TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the two available kits for converting to manuals. I got an 03 v6 ext cab with ADD. 'Hoes cranked high as I am comfortable with and don't want to come down from this high either:p

Was wondering if any of you guys got the kit from either Downey or ORS?
If so hows it working for ya?

I know the cheaper way is to junk yard it,but I was checking to see if I was going to miss something that I overlooked. Like new parts are nice compared to a junkyard part with x amount of miles on them.

Sam

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looking at the two available kits for converting to manuals. I got an 03 v6 ext cab with ADD. 'Hoes cranked high as I am comfortable with and don't want to come down from this high either:p

I know the cheaper way is to junk yard it,but I was checking to see if I was going to miss something that I overlooked. Like new parts are nice compared to a junkyard part with x amount of miles on them.

Sam
I was kinda thinking the same thing about NEW parts, but then I remembered these are used TOYOTA parts... you see people get over 250,000 miles on these babies all the time!! Worse case scenario, replace the old bearings in the used setup and you should be good to go.

I found a full setup off a 4runner that had 80,000 miles on it for $200.

ADD parts are a lot more easy to find though, and supposedly the ADD cv's are quite a bit stronger (nobody seems to have ever seen one break). Plus when manual hub cv's break, I hear they sometimes destroy the hub along with it. I personally am starting to really re-consider the swap all together, although my reasoning behind wanting them was for a locker up front, but I have been told I can get away with it (as others have for years).

Plus I like the 4x4 shift on the fly, comes in great when you see a traffic jam from a wreck ahead of ya on the freeway and you want to make your own exit ramp ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true,maybe wait till I break something up there and then I'll have money for the Porsche cv's. any more feedback.............

Sam

·
Registered
597 Posts
IADD parts are a lot more easy to find though, and supposedly the ADD cv's are quite a bit stronger (nobody seems to have ever seen one break). Plus when manual hub cv's break, I hear they sometimes destroy the hub along with it.
add cvs can break, they are just easier to change when they do and stronger as well;)

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
I don't see how an ADD is easier to change. That nut is a bitch to break free and torque down.

I just have to remove 6 bolts, tap with a hammer, remove the hub, remove the clip and the cv is free.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK,keep the prosand cons coming,o0r in other words keep me from spending 1k. Probably don't need to then.

Sam

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
OK,keep the prosand cons coming,o0r in other words keep me from spending 1k. Probably don't need to then.

Sam
I only did mine because my ADD's were shot and Hytenor was selling his stuff.

Why spend the 1k whenyou can just get the spindles and cv's here or at a junkyard, for a fraction of the cost?

All you need is the hubs, cvs, and spindle. Then just bolt in the new spindle, slip the cv in, and bolt on the hub onto the spindle.

Of course, if you have ABS, you will lose it...

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

Sam
the only real selling point for the ORS kit is their custom axles...they ain't just remans and are the main reason for the high price.

but, install is a pain and you have the added machine shop costs to press in/out the bearings.

swapping in OE manual hub parts takes an hr or so...maybe ;)

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
I don't see how an ADD is easier to change. That nut is a bitch to break free and torque down.
Let your nails dry and put your purse down Alice.

ADD is easier to change.. and you are less likely to have to change it in the first place.

MH conversions using stock components defies all logic.

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
Let your nails dry and put your purse down Alice.

ADD is easier to change.. and you are less likely to have to change it in the first place.

MH conversions using stock components defies all logic.

If you have ADD; converting to manual hubs is just retarded. All that time, money, and effort for very little gain. Anyone that thinks changing a manual CV is easier then a ADD CV, has never changed a CV.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

I just have to remove 6 bolts, tap with a hammer, remove the hub, remove the clip and the cv is free.
A bitch to break free? Have your buddy stand on the breaks and take a beaker bar too it, what’s the big deal? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, all the replies help out. Looks like I will keep the ADD for some time.

Sam

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there any reason why you can't just switch the ADD hubs out and put on a set of manual ones?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
A bitch to break free? Have your buddy stand on the breaks and take a beaker bar too it, what’s the big deal? :rolleyes:
What's the big deal on tapping on 6 bolts, and removing a clip?

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
LOL! Conversly, what's the big deal with one?

Why does anyone continue defending the expense and effort of converting to weak hubs and weak axles with more parts?

I understand someone's need to defend what they have and/or what they've done, but no one is calling you stupid or anything. As you gain experience, you will better understand.

Stock components comapred to stock components, MH will never be as strong as ADD, nor will it ever be cheaper to repair, nor will it ever be as easy to repair.

Facts, whether you like it or not.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
For the wheeling that I do, it suits me well.

I'm not a hardcore rock crawler, but I still do wheel a bit. It's also my DD.

I get better mpg, no boot wear anymore, and it's actually quieter in the cab on the freeway.

Sure, they're weaker. But I highly doubt I'll break a cv on a fairly easy trail.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts