TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'd like to thank my buddy Phong for coming over yesterday to help me install a new 4.10 third. For those that didn't know I had 3.91 gears w/and LSD in the rear and 4.10 in the front when I bought the truck. Life is much better now with the matching gears, I can use 4WD again. The install went fairly smooth except I wasn't able to reuse my axle shafts. For some reason after installing the 3rd member the backing plate and the flange on the axle housing wouldn't mate up. After a couple of minutes of scratching our head we tried the axle shafts from the donor axle and they worked fine. Now I can take my time buying 4.56 gears and getting those installed on the LSD equipped 3rd member and front diff.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
The install went fairly smooth except I wasn't able to reuse my axle shafts. For some reason after installing the 3rd member the backing plate and the flange on the axle housing wouldn't mate up. .
Glad - I could help and get you squared away.

Basically it was as if the old axle shafts were bottoming out with the new diff-
They would not go in all the way... they were sticking out about 1/8"-1/4" on each side.
Close inspection of the contact area on the new vs old axle shafts looked like newer axle shafts were going in deeper into the 4.10 diff relative to the old axle shafts into the 3.91 LSD diff.

Maybe if we had more time - we could have taken closer look at things and taken some measurments.

·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so Phong, my brake light is on in my truck, should I adjust my parking brake. LOL!!

·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the heads up my friend.

·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
besides the axle shafts not fitting properly, it was an easy swap. Thanks for dropping it off for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts