TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the max amount of lift available from the stock rear springs? I read that you can cut down the springs from the same pack 2.5" and then add them to the existig pack for about 3" of lift (keeping the overload) Would adding an AL to this be able to yield 5" lift? IO am asking because i have the 6" fabtech on my truck and the rear is sitting low. I have 1.5" lift shackles to install which would level it out, but I want to ditch the block. I also have another fabtech AAL I could cut down, but running two AALs even of different lengths may make the ride to harsh. Right now I do not have the cash for new rear springs as I am saving to have my gears done. If it cant work, I will just add the shackle and keep the blocks for now. What do you all think?

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
joeylead said:
What is the max amount of lift available from the stock rear springs? I read that you can cut down the springs from the same pack 2.5" and then add them to the existig pack for about 3" of lift (keeping the overload) Would adding an AL to this be able to yield 5" lift? IO am asking because i have the 6" fabtech on my truck and the rear is sitting low. I have 1.5" lift shackles to install which would level it out, but I want to ditch the block. I also have another fabtech AAL I could cut down, but running two AALs even of different lengths may make the ride to harsh. Right now I do not have the cash for new rear springs as I am saving to have my gears done. If it cant work, I will just add the shackle and keep the blocks for now. What do you all think?
I did the chevy spring swap for the price reasons

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
joeylead said:
Right after I did the rebuild I still had my shackle on... I had over 5 of lift- with the rebuilt pack (2 leaves from tacoma pack + cut down Fabtech aal) and the shackle. So 6" is entirely possible. I would recomend however, that you use more than 2 leaves from the stock pack. Try to use all three + overload + shackle.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
joeylead said:
3"
the best way to do it is to have a spring shop add a 4th leaf of the exact same spring material and then re-arch the whole pk to 3" over stock. A local shop here does this for under $300.

just adding a leaf whether it's an AAL or from another leaf pk will only transfer a lot of stress to that one new leaf. This is one of the reasons why you read of so many AALs breaking.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm looking to rebuild my pack by removing the overload and a 2.5" AAL, then putting in three "new" factory leaves and rearching. Do you guys think a 6 leaf pack like this will restore ~2" lift?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ptrautne said:
I did the chevy spring swap for the price reasons

The chevy swap does seem attractive, but I need good carrying capacity (I thought the chevs are real soft) but really the problem is that I cannot weld.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hytenor said:
3"
the best way to do it is to have a spring shop add a 4th leaf of the exact same spring material and then re-arch the whole pk to 3" over stock. A local shop here does this for under $300.

just adding a leaf whether it's an AAL or from another leaf pk will only transfer a lot of stress to that one new leaf. This is one of the reasons why you read of so many AALs breaking.
the idea is to use all 3 leaves from both packs. Just cut down the leaves from the donor pack to where the are a size i betwen the other leaves. I could then throw in the AAL wherever it would fit sizewise. I would end up being a 6 leaf pack most likey.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
atwinda said:
Right after I did the rebuild I still had my shackle on... I had over 5 of lift- with the rebuilt pack (2 leaves from tacoma pack + cut down Fabtech aal) and the shackle. So 6" is entirely possible. I would recomend however, that you use more than 2 leaves from the stock pack. Try to use all three + overload + shackle.

That is about what I wanted to try and do. Use all 3 original leaves, probably 2 from the donor set and the AAL. I would cut them so they would all be shorter lengths as you go from top to bottom. I would keep the overload and then also use the shackles. I guess worst come to worst, if it isnt enough lift at that point, a reall small block wouldnt be to bad as the spring pack would be stronger.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
joeylead said:
That is about what I wanted to try and do. Use all 3 original leaves, probably 2 from the donor set and the AAL. I would cut them so they would all be shorter lengths as you go from top to bottom. I would keep the overload and then also use the shackles. I guess worst come to worst, if it isnt enough lift at that point, a reall small block wouldnt be to bad as the spring pack would be stronger.
Use all three leaves from the donor pack. The more the better. you'd end up with 7 altogether.. not bad, IMO.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
hornito said:
I'm looking to rebuild my pack by removing the overload and a 2.5" AAL, then putting in three "new" factory leaves and rearching. Do you guys think a 6 leaf pack like this will restore ~2" lift?
way too much overkill IMO. You can achieve a good 3" lift with only one OE configuration leaf added (not some aftermarket AAL) and having the whole thing re-arched. And keep the factory overload as well as extend your OE bumpstops to keep the new springs from too much negative arch.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hytenor said:
way too much overkill IMO. You can achieve a good 3" lift with only one OE configuration leaf added (not some aftermarket AAL) and having the whole thing re-arched. And keep the factory overload as well as extend your OE bumpstops to keep the new springs from too much negative arch.
You are right about the 3" lift, but I am trying to get almost 5" out of the pack. Maybe it wont work, but I may try it before getting new springs.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
joeylead said:
You are right about the 3" lift, but I am trying to get almost 5" out of the pack. Maybe it wont work, but I may try it before getting new springs.
that won't work; the springs aren't long enough to do that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Maybe have a fab shop make drop down brackets for the front and rear? This is an easy way to get more lift and no change in spring capacity. A small spacer tube on the front and rear ends between the framerail and spring can give you what you need. If you could weld, then you could do it yourself. How much lift does the chevy leaf spring swap give you? This idea would be about the same as adding the perches for the chevy swap.

For you extra leaf guys, how much does this help with the load carrying capacity? My truck squats with next to no weight in the bed, and when I have my atv loaded, then the headlights are shining in the treetops :(

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
tacoted said:
Maybe have a fab shop make drop down brackets for the front and rear? This is an easy way to get more lift and no change in spring capacity. A small spacer tube on the front and rear ends between the framerail and spring can give you what you need. If you could weld, then you could do it yourself. How much lift does the chevy leaf spring swap give you? This idea would be about the same as adding the perches for the chevy swap.

For you extra leaf guys, how much does this help with the load carrying capacity? My truck squats with next to no weight in the bed, and when I have my atv loaded, then the headlights are shining in the treetops :(
one of the problems with trying that is getting the axle centered correctly. screwing up even a little can ruin your whole day. If you are going to add aftermarket front perches you might just as well go with longer springs anyway.
Chebby springs give anywhere from 4" on up depending on condition, arch, what truck they came off of, etc.

On average, adding one extra leaf will give you another 500# of load cap.
OE springs are designed to look the way they do...Toyota wanted the Taco to ride like a car.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
joeylead said:
good call, I didnt even consider that little problem!
heck, the only reason I knew that was because I asked the guy who re-arched my springs last week. ;) learn somethin's new everyday.

·
Registered
195 Posts
OE springs are designed to look the way they do...Toyota wanted the Taco to ride like a car.[/QUOTE]
So, if I cut up an extra set and add it to mine, I should have no problems with my weight capacity. If I understand you right, I will have about an extra 500# capacity, and 2-3" lift?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
tacoted said:
OE springs are designed to look the way they do...Toyota wanted the Taco to ride like a car.
So, if I cut up an extra set and add it to mine, I should have no problems with my weight capacity. If I understand you right, I will have about an extra 500# capacity, and 2-3" lift?[/QUOTE]

yes, but IF and only IF you have the whole thing re-arched to your specified lift up to 3". if you just stick another leaf in there it won't work especially if the old leaves are flattened out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks, but the "old" leaves are only 2 years old. I am not particularly looking for lift, just weight capacity. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
tacoted said:
Thanks, but the "old" leaves are only 2 years old. I am not particularly looking for lift, just weight capacity. Again, thanks.
Just jumpin in to give tacoted the quote of the day award...("if it aint broke..) god knows i'm always fixin' mine!! Happy Wheelin....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts