TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 with the All Pro SAS installed. It was suggested and I took it that I install a crawler while everything was apart. I had the latest Marlin Crawler installed. All this was in Sept of last year. I have had to use the crawler about four times since I have had it. Well the problem is that the crawler main gear that mates up with the Toyota transfer case, and the shaft coming out of the transfer case have eaten each other up. This happened while I was in two wheel drive on dry road. The splines on the shaft and the center splines inside of the main gear are stripped out evenly. The mechanic say's it is a defect with the crawler that is know to Marlin in other versions but has not been seen in this version. Anyone else see this? How do you keep it from happening again short of removing the crawler and buying another drive shaft?
By the by Marlin does not stock the repair parts and only makes a new run when they feel like it, so you just have to wait weeks to get it fixed. Good customer service, I think not. They don't answer emails and only rarely answer the phone.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
they do take care of the problem, just sometimes its very tedious to get through

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Marlin WILL make it right..Keep calling..

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Try contacting them thru their forum.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Richard said:
How do you keep it from happening again short of removing the crawler and buying another drive shaft?...
...Good customer service, I think not. They don't answer emails and only rarely answer the phone.
Simple answer, call Jim at inchworm and order up his kit, then sell your kit once you get the proper parts replaced. The OE T-case input is the weak link for both companies. Neither engage fully as they should. Wait till you break the input 100 miles from home. Good times ahead.

I found that Marlin and his crew are highly regarded in the community, but from time to time have questionable business practices. They may make it right eventually, but part of running a business is making it right now and keeping people happy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
shovelracer said:
I found that Marlin and his crew are highly regarded in the community, but from time to time have questionable business practices. They may make it right eventually, but part of running a business is making it right now and keeping people happy.
I find that statement to be completely false. I've been dealing with Marlin on and off for over 10 years now. He is by far the most ethical person in this business and will go far out of his way to make things right. He can't do that, however, if he doesn't know about it.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
shovelracer said:
Simple answer, call Jim at inchworm and order up his kit, then sell your kit once you get the proper parts replaced. The OE T-case input is the weak link for both companies. Neither engage fully as they should. Wait till you break the input 100 miles from home. Good times ahead.

Marlin Crawler has always, and I mean ALWAYS held up on their end, and past. UPS lost a shipment worth hundreds of dollars, MC did the leg work and just set another one out, asking me to send the other one back IF it arrives. I have never had a single problem with them aside from their phones being buisy. Please don't bring bad information on to the board.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Not trying to spread negative propaganda. Just speaking from experience. I have bought several things from them over the years. Overall they are one of the better companies out there. However from time to time, they can be unconsistant. Keeping in mind that this is one persons perspective and experience, not gospel.

I love my springs and all the brackets and smaller stuff I have bought throughout the years. They have been shipped quickly and correctly. However when I bought my crawler from Jim I chose him for a reason. That was that I couldnt get any response from Marlin. I spent 2 weeks calling, emailing, posting on their board. Probably called 10 times with no response, emailed 5 times with no response, and went on their board only to get no response from the company. This was during the time that they were trying to move and had some issues with that. I understand they had a lot to deal with, but still could have returned a phone call.

As a business owner myself I can understand their position at the time this happened, but does not excuse it. If I dont respond to my potential clients within 24 hours I lose their business period. There are too many other choices out there. Just cause they have the market locked down on certain items doesn't excuse this practice. Overall they are great, and I will do business with them again as should everyone else. But my experience with them in the past will also cause me to look elsewhere for comparable products.

Lastly the crawlers on the market are unique items and require many hours of R&D. Still though they are not perfect. They do not fully engage the splines of the OE T-case input shaft. Why? I dont know? I'm not an engineer, but I can tell you they arent as good as they can be.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I thought that coupler on mine was pretty decently long... it was the front one that I was worried about. I realize not as much torque on the tranny output, but I didn't feel like that front coupler covered but about half.
I want to say my rear coupler, from Marlin? I think, was pretty damn long and made up most of that space.
I got mine a year ago, wonder if they have changed at all since you got yours?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
shovelracer said:
There is no coupler in the rear. The input goes into modified rear output crawler gear. Coupler was in front and I felt it to be fine.
Damn, now I'm all messed up...
I guess its been too long and too many suds since.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I tried to dig up an old pic, but I guess I never took a pic of the back of the crawler. I guess technically it is a coupler, but not like the front. Maybe I'm wrong. That happens every now and then. Does anyone have a pic of the rear output?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Gee that looks familiar, welcome to the club. I think I was the founding member. It's kinda nice having some company.
I think there is another reason that happens. Somthing to do with a binding situation of some kind that happened with early units. When you do finally manage to get him on the phone, ask him about it.

As good of a guy as Marlin is, I do agree that their communication needs improvment.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Dick Foster said:
As good of a guy as Marlin is, I do agree that their communication needs improvment.
That's all I was getting at. Not trying to bad mouth them. They do offer great stuff. I will leave the bad mouthing for companies that deserve it like NWOR and 4WP.

·
Alumnus maximus
678 Posts
Dick Foster said:

Dick,
I like you a lot, have a lot of respect for you.
I say the same about Marlin...

im glad you said this. Such a great company, why such a lack of cust. service personnel? No one wants to see a company like that, with such good employees lose any amount of business because of such an issue.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Marlin is a great guy, Im sure you will get through and he will help you out. He did with me and it was the best experiance I think I have ever had from any 4x4 biz. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Why dont all you ttora guys from norcal go volunteer at MC one day a week answering phones and returning e-mails? You all could alternate days, I bet they would get caught up in no time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts