TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks, I ran up and over Yankee Hill Road last weekend from Alice to Central City and its good to go for a nice stock vehicle run. Planning to do it the same day as our May meet & greet. Depart 11am and be back in Denver by 5pm. Tentatively meet at entrance to Clear Creek Canyon (dirt parking on south side of the highway).

It's a longer trail (~10miles) with some totally optional difficult scrambling on Yankee Hill proper at the top. It's about an hour from downtown Denver with great views of the front range and St Mary's Glacier. I recommend running it from bottom to top (Central City to Alice).

Recommendations for this trail: 32" tires, all-weather clothing/gear, food/water, recovery points/gear, CB radio.

Attending:
fjcruzer123
RubrSideDwn
fj4M&E
jorechwa
xterra 01
FJeep
davestaco
thefatkid
mousetrap
talltodd
Bar3k

Perhaps:
ocr14a
Yanman
FJess

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey folks, sorry for the absenteeism, but finished up school, graduated and got a year older over the weekend :D

We have 2-3 rigs from the blue room joining the trail run, and perhaps the M&G. Weather looks good and hopefully we'll be in a god spot to see the solar eclipse unobstructed, so be sure to bring your pinhole camera :cool:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crap, I need to get out and wheel... but can't until I finish my rear suspension.

Have fun!
Duct tape man! I can loan you some...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not trying to ruin on anyones parade, but I live right next to where you want to meet up for the trail run. As of now (not sure when it goes till) they have that entrance to clear creek canyon close for some repair work they are doing. There is another entrance to the canyon a little further north on hwy93 along with other ways I'm sure that you can get up there. Its right at the intersection on googlemaps that you have shown where they have it closed.

http://www.cotrip.org/m/rcDtl.xhtml?id=5057&rd=44

Here is a link showing it is closed until the 18th...not sure if that date will hold though as construction always seems to take forever.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the heads-up. This is from CDOT as well:

Closed because of road work. Crews are installing fiber optics (to allow cell communications in the canyon), rock and tunnel work through Clear Creek Canyon.Project will run 24/7 beginning Sunday nights at 11, to Friday mornings at 10 am through 6/29 . Gaming areas remain open. The canyon will be open Weekends from Friday at 10 am to Sunday at 11 pm. Road closure began May 13th, 2012 at 11:00pm. Alternate route is Access to Blackhawk/Central City viaI-70 to Exit 244 or 243 .

Hopefully they will do as they have been and keep it open on the weekend...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm going to see if I can make this. Depends on if Hannah wants to wheel or stay with grandparents. I'll need to get a CB in the pickup or the 4runner depending on what I travel in.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
90 % sure I will make the trail run but not the meet and greet. I will keep changes updated.
We'll keep fingers crossed for the remaining 10%

I am now tentative as to if I can make this or not.

The shit has hit the fan here at work and I might have to work this weekend. :mad:
Remind them it's the weekEND!

I'm going to see if I can make this. Depends on if Hannah wants to wheel or stay with grandparents. I'll need to get a CB in the pickup or the 4runner depending on what I travel in.
It'd be great to have you along for the ride - damn, how long has it been...?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry Eric, will be driving the 'new' DD back from Chicago.

Hope those springs work out well and see you on the trail soon.
No worries. Safe travels and see you down the road.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts