TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting here as this is the forum that I read the most and I live in Colorado Springs making this my home chapter. Only wheeled with maybe 2 or 3 of you here but still, this was a great trip and I hope to inspire more people to take it if they can.

Day 1:
Started on the Loon Lake side of the Rubicon trail. You start out on a rock slab and are immediately put off camber and dropping in very steep and large drops. You then go through a very large boulder field and end up at the top of the bowl. There are several lines down the bowl that let you pick if you are ok with off camber or just want to go straight at it and take the large drop offs. I was riding and the driver decided on the drop offs as he hated being off camber at all.

Once you made it to the bottom you then had to climb up the other side witch was much the same but instead of falling down the large steps you had to climb up them. Once to the top there is a steep loose hill climb with a bolder at the top that you have to get very close to and caused several dents to the 4Runner in our group.

You then set into the trail that has boulders everywhere you go and steps and trees the whole way. There is no rest time or even time to even relax. If it is not a bolder field that you have to navigate that is constant trying to throw you on your side or steps up steep inclines, then there are the enormous trees that riddle the trail that you have to go around and over.

At the bottom of a hill the trail opens up again and you are on a rock slab with a fork in the road, 1 way is to Little Sluice and the other is up the rock slab. What I have heard is that Little Sluice was blasted some time back to keep all the trucks out of it that should not be in there and when I saw the size of the rocks in there I am not even sure how it is considered a trail and not just a rock pile of car size boulders.

The group I went with did not trailer to the trail except the J14 jeep that was on 44's so we took the bypass of Little Sluice to make sure we could get out of there and finish the trail. After a short lunch we started again and were immediately met with a large drop off and then another large area of off camber and ledges that we had to go over. There was just section after section of drops and climbs to make it through the slab area and make our way down the trail.

This is Big Sluice and WOW, it is a sharp down hill turn in the middle of a bolder field and then you are on a very narrow trail with boulders that are constantly pushing you to the edge of the trail. Because we were at an event there we photographers at all the large obstacles here and spotters for the lines that you wanted to take at the 2 main obstacles. One obstacle was on the driver side and you had 2 boulders that were to far apart to get both wheels on so you have to put 1 wheel on it and then lay the truck down on the other. The other side was a large boulder that you had to go very high up on turning down hill while a tree and a boulder go very close to the driver side. The second is the one that we choose and going very, very slowly we made it around with no damage. After 1 more large and dangerous obstacle you are at the bottom and an area to park and catch your breath.

After this it is just back to more boulders and trees until you get close to the springs where there is another fork in the road and we choose driver side witch took us into a large muddy area where the holes are under mud and you can flop over very easy as we almost did. Once in the springs and down at the cabins the trail does not let up you have to constantly being going over boulders and climbing steep grades to get to the camping areas with the added amount of traffic that is very heavy down here.

We setup camp at the back of what is called The Dirty Dozen. You have to cross a 4 foot deep or so river to get over to this camping area and the trees are huge. The Dr. Pepper can was set on the tree to show perspective.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Day 2:
This was the day of the main event. A few of us just walked over to the main cabin area as it was easier to walk then to break camp and drive over there. It was pretty busy and the road in was stacked with trucks and almost every place you looked there was a truck or 2 jammed into the spots.

During the event one of the people I went with wanted to go on the helicopter ride but could not find 2 more people to go. After talking a lot of crap about it the whole way in and how dumb it was, I said I would go. :) This was way better $60 spent then the $50 on raffle tickets.

After the event and having a great time watching people dive into a mud pit for a t-shirt that would not even fit them and having some pretty good food, I was invited to ride along with the J14 Jeep that we came in with, a built Tacoma, and the Axial buggy to go to a part of the trail that is a out and back section called The Hell Hole. It was pitch black and my camera battery died so no photos. Taking photos on this ride would have been to hard anyway because of the incredible fear factor that this trail has. I was with some over built rigs and there was nothing we back down from except when we got on the wrong trail at the top of the canyon and there was a 200 ft cliff that we had on the driver side and had to reverse out and around a large tree that caused the wheels to chirp a lot pulling them around the cliff. We then started heading down from there just dropping over huge drops where the front would basically go vertical and the back wheels would be used to shovel the front end out of the ground.

After we got down to where we thought the trail was and had come to another large cliff down that went right into the river we headed in more to the canyon. We then started to go up again and were faced with a wall that we had to go vertical up and slide along with just the front tires hanging to the top edge, kind of like hanging on with both hands to a bar and working yourself sideways. We watched both the truck and the buggy make it up no problem and we had no fear that the J14 would walk right up it, and it would have except that earlier on the trail we had lost the bolt for the traction bar that keeps the axle from wrapping back from the enormous amount of stress put on it by the engine. This bolt caused the track bar to come free and pivot to much and when then engine sent a lot of torque to the back axle it broke the straps for the drive line pulling 2 caps off the yoke of the drive-line. At any other time this would have been no big deal as it is just 1 over sized bolt, a new yoke, and a couple sleeves, except for the fact that the J14 tools and parts were mistaken left back at camp by the owner.

With the amount of skill we had at the truck though they fixed a J14 custom jeep with Toyota parts and bolts that we found on the trail. It was a crazy thing to see and be apart of as these guys just seem to get it done and have no fear laying under a truck and say to drive it closer to them to turn the axle down. Just amazing work.

After the trail fix it was very late at night and since the Jeep was not all together completely we did not go on and returned back to camp so I never was able to see Hell Hole, but I defiantly can say it was scary as hell just getting to where we were. Will go back one day and see it though, but maybe in the daytime with tools and parts.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Day 3:
We broke camp and loaded all in for the finial day and the famous Cadillac Hill that was our way out. We expected a lot of traffic going up the hill because of everybody heading out. Also hearing all the things about this part of the trail I was very anxious to see this. We had heard from some of the experienced guys that they had done a lot of changes and large boulders were moved making it not at all as hard as it used to be.

I was expecting a lot more out of this part of the trail as there was not much to it at all. The start seemed the worst to me as you are on the side of the hill going up large steps and then a very sketchy part where you have to turn up the hill and then go on your side once at the top of a rock slab to get past a boulder that will bump you right off the trail and down the hill to be caught by the trees. After that section though it was not hard at all up to the summit and nothing that was a real challenge.

If you go though please note that not much would have looked like a challenge to me after the night had before so it might all be perspective and this is still a hard trail that does not quit just seemed to be much like the rest and not as bad as what I was expecting from it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wrap up:
This is one of the most amazing trails I have personally ever done that does not give you a break at any point and is amazing to see and should defiantly be experienced as the photos I took are not even a small portion of what is there and what you will see.

I was a passenger/spotter this whole trip and loved every minute of it. Even if you get the chance just to ride along you will get an amazing amount of knowledge and be able to take a trail that you will not ever go over 5mph. Going during a event like this put a lot of traffic on the trail and it was still one of the most memorable experiences in my life.

Anyone driving the trail, take a passenger with you as this is such a great experience that everyone that can handle should get to do it even if it is not driving it.

The famous green bridge picture that everyone has to have:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Nice trip report! I went to this event back in 2008 and it was definitely worth it. Been wanting to get back ever since leaving NorCal.

Maybe next year.....

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Wow, there were a lot of good looking rigs there. It would be fun to go just for that.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Damn. Epic trip for sure. I am so in for next year. Marlin Roundup or not.
WHO'S COMIN WITH ME?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well, we'll check my finances in a year from now.
I just may buy you that heli ride, for being a Rubicon guide of course!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts