1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
285 Posts
Superwinch's web site dosen't show a hub fitting any Tacoma after 00.

I have an 01 taco with man hubs, I don't know anything about post 01 Tacos. I just checked Superwinch site after reading your post.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Manual hubs free up the front end and helps alleviate some wear and tear. Right now the axles are turning even if not in 4x4...Some feel it might even help gas mileage (not sure about that part) I am basically interesting in eliminating the wear and tear on the CV's etc...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just got off the phone with Superwinch and they confirmed that they only show applications up to 2000 on Toyota's. He did give me dimensions if I wanted to see if they would work. They're for a 26 spline/6 bolt (as advertised) axle that is 1-1/8" in diameter and the bolts are 3.54 inches from center to center. Anyone want to tear their truck apart and take some measurements? I would but mines already tore apart at a buddy's shop for a few days while the diff's get sent over to Marlin's for a regear.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
there's a lot more to it than just swapping out the hubs, hence why the kits for the last generation tacomas were so expensive. You have to swap out the internals in the spindle itself to accept the different setup for manual hub CV shafts.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Go to the junkyard, find yourself a 95-04 with manual hubs, take spindles, cv axles, hub assembly etc. and swap out said parts.

I have performed the swap and can say that I am happy that I did. I have noticed a smoother ride, little more responsive throttle, smoother steering.

Good mod for $500!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Whole different front differential on the 05+. With that in mind, I'm not sure (read have no clue) that any of the previous gen. parts would work. Anyone know for sure that cv's, etc. are interchangable with the new gen. Tacoma?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I kinda thought it was too good to be true. I remember looking into and seeing the kits for the pre 05s and it had a lot more components than just the hubs.

Steelhead said:
Go to the junkyard, find yourself a 95-04 with manual hubs, take spindles, cv axles, hub assembly etc. and swap out said parts.
Unfortunately it's not that easy for up '05+ owners. The front end it completely different and we can't swap in pre '05 parts. And they never made a manual hub version of the new Tacomas.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rogersja63 said:
I would but mines already tore apart at a buddy's shop for a few days while the diff's get sent over to Marlin's for a regear.
I know this is off toppic, but when Marlin regears your truck will he be using a solid spacer or replace it with the original Toyota crush sleeve?

·
Registered
803 Posts
SP Jon M3 said:
I know this is off toppic, but when Marlin regears your truck will he be using a solid spacer or replace it with the original Toyota crush sleeve?
I know they use a solid spacer in the rear, not sure on the front. Since it's the new 8" front they'll probably use the Toyota crush spacer that comes with the install kit I got from All Pro. Not as worried about the front, so it should hold up.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
there is no manual hub application for the '05s and never will be unless Toyota has them on the Hilux (and I doubt that). The axles are completely different as are the hub/spindle assemblies from the previous Tacoma models.
no parts are interchangable from pre '05 to present model.

If there were enough of a market for this swap I imagine ORS would come out with a kit ;) ...don't hold your breath.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
v8turbo said:
This is exactly why I joined TTORA.

I want to find a solution for the 07 Tacoma in regards to Locking hubs.

Anyone try parts from a Hi-Lux in Australia or South America? I was in both places and saw late model Toyotas with Locking hubs.
really? that's interesting. I would contact AllPro about that and see if they can come up with anything through their gear supplier.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
v8turbo said:
I want to find a solution for the 07 Tacoma in regards to Locking hubs.
Solution? That implies there is a problem?

Even if it is possible (which it isn't), the benefits of MH's are wayyy overblown. Deep down, conversion to MH's is either a desire for a touch of "old school" (making it a cosmetic novelty) or else just plain misinformation.

On previous generation Tacoma's, ADD CV's were stronger than MH CV's, and the new generation of Prado-platform axles are even beefier than those were!

You will have to take more things apart to change the broken manual hub CV's, which you will do anyway because they are weaker.

You will have the pleasure of buying expensive hub parts when it breaks inside.

You can't easily unlock the hub after it has fragged.

Just throwing out the other side of the argument for the stronger, simpler ADD shafts.

Heck, you gotta change it anyway... sometime. May as well carry a spare that you are less likely to use.

My whole problem is that people settle for weaker CVs and a more complicated hub so when they break they don't have to change them... a statement that defies any logic whatsoever.

It has to be changed sometime, so why not run the simpler, stronger shaft that is less likely to fail in the first place! Buy your replacement axle ahead of time instead of after the fact, carry it and know how to change it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Solution? That implies there is a problem?

Even if it is possible (which it isn't), the benefits of MH's are wayyy overblown. Deep down, conversion to MH's is either a desire for a touch of "old school" (making it a cosmetic novelty) or else just plain misinformation.

On previous generation Tacoma's, ADD CV's were stronger than MH CV's, and the new generation of Prado-platform axles are even beefier than those were!

You will have to take more things apart to change the broken manual hub CV's, which you will do anyway because they are weaker.

You will have the pleasure of buying expensive hub parts when it breaks inside.

You can't easily unlock the hub after it has fragged.

Just throwing out the other side of the argument for the stronger, simpler ADD shafts.

Heck, you gotta change it anyway... sometime. May as well carry a spare that you are less likely to use.

My whole problem is that people settle for weaker CVs and a more complicated hub so when they break they don't have to change them... a statement that defies any logic whatsoever.

It has to be changed sometime, so why not run the simpler, stronger shaft that is less likely to fail in the first place! Buy your replacement axle ahead of time instead of after the fact, carry it and know how to change it!

was hoping that MH's would save on front end wear, i run on the LA freeways at 75-90 MPH daily. 95% Highway... figured a free wheeling front end would be much better then spinning all the running gear at high speed daily.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts