TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i changed the fluid on my transmission about 2 weeks ago. i didn't replace the crush rings and so i learned from that mistake because i was getting fluid leaking from the fillplug while driving. well ive replaced the crushring and the plug as well and im still getting that nice tranny fluid smell in first and second. does anyone have any brilliant ideas for me?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
tacotoy said:
i changed the fluid on my transmission about 2 weeks ago. i didn't replace the crush rings and so i learned from that mistake because i was getting fluid leaking from the fillplug while driving. well ive replaced the crushring and the plug as well and im still getting that nice tranny fluid smell in first and second. does anyone have any brilliant ideas for me?
you mean a smell inside the cab? if so, unless you have a rip in your shift boots then you have gotten some oil on the seat or carpet somewhere.
been there, done that.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
The smell usually doesn't come from leaking gear oil. The tranny and transfer both have vents right on top next to the shifter plate. If your tranny is overfilled slightly, and you pull first and/or second gear into high RPMs, then the fast movement of the gear oil releases some pressure from vent, and thats what you smell. Basically, this condition is completely normal.

My solution to this problem and other issue was to run Redline MT-90 gear oil. It doesn't have that awful dino gear oil smell.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah but im using mobil 1 syn i would think that that would take care of that..... how much is redline a qt?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Ditto on the Redline Mt-90 that stuff is the shit!!! Got rid of my notchy shifting. :xbeer2:

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
ShowStop said:
I bought it from www.myoilshop.com and it was $7.00 less 10% discount. I think the dealer code is 654132
Gotta tell ya, I had notchy shifting when I dumped Hypoid in (all I had on hand), drained & switched to Royal Purple, even notchier. Granted, I have the LCE short shifter so the synchro's aren't gonna be completely happy ever, but I'm gonna hop on the MT-90 bus soon. I think it gets notchy from being too slick...

·
Chicks Dig Body Damage
542 Posts
What kind of fluid did you run?

·
Registered
203 Posts
tacotoy said:
Like others have said, get some Redline MT-90. When I switched from the factory fill to the MT-90, my shifting was smoother. Now that I've filled with fresh MT-90, after 30k miles, it shifts even smoother.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Redline

I switched from factory fluid to redline and found it to be less smooth. My clutch went and they put factory fluid back in and it's still notchy. I think there must be something about the factory fluid level that makes it shift smoother. My first-second gear sucks when it's below about 30 degrees. Once it warms up it gets much easier.

·
Registered
103 Posts
onemoreokie said:
I switched from factory fluid to redline and found it to be less smooth. My clutch went and they put factory fluid back in and it's still notchy. I think there must be something about the factory fluid level that makes it shift smoother. My first-second gear sucks when it's below about 30 degrees. Once it warms up it gets much easier.
A long time ago someone posted about overfilling the tranny by 1-2 cups through the shifter. I did this when I switched to Redline and it really is pretty smooth now. I did notice that my '03 came overfilled from the factory too...

·
Registered
203 Posts
onemoreokie said:
Which Redline did you put in?

·
Registered
108 Posts
ShowStop said:
The smell usually doesn't come from leaking gear oil. The tranny and transfer both have vents right on top next to the shifter plate. If your tranny is overfilled slightly, and you pull first and/or second gear into high RPMs, then the fast movement of the gear oil releases some pressure from vent, and thats what you smell. Basically, this condition is completely normal.

My solution to this problem and other issue was to run Redline MT-90 gear oil. It doesn't have that awful dino gear oil smell.
So does this mean it is safe to overfill the tranny? I've always noticed that Toyota fills them up to were they are gushing out the fill hole. I saw in this discussion that it might be good to overfill the tranny with one or two cups of gear fluid. I think I might park with half my truck on the curb to angle the tranny and fill it up more, because it is shifting like a biotch, even with this expensive Amsoil
:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
73 Posts
alabamatacomaguy said:
about how long should a normal clutch last in miles/years
sorry to get off subject just switched to a maunel taco and was wondering
Use the clutch properly and you will have no problems ever. I put 250,000 miles on a Isuzu Trooper and never replaced a thing. 156,000 on my 96 Tacoma and 108,000 currently on my 2001. Zero problems with clutch.

Don't "slip" the clutch excessively or ride with your foot resting on the pedal all the time. Those two things alone will cause excessive wear and a short life.

The advice about the Redline MT-90 is good! I had the same problem after replacing mine. MT-90 took care of the problem. Works great!

·
Registered
116 Posts
ShowStop said:

When switching from dino oil to the Redline or any other synth oil, would flushing the transmission be necessary?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts