TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gathering parts right now for my sas and have everything planned out however im debating on which front springs to go with. i plan to run 37x12.5x15 mt/r tires. I know that they would clear with rancho 44044's but my truck is pretty light (2.7L reg cab) so i think they might be a little stiff. Thats why i was thinkin of the marlin springs and wondering which of those (4" or 5") is tall enough... after breaking in... to clear 37's. Thanks in advance.
-chase

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Be careful, my 4" marlins actually sagged right out of the box on my ext cab 4cyl taco. It was as though the truck was just too much weight for the spring that is desinged for the lighter gen trucks. Personally, I would talk to Alcan and see what they can do for you. After the Marlins, I went with custom Alcans which rock! Either that, or like David said, use stock waggys.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I recently talked to the guys down at trail gear for I am in the same situation you are in, and they advised me to go with the new 5'' HD springs, they are the same price as the 4", and basic 5"ers so no loss there. Plus if u add more weight on ur truck *winch/bumper* you will be in the clear too ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Any spring will clear the tires since at full stuff they will all be in the same position, flat. What you should be concerned about is where the center pin is, and how that is going to affect where you plan to put your hangers and steering.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Well, take my opinion for what it is worth, but I would not, absolutely not do business with Trail Gear. I would rather give my money to Marlin or All-Pro or Summit Racing for a set of Rancho springs than give it to Trail Gear.

As for springs, my Marlin 4 inch Made in the USA springs have been great to me for the last two years. I run 37s with no problems and that is with a V6 plus a bumper and winch. I know that Yogi in AZ has had many experiences with Ranchos on his double cab.

I realize that $250 is temping and so is the free shipping, but I would do business with a vendor with a reputation of excellence. Marlin was just at the Cal4Wheel convention rubbing elbows with us common folk like he was just another wheeler. Same with Jon, from All-Pro, who put on one heck of an event at Johnson Valley . . . for free!!!!

Tim

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Timbuddha said:
Well, take my opinion for what it is worth, but I would not, absolutely not do business with Trail Gear. I would rather give my money to Marlin or All-Pro or Summit Racing for a set of Rancho springs than give it to Trail Gear.

I realize that $250 is temping and so is the free shipping, but I would do business with a vendor with a reputation of excellence.

Tim

x 10 million. Those who do it the right way, should see the coin. Those who lack scruples, should be shunned like a plague.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Not to start an argument, but I've personally asked several people on the various springs and its about a 50/50 split on love em or hate TG, and its usually not the product, but the people there, but then again theres only a $50 difference b/t the 2 for the same springs. You decide.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Timbuddha said:
Well, take my opinion for what it is worth, but I would not, absolutely not do business with Trail Gear.
This is not the first time I have seen a comment like this. What is it that Trail Gear did to start all of this? Is it just the service, or are their products shitty? I have read good and bad, like with any vendor/product, but did they shaft someone or something?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well I am about to do about $800 worth of business with one of em, so if there are some "real" problems with em, please pm me, no need to make it "public" but i would like to know. Thanks in advanced-

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Heatstroke said:
Ding Ding Ding.
Not trying to start anything, but was it trail gear or chris Gieger that shafted so many?

My money is still going to Marlin either way!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Enzogfx said:
Well I am about to do about $800 worth of business with one of em, so if there are some "real" problems with em, please pm me, no need to make it "public" but i would like to know. Thanks in advanced-

Grab yourself a soda and some popcorn before you read this one.

Trail Gear Thread

Tim

·
Registered
947 Posts
I would also like to get a link or something if its already been posted. I have not found anything, but hear negative things in threads like this here and there. I too was looking as some of thier products, but am a little worried.

Oh, nevermind, thanks Tim.. We were posting at the same time..

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Enzogfx said:
Trail Gear loves to woo with free shipping inexpensive parts, and one stop shopping. This seems like a good thing and a tempting deal. If you read the thread that Tim posted you will see what kind of people run Trail Gear and you can make up your own mind but I highly suggest you read that thread even though it's very long. I am going to try not to bash TG to much (even though I want to :D ) in an attempt to keep this thread open. I will say though I wouldn't spend a dime with them. I don't have to have a bad experiance with someone to know I don't want to do business with them. :2cents:

Here is some spring tech to add:
I ran 7 leaf waggys for a couple years and I must say they flex better than most leafs I have ever seen. The problem is they will start to become unhappy after a time of being used like this. My 7 leaf waggys turned into a W shape. If I still ran leaf springs I'd be running a pair of Marlin Crawler USA made springs. They seem to be the some of the best leafs out right now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts