TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marlin excluded me from going on the trail opening crew this weekend because I'm too hot and cold, don't talk to people sometimes, and they don't know what's going on. In his own words "your behavior is too weird and some people, including myself don't want to deal with you". I have told Marlin repeatedly that what he's seeing is Traumatic Brain Injury, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Last October I had a long talk with Marlin trying to help him understand what's going on. Really, all it is is occasionally I'm wiped out and need some space, and he isn't willing to give me that space.

Fast forward to the club meeting last week, when Marlin asked for rigs, or riders to fill empty seats, I put my hand up. He wrote me down, after not hearing from him I called Monday. He said he still didn't know what was going on, and would let me know. Wednesday he calls and tells me he's full up, and don't need me. He's blaming my eyesight, I remind him we have one club member with no eyesight in one eye that goes. He wasn't making any sense, finally I said "just be honest with me". That's when he finally told me he didn't want me going because of my behavior.

Prior to that he had been saying "who are you going to ride with?", I asked if he could ask one of the drivers for me, he said no. He does that for other people. So in the end, he wasn't full up, he was just excluding me.

This isn't the first time Marlin was involved in labeling the limitations I have from a combat injury as a behavior problem, he was on the clubs board of directors two years ago when I was put on member in poor standing over it. Yes, he was for taking the action without even talking to me (which was a departure from 59 years of club tradition). We had some people on the board that year whose actions didn't reflect what the membership wanted. So when I stood up at a general meeting and told the membership what the board had done, you could have heard a pin drop. After the meeting many members expressed that what the board had done wasn't right. The next meeting was elections, and all five board members were replaced (mid term). And even more compelling, a friend I had recently brought into the club got the most votes for board member by a landslide. Members voted for him so he could help fix the situation.

Iv'e helped open the trail every year since 08, I've walked the trail to give a conditions report every year since 09. I didn't walk this year because of my eye surgery, I wasn't recovered yet. So the Forest Service did it instead. I'm the one that got the money to build toilets (with much help from voters), we built them in my back yard. I got quotes, purchased all the materials, and coordinated with Forest Service to get what they could provide, I also got the plans updated. A Pirate member did that per my instructions (thank you). I also was the go to guy for everyone's questions on the installation trips, all four are installed now. Marlin's predecessors requested me to go help, chairmen of our other trails request me to go help. And guess who requested me to go help when I was instrumental in getting the toilets installed? Marlin.

When some people see me not be able to respond to them, they are genuinely concerned and caring. They want to help, but give me my space. That is "helping" by the way. When Marlin and those he hangs around with see the same situation, they assume I just did something disrespectfull to them, get angry (some of them) and make things much worse. Then they go behind my back and get me in trouble.

I do have to admit, marlin has taken the time for me to explain things to him. However, afterwards it seems like we never had that conversation.

When the board had me on poor standing, the VA people that were providing my treatment, and a lawyer friend of mine were telling me I had a clear discrimination lawsuit. I was being urged to go to the Civil Rights Commission. Being that stress was a major factor in the whole thing, I decided not to add stress by suing. Not my style anyway, I thought if I could help Marlin and others see what's actually going on, things would get smoother and we could work together. So, it's not like I jumped to take action (posting this). Marlin had plenty of time to do the right thing.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Ed, I think it's about time you started keeping this kind of shit to yourself and started trying to cope instead of copping out as most of us veterans do. Now quit whining. This board and all the other wheeling boards out there are not your personal pissing posts. Me thinks you doth complain too much.

For all the years I've known him, Marlin has been an outstanding member and a credit to the wheeling community and you are the ONLY one I've ever known who have had anything but good to say about him. Numbers tell all there is to tell about almost any tale.

As you know I found that you to have gone weird too and I will also never wheel with you again until you learn to behave yourself. Your behavior last year was disgraceful and inexcusable.

If you simply can't or won't behave in public, then perhaps you should stay out of the public.

BTW Quit quoting the VA as any kind of authority. As anyone who has had any dealing with them knows, myself included, the VA has mostly their own interests at heart instead of those of veterans. The more PTSD bullshit they can cite, adds to their budget and that is really all those clowns are interested in. It like any other gubberment agency is a bureaucracy run amok and can't be relied upon.

BTW If I were you, I quit talking about law suits because you're opening yourself up to very large one and you are supplying all the evidence needed to make a slam dunk, open and shut libel case

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could a mod please remove Crawler from the title?

Dick Foster out in left field as usual. My behavior was perfectly fine last year. You were the first person I was able to tell what was going on and that I couldn't handle interaction at that moment, thanks to the VA. There are very good people there. It was your insistence on ignoring me and overloading my brain even further that was disgraceful.

You are clueless if you think I'm making choices.

From August 2012 to about April 2014 I was going to speech therapy at the VA hospital once a week, what they would do is purposely overload the brain to try and make it grow. They usually had three staffers, each one would work with one veteran for an hour. They did this all week long, that's a lot of people in the same boat as me.

It would start with me being given words to remember, then I would be crossing off symbols on a full size sheet of paper while she was reading to me. She would stop and ask what the words were, then stop and ask what she had been reading to me earlier, give me new words and repeat. Sometimes we would play cards, board games, or memory games on the computer, they would play the radio, be working with others in the same room, talking on the phone, people coming and going. All purposely to create distractions. I would leave there with nothing left. Many times I would go home and take a nap, and I don't take naps.

It was very tough, but I do see results. A lot of times I go into a store now I can talk to employees, I couldn't do that before. I couldn't split my focus, I had to do one thing at a time. The doctors would say the brain couldn't handle multiple input because of damaged pathways.

I stopped going because the service provider quit the VA, the helpers were students. I started going to a different speech pathologist at the VA a few weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
You can use any excuse you want, Ed but beating up on Marlin isn't likely to win you any friends anywhere. Too many people know the man.

Then again I too find it strange that this behavior of yours is somewhat recent and was nowhere in evidence in previous years and encounters.

Based on my experences with them, I suggest taking what the VA says with a very large dose of salt but be that as it may, you do what you think is right for you. The VA isn't widely known as a quality care provider, quite the opposite in fact.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can use any excuse you want, Ed but beating up on Marlin isn't likely to win you any friends anywhere. Too many people know the man.

Then again I too find it strange that this behavior of yours is somewhat recent and was nowhere in evidence in previous years and encounters.

Based on my experences with them, I suggest taking what the VA says with a very large dose of salt but be that as it may, you do what you think is right for you. The VA isn't widely known as a quality care provider, quite the opposite in fact.
No excuses, I'm just telling it like it is. It's not recent, I was diagnosed in November 2005. Not everything is all or nothing, it's been going on for ten years. Sometimes things go better than other times, and like I told you before there were others to keep you occupied before. If there were others to keep you occupied last year, it wouldn't have been a problem either. Or if you gave me the space I asked for.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i bet the make up sex was amazing.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
^ haha:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts