TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Tacoma Extracab 2.7 4x4 with a 5 speed manual.

Recently the transmission (w59 I think) developed a bad noise from inside the case - sounded like a bad bearing, probably the input shaft bearing.

I needed to use the truck right away, so instead of rebuilding I bought a used trany off a 2003 regular cab 2.7L 4x4 and swapped it in yesterday.

Everything works great, except that I cannot get the speedometer/odometer to work. The old transmission had a cable driven speedometer, and the replacement has an electronic one. I pulled the sensor off the old tranny, checked to make sure the length was the same and the diameter of the little gear on the end was the same (although I didn't count the teeth) as the new one, and put it in the hole (fit perfectly). Unfortunately, the speedometer doesn't work and I'm getting p0500.

Anybody know what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks-

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
Typically you only get a P0500 code on a cable driven speedo when the cable isn't turning. Disconnect the cable at the sensor and see if the speedo gear shaft turns with the driveshaft. Might need to disconnect the driveshaft or put the rear end on stands to confirm this. If it does turn, you'll need to check the cable next to see if it isn't snapped or something.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure the issue is not a broken cable, but that the gear isn't turning in the t-case. I suspect maybe that even though the length of the posts on the sensors passed the eye test, the gear might not be in the right place in there.

Anybody ever swapped spindles and/or gears on these speed sensors? Maybe I just need to swap the spindle and gear from the old sensor plug onto the new one?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts