailgate. Even if it is pointing into extreme wind it will probably only wet a couple of small patches. Caps themselves tend to be slightly leaky, around windows and whatnot, but are still OK for sleeping in. Condensation from sleeping in one that is too well sealed would probably be more of a problem. Some dust entry seems also somewhat inevitable.

Trying to seal the tailgate against water crossings is probably futile. That would be really deep water too, the bottom of the bed is really quite high up if you look. Any of those weatherstrips will probably not stand up against immersion.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jamier2 said:
If you decide to go with the cap, what will you do with the tool box? I've been thinking about getting one for my truck.
I'll be sellin the tool box! I will know in the next few days what I'm gonna do.

I'll have to find a way to get my tire up on the cap rather than how it is mounted now. I might head down to Corbin KY as soon as Friday to pick up the cap.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Puckett said:
I'll be sellin the tool box! I will know in the next few days what I'm gonna do.

I'll have to find a way to get my tire up on the cap rather than how it is mounted now. I might head down to Corbin KY as soon as Friday to pick up the cap.
It's really simple, I believe that summit has the stuff you need. You can buy the seals that you can stick on to the side of the bed and when you close the tailgate it will seal and be water tight. The likely hood of anymore than a couple drops getting in is slim to none. the holes as you said plug easily. I did this on my fathers truck and it held water very for like 2 weeks. I did it as a joke and then we found it worked great to get traction in some lose sand.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Puckett said:
I have had a cap on my 95 taco since new and never have been able to make it completely water tight but have gotten to the point where only a little bit of water gets in. I haven't done anything extra to seal the tailgate and it doesn't seem to leak into the box through there.

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
Puckett said:
Check out www.bajataco.com - Chris has a nice writeup on the changes he made to his bed/tailgate to make it as water tight as possible.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I sealed the back of mine so tightly that condensation became a big problem. I used to sleep in it a lot and just my breath would create a lot of moisture. I used standard, hardware store weather stripping to seal the tailgate. I siliconed the holes at the front of the bed. I used felt stripping up the sides of the tailgate and around the door of the capper. And finally I filled the openings up under the tops of the gunnels, that lead into the fender wells, with expanding foam.

It got wet in there and it took three days to dry out. Kinda regret going to all that trouble.

Todd Blanset
Vacaville, CA
'99 Xtra cab, 3.4L

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got a good quality cap on my truck and I sleep in the back all time. I've made it through nasty storms without getting a drop on me. You shouldnt need to seal it up everywhere.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
twblanset said:
I sealed the back of mine so tightly that condensation became a big problem. I used to sleep in it a lot and just my breath would create a lot of moisture. I used standard, hardware store weather stripping to seal the tailgate. I siliconed the holes at the front of the bed. I used felt stripping up the sides of the tailgate and around the door of the capper. And finally I filled the openings up under the tops of the gunnels, that lead into the fender wells, with expanding foam.

It got wet in there and it took three days to dry out. Kinda regret going to all that trouble.

Todd Blanset
Vacaville, CA
'99 Xtra cab, 3.4L
Well that is really good to know! Looks I wont go through that much trouble to seal it up now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
14 Participants
Uneasy Rider
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing