TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I lock my manual hubs, I hear a grinding noise. I isolated the noise to the right side by locking only the right side and only the left side, but couldn't figure out what might be causing it. I lifted the tire up and rotate the tire locked and unlocked and can't reproduce the noise. Has anyone else out there had this problem before? Thanks in advance.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
rainman said:
When I lock my manual hubs, I hear a grinding noise. I isolated the noise to the right side by locking only the right side and only the left side, but couldn't figure out what might be causing it. I lifted the tire up and rotate the tire locked and unlocked and can't reproduce the noise. Has anyone else out there had this problem before? Thanks in advance.
I would pull the hub and clean it out looking for any crud or broken pieces. Other than that, wheel bearing.

what year truck, mileage, lift, tire size, etc??

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
put the truck on a lift and see if there is any up and down vertical play in the wheel, i.e. wheel bearings. Other than that, like hytenor said, pull the hub and check for broken pieces.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
if that gasket is torn on the locker and if theres a lack of grease inside, id highly recommend getting the bearings repacked, i took the hard route and left it, and in the end i had no bearings left due to the corrosion overtime, and the toyota guys kinda laughed at me too

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
tanKoma said:
if that gasket is torn on the locker and if theres a lack of grease inside, id highly recommend getting the bearings repacked, i took the hard route and left it, and in the end i had no bearings left due to the corrosion overtime, and the toyota guys kinda laughed at me too
huh? locker? ;) you mean the hub? You don't repack Taco bearings...factory sealed...just replace them.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
yeah thats what i meant

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had the wheel bearings replaced not too long ago. There is no play in the wheel and the noise only occurs when the hubs are locked...I'm not sure if that still means it's the wheel bearings or not.

It's a 2000 V6 4x4. 2.5" lift and came with ADD originally.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
yeah but what im sayin is that if water and etc. gets inside, your gonna have to go thru hell to get it repaired, i was guessing that the spring to the hub assembly was possibly corroded

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the hub and it is dry except for grease. I guess I could put some more grease inside.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
rainman said:
I checked the hub and it is dry except for grease. I guess I could put some more grease inside.
No, don't over grease the hubs!
They should only have a little.
Check your CVs next.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yah, I just put a little grease in the hub. Turned out the sound was coming from where the inner cv and the differential meet. I sprayed some grease at it and the noise was gone. I guess I haven't locked my hubs in a few months and some rust developed there. Problem is fixed now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
rainman said:
Yah, I just put a little grease in the hub. Turned out the sound was coming from where the inner cv and the differential meet. I sprayed some grease at it and the noise was gone. I guess I haven't locked my hubs in a few months and some rust developed there. Problem is fixed now. Thanks for all the suggestions.
glad it was a false alarm :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts