TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning right now on a tube bed for the taco. Due to the fact that this area has year round high humidity, high concentrations of road salt, and off the shelf paint i have used in the past has rusted through. I dont want all my hard work to turn into a rusty mess after a year. So has anyone ever tried marine grade paint? Im talking the shit they paint ships with. What should i look for in brands and paint types?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
There used to be a jeep around that had marine paint. Seemed solid and rust free.

My dad has a sailboat. He buys a lot from West Marine. They are a good company. I would guess they are not close to you though.

Smart idea if you don't want to line-x your whole truck.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I am planning right now on a tube bed for the taco. Due to the fact that this area has year round high humidity, high concentrations of road salt, and off the shelf paint i have used in the past has rusted through. I dont want all my hard work to turn into a rusty mess after a year. So has anyone ever tried marine grade paint? Im talking the shit they paint ships with. What should i look for in brands and paint types?
durabak.com makes pretty durable rhino line style tough paint. Lined a whole truck with it and it looks great and holds up in MT weather!

Good luck on your search!:welder:

·
Registered
796 Posts
If there is a farm supply type store near you they have farm equipment paint that may work well too.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any kind of bedliner stuff that i have seen painted on the exterior of a truck looks like crap it seems and comes right off. I use the body as a pivot, so that would be counter productive lol. Upon further research alot of the "good" marine paint is either banned, or is very hard for the home mechanic to apply without the right tools and safety equipment. Looks i may just be spray bombing it with POR 15 undercoat paint and hope for the best.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Another option is to check Eastwood they have some good rust proof products for your application. Painted my frame with there stuff and its still mostly rust free after a few years now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There's a few marine paints out there but they vary by purpose. Granted, steel ocean going ships need rust prevention but a bigger problem for all types of boats, including fiberglass pleasure boats that West Marine caters to, is growths on the hull such as barnacles, algae, etc. All the build up slows down the boat as it goes through the water so special paints are designed to combat the problem. The down side is those paints are getting banned because they either leach toxins (to kill marine growth) or "slough" away paint layers as the boat moves. Tree huggers hate water pollution.

I guess my point is, a marine paint that's designed to flake away wouldn't hold up when wheeling a truck. There are a lot of rust prevention options though.

my two cents
Cliff from Cheers

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a few marine paints out there but they vary by purpose. Granted, steel ocean going ships need rust prevention but a bigger problem for all types of boats, including fiberglass pleasure boats that West Marine caters to, is growths on the hull such as barnacles, algae, etc. All the build up slows down the boat as it goes through the water so special paints are designed to combat the problem. The down side is those paints are getting banned because they either leach toxins (to kill marine growth) or "slough" away paint layers as the boat moves. Tree huggers hate water pollution.

I guess my point is, a marine paint that's designed to flake away wouldn't hold up when wheeling a truck. There are a lot of rust prevention options though.

my two cents
Cliff from Cheers
Yup thats pretty much what i found out. You would think that the hippies would want the ship to burn 100,000+ of gallons less fuel a year than sluffing off paint, oh wit thats logical thinking. All the stuff with high zinc contents are being pahsed out, and on top of that it poses health hazards if you dont have the right PPE to spray it. So looks like ill have to find some automotive grade stuff and deal with it. I cant wait to move out of this humid, damp, salt filled god forsaken hell hole known as Illinois and move someplace dry.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I cant wait to move out of this humid, damp, salt filled god forsaken hell hole known as Illinois and move someplace dry.
Hear, hear!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I cant wait to move out of this humid, damp, salt filled god forsaken hell hole known as Illinois and move someplace dry.
I'm in Florida where the humidity has salt in it. At times I've thought about painting my frame and bumpers with used motor oil but that might lead to other problems.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'm in Florida where the humidity has salt in it. At times I've thought about painting my frame and bumpers with used motor oil but that might lead to other problems.
Been in Florida my whole life, never seen rust on Any frames here. Unless you're driving it into the ocean you'll be fine

Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Looks i may just be spray bombing it with POR 15 undercoat paint and hope for the best.
Im not sure about the undercoat paint but POR 15 is not uv stable. Rustbullet is uv resistant so it can be used as a top coat, I don't think its available in a rattle can though. Spraying these moisture cure urethanes (por15,rustbullet) should probably be left to a pro with the proper equipment. You should be able to find someone who will spray it for $100 or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts