TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all of the threads on Pirate about and I can't decide, but I think I might have a problem . . .

Marlin Springs 47inches long
http://www.marlincrawler.com/springs.html
Rancho 44044s 43.63 inches long

Am I stuck with the Ranchos on my rig? The main leaf is bent on my JC Whitney spring which I believe is affecinting my alignment.

I'm in a freaking frenzy right now, bent springs, brakes that are giving me problems and a freaking leaky rear axle. All hell is breaking loose!!!

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
welcome to the club.

if i had money,i'd go with marlin stuff.no doubt.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Timbuddha said:
Marlin Springs 47inches long
http://www.marlincrawler.com/springs.html
Rancho 44044s 43.63 inches long
Where are you getting that the 44044s are 43.63" long? According to rancho (http://www.gorancho.com/documents03/03_catalog_specs_ 2.pdf) they are 47" (flat length), and from what I remember reading about marlin's srpings when they came out they were supposed to be similiar to the 44044s but specifically built for toyota's and rock crawling. I have been contemplating the same thing - switching to the marlin springs. I have read alot about how the 44044s are a really stiff spring for toyotas. Until recently I didn't think so until I drove dereks new setup with his custom alcan front springs and it rides so smooth compared to mine. So I would have to say that the 44044s are definately stiff! Your best bet would be to call marlin and ask if thier springs can be used in place of the 44044s. I would but I just haven't gotten around to it, and if I can get you to do it... hehehehehe ;)

All the info I have read makes me believe that marlins springs would work. They are both 47" eye to eye (along the spring, or flat length), and depending on which way you have your 44044s mounted now (short side vs. long side forward, etc) the marlin springs will move your axle forward or back - which may be a good thing.

later!
shane

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going off the measurements off of pirate in the FAQ section, but if you go that measurement from rancho than I must be smoking something. Just out of curiosity are you running yours long side forward or short side forward? I will give Marlin a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ahhh, OK. I just looked at the FAQ and you are correct, however, it appears that those measurements are not along the spring but simply eye to eye. According to marlins web site - " Spring measurements are taken along the leaf and not direct from hole to hole." So it sounds like the 44044s and marlins springs are the same length. Oh, and I am running the long side forward. Let me know what you find out after talking to marlin.

thanks!
shane

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Shane-

I went to all-pro today today to return some stuff I didn't need and was hoping to pic up a set of springs from them, but the only ones that they have are the super flex buggy leafs which are 47 inches long and the guys at All-Pro think that they will be too flexy under the weight of the Taco. They really didn't have any other springs that would work for me so I guess that it is back to the drawing board. Chris at Marlin seems to think that the 44044s are too soft where as the Marlins are a bit stiffer. I liked the ride of my stock waggy springs, but they were way too soft for everyday driving espcially with my body lift, but they sure did flex awesome on the trail so now it is back to the drawing board. Jay at All-Pro said it is not good to run the military wrap on any spring towards the rear as it puts more pressure on the arched point in the spring. I didn't quite understand what he was saying, but then again I was drooling over other parts in their shop. I'm still not quite sure what I am going to do. Marlin's springs are going to run me $300 shipped to my door. Choices, choices.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Timbuddha said:
Chris at Marlin seems to think that the 44044s are too soft
Thats the first time I have heard that. I have always heard that the 44044 are too stiff. I know mine are, or were. I recently put on shorter shackles - went from 5.5" down to 4.5" (hole to hole). Now my shackle angle is right about 45* and it rides a lot better. Could still be a little softer but not worth messing with. So for now I am happy with the 44044s.

You could get a custom set built to the specs (length, center pin location) of the waggy springs but have them change up the spring rate and lift to fit your needs. Might be more than you want to spend though.

Thanks for the info!
shane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
gambrinus
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing