TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just curious (Entertain the thought)... I'd like to know if anyone here has ever seen one of these set ups in action ?.. http://www.mattracks.com/

I'd suppose a SnowCat would make this not a worthy investment... But they make it sound easily interchangeable (curious of the truth to that)...

Check out the clips... http://www.mattracks.com/html/video_clips.htm

I saw one of these parked up in Big Bear (But not in operation)... thought it was a 'Yota (can't remember)... Couldn't remember if it was near Big Bear Ski Lodge or Snow Valley... Was quite awhile back though...

I'm sure it's been covered before... But lets rehash it again... LOL
Here's all I found... http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7479&highlight=MATTRACKS
Bryanccfshr's toy looks to be a custom purpose built rig though...

Anyone have some real world clips of these in action ?

I'm really curious as to how these install on the stock drive train...

Maybe this ain't 4X tech within reality... But it looks technical to me...

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Ive seen a vid of a Heep Grand Waggy with these. badass. But I prefer winching along with MT's. Its more challenging that way. :D

Might try searching youtube.com for some more vid-age.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
LOL Looks like more than 1 person spent half the morning looking at those things. After Tacodell posted the link in my thread, I was looking at them for awhile too.

I know a guy with them on his quad but I haven't seen em in action. Any idea on the cost for a set on our trucks? (not that I'd be getting them)

I'm also curious of the ease of installation, they say it's like swapping tires. I can't imagine you just lifting these outta the back of the truck and throwing them on. Maybe they roll easy so you can roll them into place and them bolt them up.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
interesting. The letter mentions each unit weighs 360# and needing a crane to put them in place. So I suppose they don't just roll into place and my thoughts on lifting them in and out of the back of the truck is out of the question.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
as far as experienced mechanics go, thats relative, also depends how strong you are, and how smart you are... i routinely lift 150 pound boxes by myself with no power assistance, just by using my head (well not literally, some is brute force, but i use a lot of lifting in stages and leverage)... and as far as the mechanics go, i worked with an ASE certified brake and alignment technician that asked me (when i was a tire tech) how to change drum brakes.....

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
costman13 said:
in this letter to mattracks it said it took 3 experienced mechanics 5 hours to install, after claimin a 30 min install...
That guy is apparantly an idiot who did no research. he has no idea what lockers are or what theyre for. He thought he'd put on Mattracks and turn his vehicle into a tank. Not so.

As for having a dedicated vehicle to put them on, all it took for me to realize that was common sense. Apparantly he has none. Sure they are claimed to be swappable in 30 mins. But unless you live in Antarctica you know you're gonna be on pavement some of the time.

And if he's bitching about the cost of installing lockers, maybe he was going out of his wallet in the first place with just purchasing the Mattracks.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I rode around in this Hummer and it was unreal. The homemade snorkel was definitely needed for the snow this thing pushed through. They use it as a supply runner at a cat skiiing operation I went to.

Here's a picture of the last time I was out there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SteveO said:
I rode around in this Hummer and it was unreal. The homemade snorkel was definitely needed for the snow this thing pushed through. They use it as a supply runner at a cat skiiing operation I went to.
I think that place is featured in this years Warren Miller film "Off the Grid".

Sweet machine.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
The ski resort here tried them on several GM 3/4 trucks and then they really started going through the ball joints and tie-rod ends. A guide service had them on many of their H1 Hummers and they were seen hauling ass on the Interstate occasionally. They're as rare as a screened door on a submarine around here now. I guess that they weren't worth it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The featured those on Trucks TV a while back. On the show they mentioned they could go 35 mph on pavement????

I would like to see petersons compare these to a set of aired down boggers. And noone has listed the price yet unless I missed it, but I heard they were $20k a set.

Ryan

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
CajunTaco said:
And noone has listed the price yet unless I missed it, but I heard they were $20k a set.

Ryan

HA........ FUCK that!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts