TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in replacing my ADD hubs with manual hubs. I've seen the kits from companies such as the ORS manual hub kit which is around $900, while i was looking at this article and it looks like they are just adding the hubs...around $150 maybe. (edit: the 2nd gen 4runner has different setup than an '01 taco, huh?)

So my question is, do I need new CV axles and all the other elements provided in the ORS kit, or can I just get a set of hubs and swap them? :confused: (I also have a 3" spacer lift currently)

·
609 Posts
CYi5 said:
I'm interested in replacing my ADD hubs with manual hubs. I've seen the kits from companies such as the ORS manual hub kit which is around $900, while i was looking at this article and it looks like they are just adding the hubs...around $150 maybe. (edit: the 2nd gen 4runner has different setup than an '01 taco, huh?)

So my question is, do I need new CV axles and all the other elements provided in the ORS kit, or can I just get a set of hubs and swap them? :confused: (I also have a 3" spacer lift currently)
That article is for a pre Taco model year. It has idler arm linkage for the seering box while ours has rack and pinion. The swap for those models is alot easier than ours. I have the ORS kit so speaking from experience-the ADD hubs are not compatible. You need to pick up the manual version offered on some Tacoma models(2000-2001?). They give you the CV joint/axle cause the old CV won't work and the axles are a PITA to remove at home. So to be the bearer of bad news... Yup, $900.

·
609 Posts
synovus said:
Not to hijack, but am I reading your sig right? You have your Donahoe's set at 3.75" of lift???
Yup. I have the manual hubs and Total Chaos A-arms so it can handle it. I also run a diff drop for the winter months when I leave the hubs locked for extended times. The steering rack/CV's/lower BJ's have shown no ill effects.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
wisctaco04 said:
Yup. I have the manual hubs and Total Chaos A-arms so it can handle it. I also run a diff drop for the winter months when I leave the hubs locked for extended times. The steering rack/CV's/lower BJ's have shown no ill effects.
Wow, interesting. Thanks!

We now return to our normally scheduled discussion... :)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alrighty, thanks for the info. I suppose i'll be looking for someone selling a set of their used conversion when they move to SAS or something.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wisctaco04 said:
geeze, that must ride like crap since you now only have 1/4" of down-travel, LOL

·
609 Posts
hytenor said:
geeze, that must ride like crap since you now only have 1/4" of down-travel, LOL
Not at all. The ride is really good. I have an ARB and an 85 lb skid plate so the compressed springs aren't as stiff as you'd think. I still have quite a bit of down travel last time I measured but I don't remeber the exact amount. Opps, I didn't realize the sarcasm. Yes I only have 1/4" of travel. Crap that would end up being about 9 3/4" lift on the old IFS. That would ride real shitty I figure.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wisctaco04 said:
Not at all. The ride is really good. I have an ARB and an 85 lb skid plate so the compressed springs aren't as stiff as you'd think. I still have quite a bit of down travel last time I measured but I don't remeber the exact amount. Opps, I didn't realize the sarcasm. Yes I only have 1/4" of travel. Crap that would end up being about 9 3/4" lift on the old IFS. That would ride real shitty I figure.
I imagine Kreg D will tell you the same ;)

as for down-travel... the Taco IFS only has 8" total front wheel travel, 4 up and 4 down. If you are actually at a 3.75" lift you only have 1/4" left :p Do your shocks go 'clunk' when you hit a bump or dip?

·
609 Posts
hytenor said:
I imagine Kreg D will tell you the same ;)

as for down-travel... the Taco IFS only has 8" total front wheel travel, 4 up and 4 down. If you are actually at a 3.75" lift you only have 1/4" left :p Do your shocks go 'clunk' when you hit a bump or dip?
No clunk. The Hoes have that nifty integrated bump stops in addition to a poly one on the lower arm I have. I think the overall travel gets an inch from the A-arms with the uniball. I don't intend to ague but I know for a fact I have more than a 1/4" down travel left. I will try and measure once we dig out of our first 10"+ snowfall of the year. I have some donuts to burn in the lot for now.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wisctaco04 said:
No clunk. The Hoes have that nifty integrated bump stops in addition to a poly one on the lower arm I have. I think the overall travel gets an inch from the A-arms with the uniball. I don't intend to ague but I know for a fact I have more than a 1/4" down travel left. I will try and measure once we dig out of our first 10"+ snowfall of the year. I have some donuts to burn in the lot for now.
did you get the extended Hoes, the 1" longer than OE ones? That will account for more down travel. How are your CV boots? I have about 2.5" cranked into my SAWs and the fins are all touching, not badly, but touching none the less. (I have CVU axles)

10"?? LOL I think the Sierras are over 15' by now and a "century" storm is due for the weekend. the long range estimate is rain/snow for another 10 days, sheesh.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
CYi5 said:
You need the manual hubs, the CV axles and the spindles.

I did mine with parts from a junkyard 2000 Taco.

·
609 Posts
hytenor said:
did you get the extended Hoes, the 1" longer than OE ones? That will account for more down travel. How are your CV boots? I have about 2.5" cranked into my SAWs and the fins are all touching, not badly, but touching none the less. (I have CVU axles)

10"?? LOL I think the Sierras are over 15' by now and a "century" storm is due for the weekend. the long range estimate is rain/snow for another 10 days, sheesh.
Yes on the extended Hoes. I should have said that first. I just measured and I still have 2 1/8" downward travel left. Whoopie! The rim to flare distance is at 15 3/4" which is exactly 3 3/4" over what it was at stock. Each truck is a bit different or so I figured after comparing two other stock heights. My CV's only touch on the first fin on the inners last I looked. With the manual hubs I kinda ignore them unless it's a pre trip inspection. Do the CV Unlimited(CVU's?) run at greated angles or is it just for the warranty you have them?

I know 10" snow kinda sucks campared to 15' but it got me and the dog out c.c. skiiing so I'm happy. It will make for some great camping this weekend. I would gladly take a dumpung like that. I have plenty of garage time to catch up on.

Hey you might appreciate this, or not- The Phantom of The Opera is in town at the Overture Center here tonight. It just so happens all these really wealthy, really well dressed women are all trying to walk around in heels in 3-5" of fresh snow. It's quite the sight to see all these hootched up women falling down. I think in a bit I will do my duty for my 70yr old neighbor and fire up the Taco and drop her off safely in style. The milk crate step stool might be tacky for her to step down on.
Happy Wheelin'

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
wisctaco04
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing