TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got the Marlin Twin Stick on their Tacoma/4Runner and how do you like it?

Can you shift from 2wd low to 2wd high while moving?

Incidentally, I have a '99 4Runner 4wd V6 5speed.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
dragr1 said:
Who's got the Marlin Twin Stick on their Tacoma/4Runner and how do you like it?

Can you shift from 2wd low to 2wd high while moving?

Incidentally, I have a '99 4Runner 4wd V6 5speed.
I love my twin stick, I use it all the time.

You don't want to switch from low to high or vice versa while moving.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike said:
I love my twin stick, I use it all the time.

You don't want to switch from low to high or vice versa while moving.

Later,
....Mike
Yeah, I didn't figure you could move from low to high while moving, but thought I would ask. Thought it might be a cheap way to gain take off power on steep hills pulling a heavy trailer.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I have twin stcks, but they are FROR, not Marlin; they are in an early gear case, not a Taco/late Runner gear case. Shifting from lo to hi while rolling can be accomplished with a little practice, particularly with a 5-speed where you can synchronize speeds better by downshifting the transmission simultaneously with the xfer upshift.

BTW, how many threads are you going to start related to your towing issues? I have counted at least five so far!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Murderman said:
I have twin stcks, but they are FROR, not Marlin; they are in an early gear case, not a Taco/late Runner gear case. Shifting from lo to hi while rolling can be accomplished with a little practice, particularly with a 5-speed where you can synchronize speeds better by downshifting the transmission simultaneously with the xfer upshift.

BTW, how many threads are you going to start related to your towing issues? I have counted at least five so far!
Just trying to cover all the possibilities.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I used to have a '96 S/C V-6 4WD 5-speed Taco with 4.10's and 31's. I could pull my 2,200# car hauler empty with no problems [with the assiatance of electric trailer brakes], but when I would throw a rig on it and the trailer gross got above 6k pounds, it was pissing in the wind. That is why I now have a Tundra, which is marginal even in the flatlands of SE Texas.

Just curious, you sig says that you have an '04 Z71, why aren't you using it to tow?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Murderman said:
Just curious, you sig says that you have an '04 Z71, why aren't you using it to tow?

He tows his camper to the camp site with the runner when he goes to the trails.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
It would seem that a new clutch [the Centerforce in my FJ was absolutely killer!], and lower gears would both be in order then. They will also each help offroad, on top of towing.

Twin sticks are more useful for people with front auto lockers, not split shifting to tow with an arguable under-equipped rig. But, if changing gears, one might as well install the locker at the same time, and the twin sticks to go with it. :D

Trailer brakes [I prefer electric because of the realtime adjustability] are most important for anything towing something that weighs more than a fraction of the truck itself.....particularly in the hills.

There's .04 for you...

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Second the FRORF twin-stick. Because of it, I can use 2wd low, and have done so through all of the trails I have run in Moab. I can push my 33s well enough with the 4.88s and low range that most ledges one foot or under can be climbed, and even multiple ledge sections can be negotiated without 4wd.

Only problem I have had is the t-case staying in 4wd; it likes to pop out when bouncing on rocks, so I have to hold my hand on it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Murderman said:
It would seem that a new clutch [the Centerforce in my FJ was absolutely killer!], and lower gears would both be in order then. They will also each help offroad, on top of towing.

Twin sticks are more useful for people with front auto lockers, not split shifting to tow with an arguable under-equipped rig. But, if changing gears, one might as well install the locker at the same time, and the twin sticks to go with it. :D

Trailer brakes [I prefer electric because of the realtime adjustability] are most important for anything towing something that weighs more than a fraction of the truck itself.....particularly in the hills.

There's .04 for you...
Yes, electric brakes would be in order and probably a sway control device also. This camper would be in the order of 3500-3700 pounds when loaded and pulled for a trip, so yes my 4Runner is a marginal tow vehicle for that amount of weight. As stated above I tow the camper when going offroading and also on other camping trips about 8-10 times a year. I can tow it with the Z-71, but that is a company vehicle-the boss lets me use it like it was my own, but when going on longer trips (over 100 miles) he prefers me to take my own vehicle b/c of liability issues-we don't do any business where I go camping and offroading (out of state) and also b/c I already put over 60,000 miles a year on it anyway.

So, I'm just trying to figure out if I can tow a popup camper that is about 3700 pounds and about 19' total length safely or if I need to plan on selling the 4Runner and getting something else to offroad that will pull the camper.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Tow rig and trail rig are sort of mutually exclusive applications, but one would think the Runner could handle the 3,500#'s if properly equipped and maintained.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Only problem I have had is the t-case staying in 4wd; it likes to pop out when bouncing on rocks, so I have to hold my hand on it.

Mine does the same damn thing, it only gets put in 4 wheel when i get to the obsticals, then i normally forget to put it in 4 wheel, the next thing i hear from everyone is (is his front end broke?) then i slap it down and go, but that bastard wont stay in half the time, hell maybe i focked up the install, dunno, but its no brain surgery.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Murderman said:
Tow rig and trail rig are sort of mutually exclusive applications, but one would think the Runner could handle the 3,500#'s if properly equipped and maintained.

I'm not doing any real hardcore trails, so my rig does double duty.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I would suggest starting with electric trailer brakes and the sway control device that you already mentioned. Even if the Runner doesn't work out, they will be beneficial with whatever you use to tow it.

If the clutch smokes when you try to get rolling, it is probably in need of replacement. Centerforce is nice, because it gives more holding power without making the pedal pressure alot higher.

If it still seems to be struggling, shoot your wad on lower gears. Might as well throw in a locker or two while you are in the diffs. If you get a front auto locker, then get the twin sticks as well.

It is all about how much $$$ that you want to throw at the problem.

Just curious, do you use a weight distributing hitch, or have you beefed up the rear springs? It seems that most Runners are pretty soft in the ass end.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Murderman said:
I would suggest starting with electric trailer brakes and the sway control device that you already mentioned. Even if the Runner doesn't work out, they will be beneficial with whatever you use to tow it.

If the clutch smokes when you try to get rolling, it is probably in need of replacement. Centerforce is nice, because it gives more holding power without making the pedal pressure alot higher.

If it still seems to be struggling, shoot your wad on lower gears. Might as well throw in a locker or two while you are in the diffs. If you get a front auto locker, then get the twin sticks as well.

It is all about how much $$$ that you want to throw at the problem.

Just curious, do you use a weight distributing hitch, or have you beefed up the rear springs? It seems that most Runners are pretty soft in the ass end.
It's cheaper for me to regear and replace my clutch than to start all over with another vehicle. I already have the factory electric locker and for trails I do, I won't need a front locker. I have OME 891 rear springs and OME HD shocks-so the rear doesn't even squat to level with that trailer attached. I do have a Trailcarnage rear bumper-so I have to tow with an 8" drop hitch. You can see pics of it on my webshots page:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/155755898/155756698GXxyvj
http://community.webshots.com/photo/155755898/155756980lozqZf
http://community.webshots.com/photo/155755898/155757024qISvFG

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Sounds like a plan.

Don't forget the electric brakes; stopping is much more important than getting rolling. :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Murderman said:
Sounds like a plan.

Don't forget the electric brakes; stopping is much more important than getting rolling. :)
you got that right, with the f250 ive been using i would hate it with out the electic trailer brakes, but thats towing my 4600lbs truck on a 25ft gooseneck..

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
zszac111 said:
Mine does the same damn thing, it only gets put in 4 wheel when i get to the obsticals, then i normally forget to put it in 4 wheel, the next thing i hear from everyone is (is his front end broke?) then i slap it down and go, but that bastard wont stay in half the time, hell maybe i focked up the install, dunno, but its no brain surgery.
LOL, I know the feeling of thinking you broke something because the front end isn't turning. I first discovered the problem coming out of the creek on Cliffhanger in Moab. Damn 2-foot ledge in front of one rear tire, other tire was climbing a 1-foot rock, and the front was pushing up another ledge. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't making it up, then somebody (not the spotter :eek: ) pointed out that the front wasn't doing anything.

Whoops! Yank that 4wd lever back in and up I go. Happened again about 30 feet up the trail. 3-foot ledge all the way across, I pushed the front into, pushed the front tires up it, then romped on it trying to get the rear tires to grab and get me up. Forgot about 4wd. Made it all the way out in 2wd-low without realizing it.

Now in all the tricky sections where I know I'll need 4wd I just keep my hand on the lever so it doesn't go anywhere.

The install is nearly impossible to screw up if you know what needs to be done. Grind off the tab on the drivers side shift rail. That's it. You're right, it's not brain surgery.

Oh, well, I might just get a bungy cord to hold the lever in position.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
19 Participants
SafetyDang
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing