TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much travel can you pull out of the deaver replacment springs(F42), and what length shock would you recommend for this application

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so a 14" shock is what i need, would you recommend getting a triple bypass shock, or would that be too much for this set up, or should i just stick with a 2.5 shock body and external resivior? because right now i am running the deaver add a leaf with the donahoe remote resi's and it doesn't seem like it rides all that smooth, the rear end bucks alot but the front rides smooth. is there that much of a difference between a deaver add a leaf and donahoe shocks compared to 7 leaf deavers and 14" shocks? also where is a couple of good places to buy deaver springs, now that demello doesn't carry them

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
usaf_taco said:
so a 14" shock is what i need, would you recommend getting a triple bypass shock, or would that be too much for this set up, or should i just stick with a 2.5 shock body and external resivior? because right now i am running the deaver add a leaf with the donahoe remote resi's and it doesn't seem like it rides all that smooth, the rear end bucks alot but the front rides smooth. is there that much of a difference between a deaver add a leaf and donahoe shocks compared to 7 leaf deavers and 14" shocks? also where is a couple of good places to buy deaver springs, now that demello doesn't carry them
i went with a 14" stroke 2.5" dia. double bypass. its nice to be able to adjust the ride without tearing apart the shock.

yes itll be a big difference if you are still running on stock springs. you might want to try the hoes with a full deaver pack before you go buy the 14s

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I don't know what my staight verticle travel is but measuring from the flare Tire goes just up inside the well at full stuff and at full extention between 17-18" I've got a 10 leave dever pack and 12" travel bills mount like this.

Almost fully extended here -

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so stick with the d-hoes and just concentrate on buying a set of deavers.there was a ton of 7 leaf deavers going for 300-400 buxs, now no one is selling them, and i would rather not spend 500+.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was searching around and found out that all-pro is selling rear springs for 250$, are these equal to deavers, or do the all-pro's ride like crap?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a deaver 8-pack and Donahoe Rear Shocks and the ride is good, but it still bucks up, not a lot. The front handles better than the rear. I'm either going to do a bed cage or do an under the bed shock hoops with a longer shock sometime this summer.

·
Registered
513 Posts
TBob said:
I don't know what my staight verticle travel is but measuring from the flare Tire goes just up inside the well at full stuff and at full extention between 17-18" I've got a 10 leave dever pack and 12" travel bills mount like this.

With your shocks angled in like that, aren't worried about wearing down the seals when the axle moves side to side?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
GreenTaco said:
I have a deaver 8-pack and Donahoe Rear Shocks and the ride is good, but it still bucks up, not a lot. The front handles better than the rear. I'm either going to do a bed cage or do an under the bed shock hoops with a longer shock sometime this summer.
hell even my setup bucks, but it takes a big hit to do it. thats what these are for :D

·
Registered
912 Posts
usaf_taco said:
i was searching around and found out that all-pro is selling rear springs for 250$, are these equal to deavers, or do the all-pro's ride like crap?
I've been happy with all-pro's for the price. Have em on my 83(long travel springs) and my 05(stock replacement 1.5" lift springs). Had to do a little tuning on both sets to get em just right.
Also look at their "superflex" long travel springs (3"lift *[see note] on sale) or 4" lift standard long travel springs. They also sell weld on spring hangers to relocate front and are available in bigger arcs to convert to spring under. All pro and TC sell great kits to convert to spring under (spring plates, u-bolts, u-bolt mount plates) but this will all add up if your trying to save $ and will require cutting/grinding of old spring hangers, re-positioning and cycling leaf springs for proper driveshaft plunge and axle alignment, setting correct pinion angle, and finally welding new spring hangers. Should cycle about 15" of travel on 3" springs and 16" on 4" springs.

*NOTE: These springs won't give you 3-4 inches of lift if you run them spring UNDER axle.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
so it is most likely the springs that are causing the truck to buck. i doubt the donahoe shocks are causing it to buck.but i think i am going to get some all pro springs to start with.i wouldn't mind doing a spring under, but with being in the military, hobbies revolve around budgets.what is the pressure suppose to be at in the resi?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
usaf_taco said:
how much travel can you pull out of the deaver replacment springs(F42), and what length shock would you recommend for this application
With stock shackles and the F42's I think the most we got was almost 12in with Bilstien 12in short bodies under the bed. With longer shackles you can pull about 12 maybe 13in. This was with near stock height bump stops and this is only the measurement between the bump stops.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
TBob said:

tbob thats not 17" of travel lol.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
hes gotta be measureing from tire to fender or something, because the proper way to measure true travel hes not getting 17" hell i had 18" with my 62's and that was with the leafs starting to fan out... hes not getting anything close to that with his pack.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Enlighten us Corey. What is the proper way to measure true travel?
Bump to bump?
Honest question, no sarcasm.

well since you said no sarcasm and all..

if you droop the truck out to its max with the shocks on and measure from your bump stop to bump stop that will tell you what your true travel # is... its not hard, but measuring tire to fender is like measuring how tall you are by using your shoe... it just doesnt work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
10 Participants
usaf_taco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing