TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was told on here that the auto taco will do alot better on the highway vs. the manual. I'm not saying he's wrong or anything but just wanting to know for sure... It was on my other post about me buying a truck who said it.. Something like the manual did 3500 rpm @ 80mph and the auto did 2500 rpm 80mph?? How is this so when they are geared the same.. 3.73 gearing.. CAn anyone enlighten me please before I settle on my manual becuase I do my fair share of highway driving.. Just got me worried lol? thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
The tranny drive ratio's are different. The autos final ratio keeps the engine turning at around 350 RPM's slower at around 60 mph.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
bigbadyoda said:
I recently was told on here that the auto taco will do alot better on the highway vs. the manual.
What do you mean by better?

Lower RPM would be better for cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The autos in the 05+'s are great. Five gears are alot better than four and it also has intelegenace, its also pretty smooth. Get the towing package so you get the ATF cooler!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Like my auto a lot. I don't have the patience to drive SoCal freeways with a stick. X2 get the tow pkg for the coolers.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've drove mostly manuals my life.. and if they aren't too different i'd stick to the manual.. If not I may consider the auto.. I just heard that they were like 1,000 rpm lower on the highways then the manual?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I love the manual in my 05 and I prefer the control over the Auto. On the freeway it is not bad at all. With 265's and a bullbar with winch I still get @20 mpg. 1st gear is low and a great asset to towing anything.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 05 6spd manual with the 4.0 and my wife has a 05 auto with the 4.0 both are 4x4. The manual's six gear is geared lower than the auto's overdrive resulting with the manual running at a higher rpm. The gas mileage is better in the auto cruising down the highway by 1 or 2 mpg, but i mean its your preference, i will give up that to have an awesome 6 spd manual, and i pull my boat and a trailer a lot. either or is amazing IMO, just chose which one you want the most and you will be happy.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But exactly how much lower? in my truck i've got now, when I run 80 it's at about 3K.. what are the manual's and the auto's rpm when around there? I thought the new 6 speed felt more powerful, but the same ratio (about) just with and extra big gear(6th)..

·
Registered
278 Posts
K20Z3Si said:
The autos in the 05+'s are great. Five gears are alot better than four and it also has intelegenace, its also pretty smooth. Get the towing package so you get the ATF cooler!

05's have a 5 speed stick not 4 :rolleyes:

05 2.7 reg cab 5 speed stick

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thought he ment compared to the 04 models and lower cause don't they have 4 the auto's ?

·
Registered
278 Posts
bigbadyoda said:
thought he ment compared to the 04 models and lower cause don't they have 4 the auto's ?

You might be right rabbit!
Than I retract my DaaaHHHhhh!

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you know how to drive standard you will always get better mpg than autos.
_______

The thread originally asked driving down the highway, correct me if I am wrong but running at seventy five down the interstate, not a whole lot of shifting is occurring. So you are basically down to the gearing of the transmissions since the axles are the same. And even still driving around town, I own both, 05's manual and auto, 4.0L V6's, 4x4, the new 5 spd auto gets better all around, in town and highway. It just comes down to personal preference. Both are good, the manual will run about 350 rpms higher than the auto as stated above. you will be around 2900 at 80 with the 6 spd. I prefer the 6 spd because I have always driven manuals, but the auto is no slouch either, hooks up very well when needed, doesn't look for a gear, grabs and goes. I say if you are pulling a trailer, or are comfortable driving a standard offroad, go with the 6spd, if you are running up and down the highway unloaded, and cruising heavy traffic get the auto. Just my opinion. Hope I answered your questions.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Not better than a properly programmed auto with a full lock up converter and higher OD gearing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It is hard to say. They depends what kinda hwy we are talking about. Are we talkin about a mountain pass or a free way.
Mountain hwys and auto trannys are not a good mix the bloody things shift up and down constantly.
I had a 01 double cab with v6 and 4speed auto and it was the dumbest transmission i ever owned. I hit a very meanly gradded hwy and going up each mountain side the tranny would kick between third and forth at least 6 times. So bloody annoyin and the gearing was so far stretched at 140 km hr in 3rd gear looking at rpm in the 4500 range.

I have since then got a 6speed 07 access cab and love it. Will be crusin in 6th hit a steep incline ride it till i notice im losing the reps and then shift down to 5th and plow right up the hill and hit 6th when i reach the peak. Feel the power listen to the tunes ah driven my taco is fun.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Unless I am searching wrong on the web...... I see that a 5spd auto and the 6spd manual have different final drive ratios which is what we are talking about. Like I said unless I am wrong the 6th gear in the manual is higher (numerically lower) than the overdrive in the auto. Now if this is true I would think the manual would get better mileage in the long haul given identical conditions and a good driver.

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/html/Toyota/1997-2007_Toyota_Transmissions.htm#6sptrn

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Anthony Sordi said:
It is hard to say. They depends what kinda hwy we are talking about. Are we talkin about a mountain pass or a free way.
Mountain hwys and auto trannys are not a good mix the bloody things shift up and down constantly.
I had a 01 double cab with v6 and 4speed auto and it was the dumbest transmission i ever owned. I hit a very meanly gradded hwy and going up each mountain side the tranny would kick between third and forth at least 6 times. So bloody annoyin and the gearing was so far stretched at 140 km hr in 3rd gear looking at rpm in the 4500 range.

I have since then got a 6speed 07 access cab and love it. Will be crusin in 6th hit a steep incline ride it till i notice im losing the reps and then shift down to 5th and plow right up the hill and hit 6th when i reach the peak. Feel the power listen to the tunes ah driven my taco is fun.
You may have a point. But then again, you would still have to shift that manual in the same situations. Check out the new matics, they are a hell of a lot smarter than the old ones. Also consider, who wants to shift a manual a bazillion times a day in freeway traffic. Can you say worn out clutch and big left leg from the constant work outs :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
mojavegold said:
You may have a point. But then again, you would still have to shift that manual in the same situations. Check out the new matics, they are a hell of a lot smarter than the old ones. Also consider, who wants to shift a manual a bazillion times a day in freeway traffic. Can you say worn out clutch and big left leg from the constant work outs :)
I drive in Slow Cal. traffic everyday, I have 127,000 on my original clutch, and my legs are the same size.... ;)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
DakotaTacoma said:
I drive in Slow Cal. traffic everyday, I have 127,000 on my original clutch, and my legs are the same size.... ;)
I feel for you :) I am waaaaay too type "A" to drive a stick in SoCal freeway rush hour. More power to ya, I'll stick with my matic...it keeps me sane :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts