TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday, my truck started loosing power in 4th and 5th gear. 1-3 the problem isn't noticed AT ALL. Once you get the 4th, it's difficult to get about 2000 rpms, and 45 mph.

At first I thought it might be fuel issues, so I checked all the usual suspects, TPS, changed the fuel filter (had one laying around), etc. Engine runs fine.

Now, it feels like the clutch is slipping. But only in 4th or 5th. It's weird.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sounds like the clutch. Thats about how mine went out. If I accelerated slowly it was ok, but when I pressed the gas for a quicker acceleration it would slip.

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just changed the clutch last year (6k miles?).

The only thing that makes me thing it's NOT the clutch, is the fact that the RPMs are steady at just under 2k when the "slipping" begins.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
From your discription it's not the clutch, if it was slipping the RPMs would climb.
More likely something to do with ignition. Get a CEL yet?
I'm assuming you cleaned the MAF already. The next step would be to troubleshoot sensors, I'd look at the exhaust sensors, could possibly be an obstruction in the catalytic convertor. Whened you last do a real tune-up?
Whats the mileage? Maybe timing belt ready to go and slipping under load?

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From your discription it's not the clutch, if it was slipping the RPMs would climb.
More likely something to do with ignition. Get a CEL yet?
I'm assuming you cleaned the MAF already. The next step would be to troubleshoot sensors, I'd look at the exhaust sensors, could possibly be an obstruction in the catalytic convertor. Whened you last do a real tune-up?
Whats the mileage? Maybe timing belt ready to go and slipping under load?
no cel's yet

TPS - within acceptable ranges
MAF - didn't actually check this, [hangs head in shame] but I've cleaned it within 9 months

Timing belt was replaced about 30k ago.

Real professional tune-up? Not since I've owned it. I do maintenance and keep it well lubed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine also stutered in 1st 2nd and 3rd when accelerating at one time. Ended up being bad plug wires.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The truck does sputter at all does it?

I had something sort of similar although not exactly. Mine would struggle about 2000 rpms but also when it was idling i could tell that there was a irratic sputter.

Mine turned out to be the spark plug wires. One of my spark plug wires developed a small pinhole and it was sparking and grounding out against the block. I guess i only noticed it with the higher RPM's because of it having to create a hotter spark which would it would need to arc it's self to the block.

I would suggest getting wires for the dealership. I know they are more expensive but the set that messed up was the cheepy set i got from autozone.

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The truck does sputter at all does it?

I had something sort of similar although not exactly. Mine would struggle about 2000 rpms but also when it was idling i could tell that there was a irratic sputter.

Mine turned out to be the spark plug wires. One of my spark plug wires developed a small pinhole and it was sparking and grounding out against the block. I guess i only noticed it with the higher RPM's because of it having to create a hotter spark which would it would need to arc it's self to the block.

I would suggest getting wires for the dealership. I know they are more expensive but the set that messed up was the cheepy set i got from autozone.
No sputtering, but a good suggestion.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Plug wires could indeed be the culprit. A dirty MAF will act like this also, either one will sometimes act up without a CEL.
Professional tune-up? All the shop is gonna do is change the air filter, sell ya a set of plug wires, change the plugs, check the battery and igniter connections, and possibly look at where the timing is. They'll also try to sell ya a fuel filter.
New cars have very little to do at tune-up time, plugs every tune-up, wires at 60k, cover the electrical connections on the igniters with lithium grease, change the air and fuel filters, add a can of multi purpose Injector, fuel tank, fuel line cleaner, and charge you $239.95.
If your changing your plugs every 30K, wires every 60K, air filter other oil change, and fuel filter when you suspect a problem your doing what a professional is doing. And paying less.

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plug wires could indeed be the culprit. A dirty MAF will act like this also, either one will sometimes act up without a CEL.
Professional tune-up? All the shop is gonna do is change the air filter, sell ya a set of plug wires, change the plugs, check the battery and igniter connections, and possibly look at where the timing is. They'll also try to sell ya a fuel filter.
New cars have very little to do at tune-up time, plugs every tune-up, wires at 60k, cover the electrical connections on the igniters with lithium grease, change the air and fuel filters, add a can of multi purpose Injector, fuel tank, fuel line cleaner, and charge you $239.95.
If your changing your plugs every 30K, wires every 60K, air filter other oil change, and fuel filter when you suspect a problem your doing what a professional is doing. And paying less.
I was thinking more along the lines of injector cleaning, engine seals, etc, but everything you mentioned, I consider my job :D

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

I took it to a shop early this morning a couple blocks away from my house, and their initial check said that the exhaust pressure seems to change when you go into 4th gear.

They are sending it to an exhaust shop for a back-pressure check.

Will know more tomorrow, but it's sounding like the cat.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
you can get cheap aftermarket magnaflow cats at places like summit or jegs. check out this site to get the part numbers: http://www.car-sound.com/ you would pay around a grand a piece of you go with cats from the dealer. are you still in the 80,000 mile exhaust warranty window?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Nope he's way out:

"147,000"

I would read up on the aftermarket cats first. Some people have had problems with them. CEL's, performance, things like that.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Nope he's way out:

"147,000"

I would read up on the aftermarket cats first. Some people have had problems with them. CEL's, performance, things like that.
I have had the magnaflow cats for 2+ years with no problems. I got an increase in power (probably due to the fact my cats were clogged) and better exhaust sound.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Yup, sounds like a cat problem or a dirty EGR sensor or cloged OX sensor. does your check engine turn on, does the bulb work? LOL. had to ask, never know. if on, then check for codes at your local auto part store. If they say something about it being too rich or something about uneven burn on which ever bank then it sounds like EGR is dirty or cloged OS that is if your plugs and wires are good. check them both. careful the bolts tend to brake. take it easy on them.

GL!

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Well Wes, whats the verdict?

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well Wes, whats the verdict?
It's not the cat, according to them.

They wanted to drive it around some more yesterday. During that time, they said the problem stopped occurring.

So maybe some bad gas? If so, that's the 2nd time in 2 months, with 2 different vehicles. I don't freak'n know. I'm going to pick it up sometime tomorrow. If it returns, they said "bring it back".

:mad:

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
When was the timing belt done? Check to make sure the crank bolt is tight.
Sometimes the crank bolt works loose and then the ring for the crank sensor comes loose and vibrates at higher rpm or loads causing the engine to lose power.

If it Aint that I'm sure its something expensive.....
Bring it by the shop and we can look at it.

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When was the timing belt done? Check to make sure the crank bolt is tight.
Sometimes the crank bolt works loose and then the ring for the crank sensor comes loose and vibrates at higher rpm or loads causing the engine to lose power.
At about 103,000.

If it Aint that I'm sure its something expensive.....
Oh goodie!

Soon as I get it back, I'll be headed your way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts