TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've run a few different tires now on my truck. When I first did the swap, I was running BFG km2's.... 37x12.5x17's on kmc hoss aluminum wheels. I was running a different housing and had STOCK 80 series birfs and stock 80 series inners. I had 4.88's with the arb. Rear was stock Toyota setup with a 3link and coils. I only wheeled it a few times and it did just fine. I'm not one to "hammer it thru" if I'm having trouble... I'll try another line and take it slow and steady. This has always been my motto when wheelin. When I'm in the dunes, I'm heavy on the gas and I have no issues.

I then redid the rearend and the front end as I bent the axles and didn't like the setup. .. Ruff stuff housings, chromo custom inners and 300m 80 series birfs . ford 9" in back with chromo 35 splines arb and 4.88's. I also went to kmc enduro beadlocks and the fata$$ heffer Toyo's. the Toyo's actually measure 37x14.5x17. They weigh 98lbs a piece!!! I have wheeled this setup quite a bit now... Deer valley, slick rock, rubicon, fordyce, pismo. Multiple times. I've pushed it on obstacles like soup bowl on the Con, and up the winch hills on fordyce.

I'm happy with the setup and the way it performs and drives on road. I must say, I did notice a power loss as well as a hit on mpg after going to the Toyo's as they are over 20 lbs heavier per tire than km2's. I love the strength, look, and performance of the Toyo's. I'm at about 60% tread left on them and I'm ready to sell them and get new tires. (always do this to recoup money before they get useless).

My questions now... What size? I tow an Offroad trailer now so I want to be able to drive far like Moab, and other long road trips. I'm gonna go with the mtr with Kevlar. Because I've heard great things and they are way lighter! I would like to step up a tire size. A 40" mtr is like 15 lbs lighter per tire than the toyo 37". Confusing right!!?? I also am thinking of a 38x14.5. This is still much lighter than the toyo. I think with the weight savings on either, I might get the power and mpgs back... I kno I will with the 38's.

That being said... Do you guys think I will have issues with a 38 or a 40? I'm not a heavy gas pedal guy in the rocks. I'm running 300m inners and birfs. Plus they are the much bigger 80series and not the Toyota mini truck birfs. I see the mini truck guys running 40's on the con all day long. Why wouldn't I be fine with 40's??

I'm just curious. I kno going from 37 to a 40, there is more leverage, but isn't weight savings helping that? Being the toyo is so heavy? I'm pretty much set on a 38x14.5 ( the 37 is only 12.5 wide, don't like that as Toyo's are 14.2-14.5 wide and I love that). So with a 38 I will get another inch.

What are your thoughts on size increase and weight savings and the strength threshold of my setup. I kno people are not as familiar with the strength on my setup as people usually go mini truck and not 80 series, but it's a huge upgrade in strength compared to mini.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong either way especially since both the 38 and the 40 are lighter than your current tire/wheel combo. I'd be a little concerned about running a 40 on an 8" diff with the weight of a 4th gen coupled with the strength of 80 birfs and the lefty case but there are tons of guys hammering on 8" fronts with mini-truck outers and 38-40" tires. So if you're light on the pedal you'd probably be alright not to mention the 40's would fill out the front glass nicely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts